TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Question Job interview today! - January 12th 2016, 01:37 PM

I have a job interview today, and I'm very nervous. I've had plenty of other job interviews before, and I've never been nervous. I'm always really calm, and never really worry about too much. (The worrying comes later when I'm training for said job.) Today is different. Not only is my potential employer traveling an hour an a half away from the office to meet me here at my choice of venue, but he said he things are going to be very informal.

He said there is no need to try and dress up, but that he wants to see how I am in a setting where I feel comfortable and in clothes I would wear every day. My mother says he just wants to 'get a feel' for who I really am, where as most people will dress themselves up and pretend to be someone their not during an interview at an office. She also said he may just want me to feel more comfortable in order to get me to open up.

I'm not sure what I should expect at this point. I've been pretty anxious about it since I found all of this out. If I get the job, I'll be traveling an hour and a half away from home everyday for the better part of a week to train, and then I will be working from home after that. (Which you can't really beat.) I'll be making more in a week than Jordan does at both of his jobs. (Which I find kindly funny.) I mean, this is a great opportunity and I truly hope that I'm able to 'land' this job, I've just never had anything like this happen.

I mean I feel as though I should be grateful I don't have to find someone to watch Ava all day for the travel to his office and such, and the fact that I'll be close to home, and I choose my favorite coffee shop. I love it there. It totally calms me down, and I'll be able to enjoy some tea while I wait. Which will really help calm my nerves. (I plan on showing up two hours early so I can have some tea, listen to some music, and prepare.)

I just wanna know if anyone else has had something like this happen, and if so, how did it go for you? Was it easier than being in an office setting? I'm just nervous about this because it isn't what I'm used to. Anyway, sorry for the babble. Thanks.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Job interview today! - January 12th 2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelVeta View Post
I have a job interview today, and I'm very nervous. I've had plenty of other job interviews before, and I've never been nervous. I'm always really calm, and never really worry about too much. (The worrying comes later when I'm training for said job.) Today is different. Not only is my potential employer traveling an hour an a half away from the office to meet me here at my choice of venue, but he said he things are going to be very informal.

He said there is no need to try and dress up, but that he wants to see how I am in a setting where I feel comfortable and in clothes I would wear every day. My mother says he just wants to 'get a feel' for who I really am, where as most people will dress themselves up and pretend to be someone their not during an interview at an office. She also said he may just want me to feel more comfortable in order to get me to open up.

I'm not sure what I should expect at this point. I've been pretty anxious about it since I found all of this out. If I get the job, I'll be traveling an hour and a half away from home everyday for the better part of a week to train, and then I will be working from home after that. (Which you can't really beat.) I'll be making more in a week than Jordan does at both of his jobs. (Which I find kindly funny.) I mean, this is a great opportunity and I truly hope that I'm able to 'land' this job, I've just never had anything like this happen.

I mean I feel as though I should be grateful I don't have to find someone to watch Ava all day for the travel to his office and such, and the fact that I'll be close to home, and I choose my favorite coffee shop. I love it there. It totally calms me down, and I'll be able to enjoy some tea while I wait. Which will really help calm my nerves. (I plan on showing up two hours early so I can have some tea, listen to some music, and prepare.)

I just wanna know if anyone else has had something like this happen, and if so, how did it go for you? Was it easier than being in an office setting? I'm just nervous about this because it isn't what I'm used to. Anyway, sorry for the babble. Thanks.
Hey,

I've not had this experience before, but I have a couple of suggestions based on what I could see as potential issues (and how to resolve some stress). First, avoid caffeine. Caffeine can actually increase anxiety. So, if you get tea, get a green tea or white tea, something with low caffeine content.

Second, before showing up, do a quick 10 minute meditation. You can look them up on YouTube. It will clear you head and make you feel more relaxed. I do this before tests.

Third, watch what you say -- that is, remember it is still a job interview. I feel like because it's in an informal setting that you may risk speaking too freely. At least, I might. Just be sure to be careful what you say.

Lastly, bring a copy of your resume to hand to him, if you don't have one, draft up a 1-page copy. Even if it's just of random achievements. There are plenty of guides online.

Good luck.

[edit]

Also, make sure that just because it is casual that you're not under-dressed. It's always better to be over-dressed than under. e.g. A dress and cardigan works better than workout clothes

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Job interview today! - January 12th 2016, 06:04 PM

I don't have much to add other than good luck and I really hope it goes well! It sounds like an amazing opportunity. Also, this is something I am just passing along as someone who had interview at a coffee shop before but normally would avoid eating/drinking in front of others...I am told that if the interviewer offers to get you something to accept. I don't know if the interviewers in the past offered to get me something because I was under 18 at the time or if it is something interviewers commonly do. But just keep the option opened if the guy offers, or in case you want to get something for yourself at the same time as him, to not have drank too much tea

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Re: Job interview today! - January 13th 2016, 08:55 PM

I actually only drink herbal tea, which has no added caffeine. Just tea leafs. So that makes things a bit easier when trying to avoid caffeine (which I don't drink anyway. ) Thank you guys for the advice, and I actually have some great news. I got the job!\

I start first thing Monday morning. I'm super excited.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
l3hub Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Job interview today! - January 14th 2016, 02:30 AM

Could it be the expectations that you have set for yourself? Or the pressure you are facing when you are diverting from the 'norm'? As in the past, you have gotten used to the way you handle formal interviews and this change is uncomfortable to you because there was not much expectations set and you don't know where to start?

Since this is an interview, I would still dress for the interview but probably smart casual or formal. From what you mentioned, you will be working from home after that, so perhaps this is how he wants to see you in your job when you're working from home?

I'm also wondering if you are feeling nervous because the anticipation that you are feeling with the possibilities that things might change around the house. You'll be getting more money, and working from home, so the anticipation kind of build up the stress level abit.

Just relax and be prepared for the questions. More importantly, go with your heart and be who you are. Attitude is always a plus when compared with expertise. Good luck.

L≥ Hub - Live. Learn. Laugh
l3hub.org
  Send a message via Skype™ to l3hub 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Job interview today! - January 14th 2016, 09:20 AM

It's so glad to hear that you got the job- that's great news! I'll go ahead and close this thread now, but if you ever want to re-open it, simply PM me

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread