TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Do I need my GCSES that badly that it's going to effect my job prospects? - August 29th 2015, 05:38 PM

I recently got my a job which took me a while to get but it's going to clash with my college course I have applied to do.

I applied to do an English and Maths GCSE course because I currently have the one before GCSE which is called functional skills level 2 so I believe I never got the little peace of paper from the college yet saying I passed or not but I'm going to assume I have for now anyway. I would very much like to do functional skills level 3 (GCSE Equivalent) I don't want to be held back by my poor performance at school and the grades which I finished with were very shameful ones. Working is more important for me then college below I'm going to underline the benefits of each.

Work: I will be gaining money and experience in the world of work.

College: I will be gaining friends (possibly) and those GCSE grades.

I was asking my brother who has lots of experience with the world of work as he has done pretty well for his self he said that GCSES are they do is allow you to take A levels that's about it. I would imagine they do help surely if not you wouldn't have been made to do them at school.

One big factor is friends I'm obviously going to meet tons of people like I have done previously at college but failed to make any friends i'm in desperate need of one good friend I feel like college is a good place to find one but I could also find one at work but it's a slimmer chance as theres less people. The plan is that once I make that one first friend I will be able to meet his friends and make more friends it's just getting that first one which is so important to me! I don't think I will meet many people on the night courses because I think they are mainly designed for adults and people who don't have time to do it during the day because the college is closed at nights and only a few rooms are open I believe. I struggled to make friends in my previous years at college because I was suffering with mental health problems and I was to shy to speak to anyone.

What road do you think I should take? I could always do night courses at my college to get my GCSE grades if I need to which would fit around my work.

Please take in to account that i'm not asking for you to make my decision for me I would just like to see it from other peoples prospective at the end of the day it's my decision and my responsibility.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by bringmethehorizon♥; August 29th 2015 at 06:57 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Do I need my GCSES that badly that it's going to effect my job prospects? - August 29th 2015, 06:10 PM

Hey Justin,

Sounds like you have a lot to think about right now, and with education comes a lot of very different view points. I know a lot of older people (my parents age and usually males) who would say that education isn't the most important thing to consider and that work is what you need to focus on, but I'm going to tell you what I've experienced so far in the hope that you'll get a bit of both sides of the story.

On my job hunt, the main thing that I see people asking for in an applicant is a C or equivalent in maths and english at GCSE. It's not always a requirement, but for most it is. In the job that you've just got, is it something you can see yourself doing long term? Is it a career or just a job? If it's just a way of earning a bit for now, maybe consider sticking with college and seeing if you can cut back your hours or shift your hours around a bit to make room for both since having your GCSE grades will help you find a career later on.

College is a really good way to make friends, but make sure that's ot the only reason you choose that. Education is an can be really amazing and personally I really love it. It's stressful and challenging but it opens up a lot of gateways. You could go to university begin an apprenticeship, or just be a better equip to deal with life. Knowledge is great and sharing it with friends can make it a lot of fun too. Of course you can meet friends at work too, and often at work people are less judgemental. It's a professional environment and at my work, everyone gets on with everyone and goes out for drinks every week if they can! It can be a lot of fun that way too.

I'm sure other people might have a bit of actual advice rather than just information for you so I'll leave it there and wish you the best. Whatever you do, make sure it's right for you! Either way, you can go back to college later and you can go back to work later, so it's not the absolute end of the world if its the wrong decision - at least you tried and thought it was the right one.

Take care and good luck!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread