TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Ruined my chances for a fraternity? - January 23rd 2016, 10:47 PM

Yesterday I finally found a fraternity I really liked. They invited me back later. I pregamed in my dorm, found out I have a pathetic alcohol tolerance (somewhat drunk at two beers, but I've done better) then went, played a drinking game, had some fun. Then I went with some guys to a room to smoke some weed. I've smoked my fair share and even dabbed, but I just got super fucked up. As in... I had to sit down for the rest of the time. I was so high that I wouldn't have found my way home, but some guy drove me. Hell, I'm still feeling it at 6 PM the next day.
Anyway, I know its a common theme that frats will usually cut the people who can't hold their own for alcohol, but this frat seems pretty relaxed, and all the guys liked me. Will this cut me? I didn't cause any huge problems, I just sat down for a while, then they drove me home.
Note: There's another open house on Monday, if I need to apologize or anything.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: Ruined my chances for a fraternity? - January 25th 2016, 12:37 AM

Ask them. Just be straight forward. People appreciate honesty and it'll go a long way. If you're upfront with them about your concerns and how much you want to be a part of their frat, they'll respect your altruism.
And remember that a person's alcohol tolerance can always increase. The more often you drink, the higher your tolerance becomes. So your low tolerance is NOT going to stay how it currently is. That's probably really bad advice, because I'm "supposed" to say things like just be yourself, don't drink, forget them, yada yada yada.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Ruined my chances for a fraternity? - January 25th 2016, 02:30 AM

The alcohol wasn't the problem, it was the weed. That's why I'm somewhat reassured, because getting fucked up by weed is probably considered less shameful.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: Ruined my chances for a fraternity? - January 26th 2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
The alcohol wasn't the problem, it was the weed. That's why I'm somewhat reassured, because getting fucked up by weed is probably considered less shameful.
Possibly. There are different strains and strengths of weed. You probably smoked heads. Those are pretty strong. Mids wouldn't fuck you up nearly as much. Just tell them that you don't have a tolerance built up yet. Simple. No one can argue that

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Ruined my chances for a fraternity? - January 27th 2016, 04:11 PM

Why would you want to hang out with people who cut you because you have a liver and a fairly typical alcohol tolerance of any normal functioning human? Granted, I don't understand the Greek life complex at all, the whole paying for friends thing. But if you really like this organization and they like you, it shouldn't matter that your night of shenanigans ended early as long as you're a good addition to their organization. If not, I'm sorry, but they're really not worth your time. The cool members would hang out with you regardless.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Ruined my chances for a fraternity? - January 28th 2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why would you want to hang out with people who cut you because you have a liver and a fairly typical alcohol tolerance of any normal functioning human?
^^ This haha... If they cut you for it, then it's probably not the environment you want to be in. Plus, I think frats and sororities are improving in their all-party and never taking anything serious mentality. I know a few people who were in frats and sororities and the ability to be a heavy drinker definitely didn't make a big difference because they've learned to respect that you can't party for 4 years straight.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread