TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

B.Sc to PhD - January 29th 2016, 04:53 AM

I'm currently working on my B.Sc. in Wildlife Science, I am planning on perusing graduate school for my PhD. I was considering applying for some PhD programs as well as masters in an attempt to skip the masters and go straight to the PhD, do any of you know anyone who has done this or has any experience or recommendation?

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: B.Sc to PhD - January 29th 2016, 07:26 PM

I know people who've done both pathways. Personally, I recommend doing a masters - I don't think the BSc to PhD will save any time from what I know. In addition, it will give you the time to write 2 thesis's and that, personally, I think that will look really good down the road if you want to end up somewhere that you need a PhD.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Everly

Re: B.Sc to PhD - January 30th 2016, 12:32 AM

A person doesn't earn a PhD in graduate school. A PhD is earned after having completed your Masters degree and then after completing doctoral school. There's undergraduate, then graduate, then doctoral. A person cannot skip graduate school and go right from Undergraduate to Doctoral. Though if it's what you want to do and you're really motivated to do it, then by all means, go for it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: B.Sc to PhD - January 30th 2016, 01:02 AM

the time part is something that I have looked into, and it seems to depend on the program itself, some PhD programs lead you through the masters process as well, while others will completely allow you to skip it. Everly why do you say that it can't be done, as from my research i've found people that have done it, and say it is possible. I have a few professors who do not have masters degrees, just B.Sc and PhDs.

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: B.Sc to PhD - February 1st 2016, 10:30 PM

I also think the a graduate degree (masters) is more valuable. It obvious depends on the major, and yours is probably an exception, but typically people who earn masters make only a little bit less than those with PhDs. The debt you take in a doctorate program will negate any benefit of the PhD over the masters. Regardless, how are you internships looking? Experience, interns, research in the field, etc. matter first and foremost with science degrees. If you haven't had any, then its pointless to think about a PhD at this point in your educational career. You'll need to go the masters route.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: B.Sc to PhD - February 2nd 2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygodoftitsandwine View Post
A person doesn't earn a PhD in graduate school. A PhD is earned after having completed your Masters degree and then after completing doctoral school. There's undergraduate, then graduate, then doctoral. A person cannot skip graduate school and go right from Undergraduate to Doctoral. Though if it's what you want to do and you're really motivated to do it, then by all means, go for it!
That's not true. In many cases a Masters is required for entry into a doctoral program, but not always. In sciences especially people can skip straight to earning their PHD. As far as I know doctoral programs are also a part of graduate school, it's distinct but not separate.
Josh here is a list of pros and cons to skipping: http://college.usatoday.com/2014/01/...before-a-ph-d/

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: B.Sc to PhD - February 3rd 2016, 11:26 PM

Do you have schools that you are looking into? If you have a few schools you are interested in going to you might want to look into what their requirements are for the program you want. You could also message the head of the department at the schools and ask them what their opinion is on skipping the Masters degree. They might all have differing views but then you might get a better idea of what they want when looking at applicants and so on.

I was looking into a Ph'D at one point and the schools I looked into did not require a master's degree. But, looking back, some of the schools I was looking into might have liked my application better if I had a master's degree.

I know it might seem weird to message people at a school you aren't ready to apply for yet but I am guessing that they get emails like that all the time. I messaged the head of the department at a college I wanted to attend and he was actually quite helpful.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: B.Sc to PhD - February 4th 2016, 05:19 PM

I'm still on my undergrad programme, but I'm doing a masters next year, and my personal choice is to then go on and do a PhD. I want as much ''practice'' as possible, and for me at least, I need to follow the steps, being guided less and less. If I jumped into a PhD now I wouldn't know what to do with myself. But that's a personal thing. If you think you can handle it and your programme allows for it, go for it.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread