TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Dropping out. - January 27th 2016, 05:53 PM

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about dropping out of university to go to college in September instead to study counselling for four years. I decided I want to be a school counsellor and maybe do some bereavement counselling or family counselling.

I'm just torn on what to do, I don't enjoy uni and it's having a negative affect on my mental health. I don't know what I'd even do with my degree. I just seem to be doing it because I'm interested in it but not actually enjoying all the work and so I have something to do with my life right now.

Also if anyone in the uk has dropped out of university then do you know what I have to pay back to student finance?

Thanks
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Dropping out. - January 28th 2016, 05:43 PM

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you feel that way about your current university course. Have you talked to anyone about dropping out? I know you've been going through a tough time at the moment, so it might be a good idea to make sure you've taken your time before making a final decision. I'm glad that you want to go to college in September to study counselling. Have you thought about things you could do until then, if you did drop out? For example, dropping out can be helpful for mental health, but equally having too much time on your hands and not much of a routine may make things worse.

I haven't dropped out of university, but I would imagine that you would only pay back any loans you have had (not grants). Usually, you only start paying back student finance when you've started earning over a certain amount- usually something like £20,000 per year.

Hope this helped a bit.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Dropping out. - January 28th 2016, 07:45 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to my care coordinator today and she thinks I'll be doing the right thing since I'm not enjoying my course and because it's something I really want to do. We've decided to contact the college to find out more before I drop out of uni, and that if it were to happen that I would focus on the recovery college two or three days a week and also try and get a part time job or do some volunteer work in a charity shop to keep me busy and to help me focus on recovery since it's going to be tough going into counselling with having mental health problems.

Thank you again,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Dropping out. - January 28th 2016, 09:00 PM

Hey there,

When I first went to uni, I hated it so much. I was so unhappy there and I think leaving to do other things was the smartest decision I could make. University really isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it's the course, the place itself, or just the experience. When I left, I had so many people who I had expected not to care telling me how proud they were of me for doing what made me happy. Coming home made me re-evaluate what I wanted to do and it forced me to plan some time out and set some goals which were more realistic based on the fact I really hated the thing I had been so excited to do.

I'd say, from personal experience, if you're unhappy, then don't force yourself to be there. It's your life and a lot of people might disagree, but only you know what's best for you.

As for finance, when I contacted them I was told a lot of different things. If you're lucky, you won't have those problems, but definitely try and give them a call to find out exactly what they want from you. A friend of mine was told initially he'd have to pay everything back - which he was able to do in instalments of his own choice - however, when he called later to change his instalment date, they told him he didn't have to pay any back. I paid mine back ot get it out of the way, but I'd call and see if you can talk to a few people at finance to get a general consensus if you can.

If you need any advice on anything at all, feel free to send me a message. I've been there and done that, so I'm happy to help you through it if there's anything you're a bit anxious about. Good luck with everything though. There's no shame in leaving if you're unhappy there. Don't feel bad about it - it might be the best thing. Plan ahead, try and keep yourself busy anyway and fill the free time with plenty of experience. It's just as valuable!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread