TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gerardway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kinsey

Need Music Career Advice - January 2nd 2016, 06:02 AM

Hi, I need some advice on my career, because it has been making me stressed lately.

I am 13 years old, but I know what I want to do with my life. I am very skilled in guitar, and my friends and I are in a band. I take this band extremely seriously, and I want to do music my whole life. I have written songs, and we are working on the ins and outs of recording our EP.

The deal is, we obviously want to get signed to a record label. Our only concern is that we are too young. We are worried that we will not be taken seriously in the music industry, especially this genre of music. We are extremely dedicated and serious about music and this band, and are not planning on stopping making music at any time. It's our worst fear as a band that we will be rejected and thought of as a joke because of our age.

I hope you can give me some advice on this. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Need Music Career Advice - January 2nd 2016, 08:14 AM

Hey there! Unfortunately, I have no advice to give you on this, since I just don't have the experience or knowledge... But I think it's amazing that you are in a band and that you're so dedicated to your music playing, especially at that age. I started playing guitar a year ago, and I sort of wish I had started earlier in life.

So yeah, good luck!!

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Need Music Career Advice - January 2nd 2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardway View Post
Hi, I need some advice on my career, because it has been making me stressed lately.

I am 13 years old, but I know what I want to do with my life. I am very skilled in guitar, and my friends and I are in a band. I take this band extremely seriously, and I want to do music my whole life. I have written songs, and we are working on the ins and outs of recording our EP.

The deal is, we obviously want to get signed to a record label. Our only concern is that we are too young. We are worried that we will not be taken seriously in the music industry, especially this genre of music. We are extremely dedicated and serious about music and this band, and are not planning on stopping making music at any time. It's our worst fear as a band that we will be rejected and thought of as a joke because of our age.

I hope you can give me some advice on this. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
It's a long post... but only because you sound serious. I know plenty of people older than myself who are less decisive than you are and have no idea what they want to do.

Your problem isn't specific to just music. Getting "respected" can be a thick wall to break at a younger age. Some people, communities & cultures are more open and progressive, and more friendly towards people like you.... and others will just ignore you at best, or even turn hostile in extreme cases (this isn't something you probably need to worry about).

I don't really have much advice here on how to overcome that. You can't do anything about those people. What you're doing is not easy, and you and the rest of your band need to fully acknowledge that right now, and be prepared for an occasionally rough time.

I say that, because (not just in music), I've known people who do these kinds of things thinking that it will all be glitzy/glamorous and fun. Optimism is good, but you need to aknowledge reality, otherwise the first time you encounter serious difficulties, you will most likely crash and burn, and many people even quit because of it. If you do a gig and sell only 5 tickets... don't quit. Even with just an audience of 5, give it your best.

Do your thing. Be stubborn about it, but open to other people's suggestions at the same time. Be structured, with practice regularly, etc... and all the rest you probably know about.

If you get good enough, and figure out a good way to show it off (performances, or free CDs even), then there is no reason why the music industry shouldn't take you seriously, and why you wouldn't get signed eventually. But I don't know what it is that labels look for/want when they sign artists. I imagine they want money. They want proof that you can sell tickets and CDs and create money for them. They are businesses after all, although I'm sure different labels will have different attitudes depending on their directors, and will look for different things in the artists and bands they sign.

A big thing though... is you need to create your own sound. If you look at all the mainstream artists, no matter how good or f***ing awful they are, they are all successful, because pretty much almost all of them sound original and different compared to what most people have heard before. It's how even established artists stay in business, by changing their sound over decades instead of creating the same thing over and over which can get boring. This is just something for you to think about. There is a balance you need to figure out, between sounding too "new" (which is also risky), and sounding too "old", which is less risky and also less likely to get you noticed.

One, last thing: you are 13 years old. I assume the rest of your band is similar. All of you might have very strong ideas about wanting to do music... but things change a lot for people between ages of 12/13 to 20, or even 25. Someone might change their mind about music, find something else that interests them. Someone else's parents might move to another country. And as people get older, many people get scared of not being able to reliably earn money with music or arts careers, so focus on other careers when they go to college/university. Your advantage is you're doing this at the best age you can, while you have time before you need to start thinking about any kinds of serious jobs/rent/bills/crap. But still, be prepared that some people, or even just one person, in your band, will have different ideas eventually... and don't let it become something that will kill your band. Like I said earlier,
don't quit.

Let me know if there's anything else.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; January 3rd 2016 at 01:41 AM.

Closed Thread