TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Question Want to quit volunteering - March 10th 2016, 08:47 AM

Hi,

So for the past 6-ish weeks, I've been volunteering at a cancer charity shop. The only issue now, is I've been having wrist problems. I've gone to the hospital, but all they have said is that they've found nothing wrong with it. It's not only that, but I feel like I've lost my motivation for it too. I really want to quit, but I don't know how, or whether I should, because it's from the job centre, as they said it can help with my anxiety, as well as confidence on till, which I feel I've got (I got 10 mins till training on my previous job and got fired for being short of money)

Can anyone give me advice of what to do... I have to go in for 12 - 2 today, and it's half 9 now. I may just say that I can only do the hour though, and maybe think about it then... What can I do??????

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Want to quit volunteering - March 10th 2016, 04:58 PM

I know you'd posted this earlier this morning but just in case you're still stuck on what to do I just thought I'd chip in.

In the past I've had to volunteer at a charity shop as part of a mandatory work programme on two separate occasions, then volunteered by my own choice and am now required to find some form of voluntary placement though not mandatory at this time through the Job Centre. If you have been specifically set to do mandatory work placement at this one specific charity shop it may be a little bit harder to stop going there as a 'refusal' (as they call it) to go there may directly affect your benefits unless you give them a very good reason for you no longer wanting to participate (e.g. severe back problems with evidence provided by your GP, loss in your immediate family etc). If you're not assigned to a mandatory work placement and it was merely suggested by the Job Centre solely for the reasons you've said, to help give you some confidence on the till and to help with your anxiety, it may be easier to get out of.

If you feel that you've hit the end of the road with your volunteering at this charity shop then it may be best to explain this to the Job Centre. There's no point in being there for the experience/knowledge if you've learnt all you can and want to progress on to something else. Secondly, explain to them that it's also been affecting your physical health (your wrist trouble) and just go into a little of detail what the problem is and how it's affecting your ability to work there. Although you've already been to the hospital to get it checked out and whilst they've come up blank, it may be best to leave this part out otherwise the case you're trying to make to try and finish volunteering at the charity shop may not be as strong.

Life is for living, not for losing.

Closed Thread