TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

working two months straight with no days off? - October 24th 2015, 10:50 PM

I want to know if it's okay for my employer to do this. I am nineteen years old and have one job which I work a full-time schedule at; eight hours a day, five days a week. I don't like the job and would like to do something else like study at a trade school, but I need the money so that I can move out of my parents house. Anyways, my work is going to promote me to a better position... but the training is two months long and they need me at work as much as possible so they've decided for me to do the training with the same company but at another location a few cities down. This way. I can work five days a week, keep my full-time schedule, and have the training on my days off every week. The training is eight hours long as well.
I know that people do this. I know that people work two jobs without any days off and sometimes up to 12 hours a day but I don't know if I can handle this. I want to ask for a day off but my managers have not listened to me in the past. I have had to skip important doctors appointments because they refused to change my schedule; even after I asked several weeks before the schedule was even made. I feel taken advantage of and I don't know if I want to dedicate all my time at this job. I want to do other things, not just educational purposes, but I'd like to be able to go out and spend time with my family/friends every once in a while.
I guess my question is: is it okay for my employers to deny me any days off for two months straight?

Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: working two months straight with no days off? - October 24th 2015, 11:14 PM

It's hard to say if that is "ok" or not. I know there are regulations where I live to protect employees; you can only work 8 hours a day, unless otherwise discussed (piles of people work longer shifts, like doctors, nurses, paramedics, lawyers, etc) and you can't be made to work more 48 hours per week unless you and your employer agree to it in writing (again, not all fields abide by this standard; people who are self-employed, people who are CEO's or doctors or lawyers often bill over 48 hours without any issues because it's just part of the territory). The problem for you (even if you have similar regulations in your province/state/country) is that you are receiving training on your weekends, which might not count as "work", it might count as something else, such as education. You really should look it up.

My question to you is if it is worth it? Will you be getting a higher pay raise, will your hours go back to "normal" after 2 months (or relatively normal? Those sorts of things... Refusing to give up your weekends for 2 months could also compromise your job; your employer might not take it well if they provided you with an advancement opportunity and its benefits (I assume there are some) and you turned it down because you didn't want to give up your weekends for a mere 2 months. It's not that I don't sympathize; I wouldn't be happy with it either, but I'm just trying to explain how they might see it and they might not think that complaining about 2 months of not having much free time is not what they want in an employee at all, much less someone they thought well enough of to promote. You might want to think about getting a whole knew job if you decide not to take the advancement opportunity because the training would interfere with your personal life. That said, if you ultimately decide that the advancement opportunity is not worth giving up your weekends for the next 2 months, you need to have a conversation with your employer to politely decline the advancement opportunity, you can say something along the lines of "thanks so much for the opportunity, I know we originally agreed to [this thing] but I think at this point in time I will have to decline the advancement because of [these life factors]"

So, like I said first, you might want to check into regulations in your province (or other regulating force) and make sure this is legal. If you might want to get everything in writing, then you should. A few things you need to check into is things such as how much they have to pay you, how many hours you can work weekly or biweekly etc. Now, obviously there are piles of people who work like 60+ hour weeks, who work every day (even at one company) and who work 24 hour long shifts (seriously I know people who work for 24 hours at a time and it's sick but they also love what they do and the awful shifts don't really bug them in the greater scheme of things). That said, the labour laws exist for a reason and they exist for people like you who aren't necessarily willing to do what is being forced on them. So, look into it, decide if it is worth it or not, and then either accept it as a temporary (yes, 2 months is temporary) crap in life in which you come out with a better position OR accept that this isn't the time for you to be accepting this position and have the necessary conversation with your boss. What ever you do, you won't be wrong because it is all about you and your life choices.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
remedy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: working two months straight with no days off? - October 30th 2015, 01:18 PM

Always * had a point! If in your region law permits to work more than 8 hours a week, your employer has all legitimate reasons to ask you to work more.

Of course, if it's worth it, and in the near future, you will receive a pay rise or better job - why not? It's only 8 weekends! And training will be over, you'll probably receive some kind of certificate, which you could also use as your advantage searching for another job... or just to upgrade your CV. And your future employers will know that you're highly motivated, could work under pressure and dedicated to that thing, which you're doing....

But, firstly, think thoroughly - if you know that you have some serious health problems, it's better not to do this. Sometimes, visiting your doctor is really an important thing which you couldn't miss

Closed Thread