TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
schuster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 1st 2016, 06:28 PM

I dropped out in the 10th grade, but now I'm working on my GED and I've already passed some of the tests.
The thing I'm worried about though, is that I'm 19 and I've never had a job. I've tried very hard with no luck. Also, I really don't know what kind of career I'd even want. I mean, I do have some interests. But not enough to pick a career. I probably can't go to college. I'm young and feeling very lost.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 1st 2016, 09:59 PM

Hey,

I am 24 years old and never had a job. There are a lot of people that have never had a job. As far as college goes of course you can go even if it's a junior college first. I'm going to be 25 or 26 when I start junior college. Age is just a number.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 01:32 AM

Once you're 19, you can generally apply to school as a mature student, so there's that.
In terms of jobs, have you considered volunteering and stuff to build your resume? And are you applying to places like Walmart and McDonalds? Do both those things, and I'm sure something will come up. But to be honest, the job market is really unkind to people our age. I have 2 degrees and loads of people don't even want to hire me for retail. Cause I went to university for 6 years to be rejected by a grocery store (which is not as entitled as it sounds, just frustrating because I'm at my wits end)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 01:59 AM

I'm 27 and never had a job, went to school my whole life to get what I needed to do what I had always wanted, got really close and it fell apart. I ended up left in debt with no work history and crushed. Sometimes even when you know exactly what you want, life happens.

It's okay to not know what you want to do yet and it's okay to be "lost" right now. If you want to go to college you can, a community college class or two might help you figure out what you're interested in (or at least what you know you DON'T want to do.) This ONET interest profiler might give you a few ideas of what you might like.

http://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
schuster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 06:58 AM

I have tried looking for volunteer work, and even that is limited and hard to find :/ I check craigslist everyday though for job openings and volunteer work.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
schuster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
[font="Arial"][color="Blue"][size="2"]I'm 27 and never had a job, went to school my whole life to get what I needed to do what I had always wanted, got really close and it fell apart. I ended up left in debt with no work history and crushed. Sometimes even when you know exactly what you want, life happens.

It's okay to not know what you want to do yet and it's okay to be "lost" right now. If you want to go to college you can, a community college class or two might help you figure out what you're interested in (or at least what you know you DON'T want to do.) This ONET interest profiler might give you a few ideas of what you might like.
Also, I'm sorry if this is a personal question, but how do you make a living then? I'm so sorry about your luck.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 07:20 AM

I don't. I am perpetually unemployed and EXTREMELY lucky that my mom says she'll never force me to move out and she's fully supporting me. That's not the way I want it. I'd love to at least be able to contribute something since she recently retired, but it's not possible right now and she understands that I'm looking for a job and that the last 17 months have been absolute hell.

We expected that I would finish my degree and quickly get a job since the field is desperate for professionals, but I ended up with a disability diagnosis instead (that made the career impossible), forced out of school due to the effects of it (with no legal recourse), and everything collapsed within a matter of months. It's a year later and I'm just now getting a chance to breathe.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 05:57 PM

Its normal to not know what you want to do. When I was 19 , I thought I was going to do what I was going to college for- I changed my mind and now I am 23 , in grad school in a different field, and still don't know.

But your options are limited since you don't have a highschool degree. A GED is an equivalent but it still carries the stigma. You could probably apply to a community college or a 2 year technical school(after your GED), and graduate with an associates -or maybe even transfer to a 4 year school. That would greatly improve your options. You could be a pharm tech or something like that.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 3rd 2016, 06:11 PM

You usually don't start off with a career. People always say shoot for the stars, but you can't exactly do that from square one. I hate to say it, but you might have to take some shitty jobs first before you can take on something enjoyable. Are you passing over the worst of the worst?

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 4th 2016, 09:12 PM

A few people have made some excellent points. In popular culture, we like to make out that somebody graduates high school or college, gets the job right out of high school that they fall in love with and work there until they retire. Unfortunately, that's pretty much never what happens. Working a first job is a great first step to start to see what you like or what you don't like.

On the job stuff, Craigslist isn't all that helpful. When I moved in with my boyfriend this summer, I applied for over 20 jobs. Ultimately, on my way to drop off a resume at the job I wanted, I took a break out of the heat in a Cold Stone Creamery, randomly filled out an application, and worked there all summer. There are two lessons to get out of this. One, you'll apply for a ton before you get any offers. I'm a college graduate and nobody wanted to hire me. It's just the game. The second lesson is that going in-person may be a better bet. Fill out online apps, but also go into your favorite stores, restaurants, and places around town and simply ask if they're hiring.

For career stuff, what do you like? What are your hobbies? What do you catch yourself reading for hours and hours on Wikipedia? Those are good places to start! I fell in love with my volunteer job as a peer educator, and now, I'm studying health behavior in graduate school.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jupiter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm a dropout. 19. *Older Audience Preferred* - March 5th 2016, 08:22 AM

Hey Schuster,

Dropping out of high school early will not limit your future options as long as you work at it.

Firstly, a GED is not some taboo-like certificate that universities will avoid at all costs. If you go to a community college and transfer from there, you will have a chance to explain it via write-up in your university application. If there's no serious reason for dropping out of high school, make one up and make sure you can back it up. The jobs will naturally come as you progress.

Closed Thread