TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

At a crossroad: Aerospace Engineering vs. Computer Science - November 17th 2015, 02:52 PM

Hey everyone,

For those of you who don't know my educational plans, I was double majoring in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. The plan may seem a tad redundant, but I have an interest in both. However, this semester I've realized I bit off more than I could chew. I understand all the material, but I simply don't have enough time to maintain my homework and I will end up facing burn out. So, this leaves me with choosing which one I want to do more.

Honestly, I cannot determine which I enjoy more. I need help. I want to work in the aerospace field, regardless of what I do. Both options are great to get there. Don't mistake aerospace engineering as being a better option. In fact, the industry typically hires more programmers than anything. But, my primary concern with full blown computer science, and while it is not synonymous with programming, is that while I enjoy it now, I am someone who needs variety. I can only work a particular job for a couple years before getting bored.

Every inclination tells me to pursue computer science. I enjoy it more presently. I prefer the math comparatively (discrete math comes more naturally to me than high level pure & continuous mathematics). I don't tend to enjoy applications (physics), as much as I do logic (computer science). However, I've thought about being in the industry, and engineering provides variety. You aren't just working on one thing. You aren't just designing. You aren't solely doing applications, etc. So while I may not enjoy my schooling as much, in the real world it may be different. To be honest, it's not really that I don't enjoy physics as much, it just doesn't come as natural to me as the logic in CS. A lot of the concepts are counter-intuitive, and being someone who relies heavily on intuition, it provides trouble.

Computer Science I face the issue of repetition. If I become a programmer, software developer, etc. the field is simply routine. Whether I'm developing avionics, software, or AI, the concept remains the same. Reading and writing code 8-12 hours a day.

So, it narrows down to this: What is the better option for employment? And this is where I'm lost. My counselor at Uni says that CS is volatile and facing over saturation. But this doesn't seem to really be true at all. He thinks engineering is a better field. I'm just sure which will give me lasting happiness as a career, and so I need to look at what will give me stability.

Annnnd the least helpful thing to me have been career tests. They unanimously place me into CS, Engineering, and investigative fields.

Any suggestions?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: At a crossroad: Aerospace Engineering vs. Computer Science - November 19th 2015, 07:25 PM

Have you thought about majoring in one subject and minoring in the other subject?

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: At a crossroad: Aerospace Engineering vs. Computer Science - November 20th 2015, 03:51 AM

I have, but the amount stress with respect to the level of job opportunities a minor will give me is not worth the effort/time. I do enjoy the subjects, but the projects and grades stress me out. I've gotten sick several times this semester from lack of sleep and stress, hence why I've decided to only stick with one or the other.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: At a crossroad: Aerospace Engineering vs. Computer Science - November 20th 2015, 04:38 AM

If you know the type of field(s) you want to work in, consider contacting people who work in them. Most people enjoy talking about what they do and it will probably give you a more balanced perspective than an adviser would and can tell you what the job is like in the real world.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: At a crossroad: Aerospace Engineering vs. Computer Science - November 21st 2015, 02:31 PM

I don't think CS is over saturated. I also have that fear come up every so often, since I work in software and am not really interested and clearly suck as it, but I've still had random companies headhunt me and gotten job offers I wasn't able to take so.... yeah.

There are a LOT of different software companies and companies that need software to be made for them in some way, although if you're looking for a specific niche (type of product/technologies used/company culture etc) it might still be as specific and narrow as it ever was before all these annoying people like me started majoring in it and crowding the resource supply. That depends I guess.

A decent portion of the development process isn't actually writing code though, as much as we all like to think and delude ourselves into believing (even on the job) that it does, and definitely should if it doesn't (nah). :P Reading other people's work, drafting technical designs and presenting them, researching and evaluating the benefit of adopting X new technology or pattern, etc.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: At a crossroad: Aerospace Engineering vs. Computer Science - November 21st 2015, 08:18 PM

My Dad, who retired recently, had a successful and fruitful career as an Aerospace Engineer for over 40 years. If you have any specific questions, I can ask him for you.

If you prefer variety to repetition, AE seems like a better option for you. However, there is an element of repetition in any job. I know that my Dad's work always involved engine runs and testing of both hardware and software which can be repetitive. I guess it was the fixing side which provided more variety.

If I were you, I would also think about whether you prefer a desk job or a more physical one.

As you probably know, the future of air travel is computers, with less and less input from the pilots in the cockpit. But then they will always need people down on the ground to keep the aircraft in good working order. So I guess either avenue has good job prospects. It really does come down to what you would prefer to spend your time doing.

Be kind to yourself.

Closed Thread