TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Anyone here ever read "Julie of the Wolves" or "A Light in the Attic"? - May 14th 2009, 06:05 AM

For my English project, we have to argue whether or not to ban certain books. The catch is, Part 2 (what I am doing now) requires you to argue the opposite position you supported in Part 1 (an essay I already finished). In Part 1 I was in favor of banning the books, which means now I have to save the books from being banned.

We have to show this argument using 3 components:
a) 30-second radio announcement (audio only)
b) 30-45 second TV commercial (audio and visual only)
c) Roadside billboard with a maximum of 15 words

^ And that seems kind of impossible. I feel there are too many restrictions to send an effective message to the viewer, but that is part of the challenge. In reality I don't want the books to be banned, only because it is my opinion. I had an idea to not ban the books since banning them would only arouse curiosity in children and incite them to read the books. Seems kind of simple, but how would I portray that in the media listed above? If that idea doesn't work, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
purplemask Offline
Average Joe

Name: Regina

Re: Anyone here ever read "Julie of the Wolves" or "A Light in the Attic"? - May 14th 2009, 07:52 AM

You could do something like a child reading and then parents taking away the book and forcing them NOT to read, and you could then put them in front of a tv or something. basically saying that its ridiculous to keep kids from reading books when we're letting them watch television which is terribly unproductive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Anyone here ever read "Julie of the Wolves" or "A Light in the Attic"? - May 14th 2009, 08:37 AM

I'm pretty sure I've read Julie of the Wolves, like ages ago. :P

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Anyone here ever read "Julie of the Wolves" or "A Light in the Attic"? - May 15th 2009, 07:56 PM

Oh yeah I see where you're going with that book/tv idea. I was going to say the ideas had to be from the books themselves, but today my teacher mentioned as long as you use the book's theme to show your support, it is fine.

Hey Sylvie, do you have any ideas on how to show support for JotW? Now the question is finding a way to utilize the book's theme to prevent it from being banned.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anyone here ever read "Julie of the Wolves" or "A Light in the Attic"? - May 15th 2009, 09:36 PM

Hmm...for the third component, the roadside billboard, keep in mind that images can be more powerful than words. Think about using a graphic imaging program [Photoshop, Gimp, etc] to combine images, to effectively get your message across. If you do it this way, the word limit won't matter as much because you won't have to rely as much on the words.

For the TV commercial, try thinking of it as a campaign commercial - for a political office or something. You're campaigning, in a way, to show you're opinion.

I've never read Julie of the Wolves but with Light in the Attic, since it's a collection of poetry, try bringing out some of the more powerful or possibly controversial poems from the book to use for your theme?

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Anyone here ever read "Julie of the Wolves" or "A Light in the Attic"? - May 19th 2009, 06:58 PM

Mhm the controversial poems have more attention grabbing power in them.

I can recall some really effective commercials from memory. Do you think my commercial will not stand out as much because the idea has been used before, or is the idea just a really good generic format to use?

Closed Thread