TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DBSTH Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cops and they're past drug use - September 21st 2015, 12:40 AM

I always wanted to be a cop when I was little. Now that I am 17, it's starting to become a strong desire. To make a long story short, I have been going through some very tough times lately. I am finally starting to be open about my marijuana use. The first thing I want to say is that I am not proud about my drug use and I take full responsibility for it. Yes, I know that it is wrong, but I am only human just like everyone else. I tried it once in 9th grade, 2 or 3 times in 10th grade, regular use at the end of 11th grade, and during the summer after. I have recently attended a citizens police academy, and I made good relationships with some officers. I've also been on two ride alongs. I felt that it was only right to confess to one of the officers I was close with, and I wanted to hear what he had to say about my future. He basically expressed that there is still a chance that I can be a police officer, and he even knew police officers that smoked weed before. He also mentioned that other officers in the department speak very well of me, including a supervisor that he himself looks up to. That made me feel very good, but here's the highlight of the conversation. I told him that I really enjoyed the ride alongs. I liked how the department worked as a whole and that I would definitely apply there. He said, "We wouldn't mind having you here. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." He's a corporal so he'll eventually move up in the department, but I don't know how to take that. I don't want to assume he is just offering me a job for the future, but that could be his way of telling me that I can still do it. I'm not fully convinced that I can still become a cop due to my drug history. Everything is just sketchy nowadays to me. They say that past marijuana use is not a disqualifier, but I don't believe that because most people are so biased nowadays. I have a clean record, never ran into the law in any kind of way except for the academy I attended. You never know what goes on behind closed doors so is it just sweet talk? Or is there really a chance. Need opinions, preferably from an officer

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cops and they're past drug use - September 22nd 2015, 01:44 AM

(Not sure how many police officers you're going to find on TeenHelp.)

Due to the fact that you've never had any run-ins with the law over your marijuana use, I'd say you're pretty safe when it comes to a career in law enforcement.

However, you really don't need to be telling people, particularly police officers, about this. Are you planning on turning up to work stoned? Hopefully not.

What you decide to get up to in your own time is up to you. If I were you, I'd keep quiet about it. Sure, the one officer you spoke to might not have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean that other officers won't.

~ Jasmine

Be kind to yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cops and they're past drug use - September 24th 2015, 02:15 PM

It depends on the police department. I wanted to ne an officer too, and as I'd smoked I had to find out about this. So basically, one thing I found out was that if you did smoke marijuana as a minor then the hiring police department is a lot more likely to over look it because they'll understand that you made an irresponsible choice as a legal child and all that. If you are properly "aw shucks I made a bad choice about it" then they might see you as a more empathetic officer who can not immediately hate all criminals for their choices. Secondly, depending where you live, you might find the police departments having a very liberal attitude, especially in places like Washington, California and Colorado, within reason. Finally, as long as marijuana use is part of your past it is usually ok.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Cops and they're past drug use - September 24th 2015, 03:14 PM

On the application they will ask you to list all of the drugs you have ever tried or sold. If you are open and honest about your drug use as a teenager they are much more likely to hire you than if you try to lie about. Cops are people too, and everyone has done something illegal at some point. People speed, accidently run red lights or stop signs, they experiment with drugs as minors. It happens, no one is perfect and cops understand that.

Just try to stay clean from now on, as you approach 18, they will probably be less forgiving.

(My husband is an officer and I know several others.)

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread