TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: Should I withdraw form my course this semester?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Withdrawal - January 14th 2016, 03:30 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hello all.

For the past couple of months I have been dealing with some mental health issues. I barely made it through last semester and the issues grew increasingly worse over the holiday break. I went into a treatment program and was released earlier this week. However, many of the issues that sent me into the program are still present. I am still struggling a great deal with my mental health. The new semester started this week and I am having trouble deciding whether or not to drop the class.

The class is a distance learning course on the legal and ethical aspects of healthcare information systems. There are two exams, no quizzes, and I can receive extra credit by completing the written questions at the end of each chapter in the textbook.

I am torn as to what to do. On the one hand, having schoolwork would give me a sense of focus. I am unable to work right now due to my mental health issues and this means I have very little structure during the day. On the other hand, taking on a class like this could stress me out more than I already am. I could just start the class and see if I need to withdraw later, but with the severity of my current condition I suspect I may need to go into treatment again soon and I almost don't want to start all that hard work if I'm only going to have to withdraw. If I did withdraw it would be too late to sign up for another course, even an elective, so I would be out for the semester.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? I am going to talk this over with my therapist in a couple of days. This is a time sensitive matter so unfortunately I have that as added pressure in making my decision. All opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Note: Please excuse the typo on my poll. I can't figure out a way to change it.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Withdrawal - January 14th 2016, 03:44 AM

Been there, done that. Only you can make this decision, but if you already suspect it's going to be too much, getting out might be the better option. If things are intensifying and hard for you right now, taking a semester off would give you a chance to really get yourself stabilized, seek more treatment if necessary, and focus on self-care without having to worry about anything else. Then, when you're feeling better you can start back at school from a better place.

I always found that I knew deep down what the better decision was, and the more I thought about it, the more one or the other would feel right. With time constraints, it's tough. I used to pull up a game of solitaire (somewhat mindless activity) and focus on how I felt when I thought about making one decision and then do the same with the other. and one would start to feel like the better option. You can get a lot of thinking done in a short amount of time that way.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Withdrawal - January 14th 2016, 03:50 AM

When I started a big university, I had to withdraw from the classes of two separate semesters. I was hospitalized within the first week of each semester, so I withdrew because I knew I wouldn't be able to focus and recover. If you're still having problems and you think that you'll be readmitted, I'd consider withdrawing or taking a medical leave of absence. They won't judge you for doing that, and they'd rather you do that then register, drop or withdraw, and start all over again. You need to put yourself first, and that's okay. If you can handle the class, then go for it. But it sounds like you're really struggling to get through the days, and you could use to find something less stressful to fill your days with.

I hope this helped a bit. Talk it over with some other people and see what you think is best. Ultimately, it's your decision.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Withdrawal - January 15th 2016, 11:46 PM

I'm going to go against the majority (thus far) and say that you should remain in school. Personally, I had/have depression. I know that too much time I tend to become too introspective which typically will make my depression worse. The class itself doesn't sound too demanding, and it's a distant learning course. It will give you time to do something else that doesn't revolve around focusing on your mental health, that is, it will focus on distracting you.

The other thing I'd take into consideration is the stress. You said it'll stress you. Stress is actually a powerful motivator. It can cripple, yes, but it can also motivate. Not only this, but the stress will be put on something else. You are already stressed. However, stressing over school, again, will distract your mind. You need to realize that becoming "stress free" is really impossible. We all have stress. We all deal with it. But you need to use it.

Withdrawing from a semester may also affect your financial aid. If you do not complete a certain amount of courses, whether they are 'W's or not, can lower your grant and loan money provided by the federal government. Depending on the school it could also lead to a suspension. So you need to treat your W's with strategy.

If it is something medical, you may meet with a school counselor or adviser and see if your withdraws will count against you.

Lastly, putting school off another semester won't really benefit anything beyond pushing you back another semester. You want to make sure you don't just WANT to withdraw solely because you don't want to take the course. I'm not accusing you of anything, but I know my own habits and tendencies and questioning these types of thing require some soul searching. I found that sometimes I liked being depressed, and stressed solely that I could AVOID something. Again, this might not be you, but sometimes our motives are hidden.

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I just really can't recommend withdrawing because of my own experiences. Maybe with more information I could be of assistance, but from what you've provided I don't think you should withdraw. I think it could be a good distraction for you, the class doesn't sound demanding, and if you're going to inevitably withdraw anyways, you mind as well try until you reach that point. I don't see the class as adding too much. But again, that's relative.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Withdrawal - January 16th 2016, 12:23 PM

I know we've talked about this but I think what you have to do is figure out if you see yourself needing to go back to the hospital or IOP. If you answer yes, I'll probably need to go then you should withdraw. I think you said that you've only started this week so if that's the case you should be able to drop without a W. Talk to your therapist and see what she says and go from there but be completely honest about how much you are struggling.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Withdrawal - January 19th 2016, 05:27 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I decided to try and start the semester. In the event I need to go back into treatment I will consider withdrawing at that time, depending on the type of treatment I require. If I do need to withdraw it would be considered a medical withdrawal and wouldn't count against me. I don't have financial aid so that would not be impacted. If I do have to withdraw I will simply take the class again next semester when I am feeling better.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
Closed Thread