TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Exclamation (Clueless) International Student From India - March 8th 2016, 03:37 PM

Alright, so I'm from India and I'd be finishing school in a month or so. For college, I plan to go to film school for production/screenwriting and since there aren't any established ones for UG here, I have applied to a few places in the US, Canada and the UK.
The thing is that financing it would be an issue since most of the colleges are too expensive and I'd need to take student loans plus work plus get a decent scholarship. My parents think I should stay in India for UG, gain some work experience and then go abroad for PG but I already wrote my SAT, my IELTS and got pretty good scores too (2020 and 8.5/9 respectively). Moreover, I got admitted to UBC, Vancouver as well but they don't really offer any significant scholarships.
My point is that I REALLY wanna go after a year of hard work and it'd depress me to the core if I have to stay.
My plan included finishing my UG there, taking three years off for work experience and earning and then going ahead with PG but my parents say that there's no way I would manage to earn even a decent fraction of my PG costs in three years and it'd be an utter waste cuz I would have no other resources to fund my Masters'. They're also skeptical because I plan to get into the film industry which is highly competitive and, let's be honest here, minorities like Asians don't really have much representation in Hollywood as well.
My questions are:
What would you have done?
Do you guys have ANY advice whatsoever or any sort of work programs websites or scholarship pages I could see or anyone I could contact?
At this point of my desperation, I'd honestly find any help useful.
Thanks a ton for reading it all!

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: (Clueless) International Student From India - March 10th 2016, 12:27 AM

Manasvi, I sent you a PM about this

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread