TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LONE Offline
crab paste
Not a n00b

My uni course hitting too close to home - October 13th 2015, 03:02 PM

So I'm studying education at uni and I really really want to become a primary school teacher so there's no way I would drop out but one of the modules we are doing is about risk and it heavily focuses on child abuse (which I had no idea about). Every time I go into a lecture on this module I feel so fucking shitty, everything the lecturer says makes me want to stab her in the face because it's so off the mark and she's just a terrible lecturer anyway (seriously). All the case studies she makes us read are so detailed and I hate it. I just don't know what to do, this lecture always ruins my day and I can't focus on my work but I also want good grades, helppppp?

shake it like a polaroid picture

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: My uni course hitting too close to home - October 13th 2015, 03:39 PM

Hey there,

I've been in exactly the same situation. I had to study child protection before I could do a placement in a primary school (I want to be a primary teacher too) and I just couldn't stand it- I found it triggering. That and the fact I studied English and one of the books we studied was 'Lolita'. It's really hard when you want to do well but can't concentrate.

Obviously, these things are getting to you, so it's really important that you practice self care. After the lecture, try to do something that makes you feel positive, relaxes you and that you enjoy. It sounds like you have some anger too and you might like to take out your anger by punching a pillow or writing down everything that annoyed you.

If it's possible try to schedule your work so that you allow yourself to have that day to relax, instead of trying to make yourself focussed when you can't concentrate. I'm not sure why your lecturer would make you read case studies as generally, you would only need to know the signs and symptoms of abuse, rather than go into too much detail. Perhaps look at the marking criteria she might be using and maybe do some general research on abuse rather than forcing yourself to read the case studies. However, if it is required that you have to read the case studies, it might be a good idea to let your lecturer know that they are affecting you. You could also talk to your university's counsellor about this, if you wanted to.

Try to remember that it's a necessary module, and even though it's not a particularly enjoyable one, the module won't last forever. If you wanted, you could even countdown until you finish the module to give you some motivation! It's also good to remember that the case studies are probably from the past: the children in them are now safe. You are safe too, even if the content of the studies affects you emotionally.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Last edited by Celyn; October 16th 2015 at 05:09 PM.

Closed Thread