TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

DBT Requirement: Volunteering - January 15th 2016, 03:53 PM

So part of my DBT-Lite Group I need to volunteer, this is because I would be able to work through some of my skills and feelings, as well talk about something in the group. I applied to a seniors home to help out. This morning I had an interview and all I need to do is go to the police station and get the required information.

This is up my ally in terms of career/interests. I'm interested in Non-Profit Management and planning events. I know this isn't for a particular age range and I would be more interested in planning, setting up, managing events more than anything. Being organized is something I enjoy the most.

The Social Worker of the seniors home mentioned that the College has this program for recreational assistant, helping seniors with activities and such. I told her I will take a look at it. I don't have a interest in any age group but I'd like to plan things and be involved, work behind the scenes but also work in it.

So this volunteer position is to help seniors with bingo but there's other things that I can do but she will talk to me about it more once I get the police check. At most I would dedicate twice a week but once a week I will dedicate myself.

It's a great opportunity just I am not sure if I want to work with seniors but I've never worked with seniors. When I think about seniors all I think about is PSW and nurses and ive tried that and it didn't sit well with me.

I guess I am still trying to figure it out but really I am doing this because my DBT-Lite doctor recommends everyone volunteer while in the group. That's really the only reason why and I choose something that is interesting to me and has nothing to do with seniors.

Is that terrible? That im volunteering because it's required for my DBT-Lite and that I lied to her about it, just to get in?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: DBT Requirement: Volunteering - January 15th 2016, 05:11 PM

I mean, I don't think you really lied to her. You said that it is up your ally in regards to your career goals, since you do want to do event planning. If you're not completely sure that you want to work with seniors in your career, that's fine, but you are gaining valuable experience here by doing this. You would figure out whether or not you actually wanted to continue working with seniors or if you wanted to work with another age group.

I am constantly changing what age group I want to work with. I went from seniors, to infants, to preschoolers, to school age, to high school, and now I'm at middle-aged adults. I eventually want to try out working with college students. It's okay to try things out and decide later. You don't have to know upfront.

People volunteer for all sorts of reasons. I think that your reasons will change once you start and get the hang of things. It won't be just a requirement anymore, it will be that you truly enjoy it.

I was a recreational assistant at a nursing home. It was my first and second jobs. If you have any questions about that, you can ask me. Honestly, it's a great thing to do because you are helping a senior get a little light in their life and it's enjoyable for the worker at the same time.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

Closed Thread