TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Resident Assistant Position - January 24th 2016, 08:21 PM

I'm pretty interested in being an RA next year at college, and it's time for applications and interviews and all of that kind of stuff. The only thing is I'm worried I won't even be considered due to my history with depression, suicidal idealization, and my self harm. I know the director of residential life knows some of what happened last semester, I'm just not sure how much he knows. Despite my struggles first semester I've made a lot of progress and I've kind of went through why I want to be an RA and why it's a good idea, or why it might not be a good idea.

I want to be an RA because reslife helped me so much last semester and I most likely wouldn't have made it through my first semester without the help of my RA's and my RD. I want to be able to help others like they've helped me. Also I believe it would help me develop important and helpful skills for the rest of my life, I'd get to know a community of girls, I think it'd be fun, and it would keep me busy.

Reasons why I'm hesitant being it will be stressful. The fact that they know my history of depression and that might not make me a good candidate, and the idea of living alone doesn't sound so fun.

I think the good out weighs the bad, and there are things I can do to relieve stress and I'll be trained well I'm sure to handle everything that goes on. I feel like I should go ahead and try because even if I don't get it this year, I'll know how to prepare for next year and I'll know what to expect. Plus I know I want to be one, at least for one year. Plus it will be good to develop a resume, learn some interview tips, see what works what goes well, for in the future with other jobs. I believe I'll benefit even if I don't get the job.

I guess I'm just a little unsure and I'm not sure if I should? Is it a good idea to go ahead and try? I feel like I should bring up to one of my RAs and see what they think and ask them a bit about it, but I don't want the fact that I'm hesitant be a reason for them to not accept me, you know?

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Resident Assistant Position - January 26th 2016, 01:26 PM

I think you should definitely try! It sounds like it would be a great experience, and like you say, even if you don't get the job you'll still get some experience with interviews etc. It's win - win.

I don't know whether your history with depression would lead to your application being rejected. However, it could also make you a good candidate. Like you've said, you benefited from the system yourself, and want to use your experience to help more people. In my opinion that would actually make you a good candidate.

In the end, I don't think you have much to lose by applying anyway. Good luck!

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: Resident Assistant Position - January 26th 2016, 05:35 PM

Don't bring up to them your past issues. If they don't mention it, then neither should you. Talk about why you think you would be a successful RA. The worst that they can tell you is "no" and give the position to someone else. If that happens, then you can always re-apply for the next semester or year.

But I will say this... I've lived in college dorms before. Being an RA is a royal pain in the ass. If can handle the stress and being woken up at 2am because some drunk person lost their room key (trust me, it happens A LOT) then go for it. It'll be like babysitting 20-something freshmen. I don't say that to be discouraging. Just know what you're getting into before you sign up for it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Resident Assistant Position - January 27th 2016, 01:04 AM

Your history shouldn't automatically disqualify you, I wouldn't mention it, but, have a ready answer of how you'll manage your own issues and the stress of the job in case they bring it up. I would ask your current RA about what it's like so you have an idea, but you should definitely try for it if you want to.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Resident Assistant Position - January 27th 2016, 09:53 PM

Technically, they cannot discriminate based on your struggles, but unfortunately, they might. I would definitely not mention it; if it comes up lateron, it does. And if you have questions about being an RA, let me know! I was in Res Life for three years.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread