TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Crossroads in life. - November 20th 2015, 12:16 AM

I don't really know what I want to do in terms of my ideal job to work towards.
Note: I do not have access to a career adviser.

My dream has always been to work for Apple but in all honestly that wont happen I need to start looking at the realistic side of life I do not have the brains to get in to Apple. I'm currently working at some shop doing a part time job i'm looking for a full time job probably in retail and thinking perhaps I could work my way up the ranks and become an area manager or something like one of my family members has but I might not have the skills in retail like them so I don't want to start going for that and not achieve it. I'm considering going to uni next year to study computer science and see if an electric company like Samsung, Apple, Google would employ me but considering I got kicked off my computing course at college doesn't give me much hope with all my learning disabilities. I could try taking ADHD medication to help me focus a little bit more I'm not all that sure. All my friends are 18/19 I'm 19 and they all know what they want to do and then theres me sitting here think what can I do? The only think I know I'm good at is computers and phones and Im not even that good compared to some people.

How do I go about this because I'm not very good at retail the managers are always moaning at me because I'm a little slow and they say common Justin sort yourself etc. It's not my fault I have these problems I'm trying my best but surely everyone has to start off rubbish and get better over time?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Crossroads in life. - November 20th 2015, 03:12 AM

I'm 21, a senior in college, and I still have no idea what to do. I do know that I plan on going to graduate school. After that, I have no clue what I want to do I have ADHD and take medication for that and it has helped tremendously. I get extra time to take exams and stuff like that because of me having ADHD. I think seeing a doctor would be really helpful and it would put you on the right track on possibly getting put on medication. Does your school have an office for disability services for people with disabilities?

It's alright to not to know what you want to do right now. You're only 19; you're still so young.

Don't stop chasing your dreams. If it is something you are really passionate about, then you will achieve it.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Crossroads in life. - November 21st 2015, 08:34 PM

I agree with Cathy that you should seek out help for your ADHD if you feel like it is holding you back.

I think it's unfair that your managers at work say things like "Sort yourself out" because not only is it going to damage your confidence but it is actually very unspecific and therefore unhelpful! As managers they should know better than to give such comments.

So retail might not be for you. It's not for me either. But if you have a natural interest in and talent for computer science, and it's your dream job, I would suggest pursuing that. You can't say that you're not intelligent enough to work for Apple because you don't know the IQ levels of everyone else working there. Ultimately, it will come down to the grades you achieve and, if you are prepared to work hard, you will get there eventually.

Are you able to study computer science at university without college qualifications? Or would you be looking to either return to college or complete a foundation year at uni?

Be kind to yourself.

Closed Thread