TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Three associate's? - March 12th 2016, 03:51 PM

So I have two associates degrees, and I want to go for a third. You may have remembered my wanting to go for social work I've changed my mind.

I have a question though, my academic advisor at my local community college told me that three associate's degrees didn't look good on a resume. Do you think that's true? He's making me kind of hesitant on going back for a third. I mean, it sort of ties in with paralegal, it's internet and interactive digital media. I thought I would do something that I would enjoy rather than something I'm not sure about.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Three associate's? - March 12th 2016, 05:33 PM

Hey Alisha,

I'm not sure if it LOOKS bad exactly, but I'm also unsure of how useful that would be. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to go for a Bachelor's degree instead of a third AA?

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#3 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Three associate's? - March 12th 2016, 05:56 PM

I cannot afford a bachelor's degree. :/ at this community college I go for free. Can't beat that!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Three associate's? - March 12th 2016, 06:11 PM

Well, check with your state and with the local universities/colleges. There might be grant or scholarship programs you're not aware of

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Three associate's? - March 12th 2016, 06:13 PM

I agree with Chris, I think it's less of an issue of how it looks and more of how useful it is. Most jobs that look for degrees want at least a bachelor's unless it's a field where the standard is an AAS like medical assisting. In most cases an associates degree won't qualify you to do much. I guess in theory, it could also make you seem indecisive or even irresponsible, since you would have three 2-year degrees in different things as opposed to one or two 4-year degrees, especially if they aren't clearly related, either to each other, or the jobs you're looking for. Maybe it would be better to wait and make a clear decision, or go for a related bachelors.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Three associate's? - March 12th 2016, 10:55 PM

I agree with the others. Submit your FAFSA and apply for scholarships, and consider pursuing a BSW instead! You can do two years at that community college and transfer, but a BSW is a ton more useful than an AA in social work (or three AAs)

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Three associate's? - March 13th 2016, 12:01 AM

I think you need to go with something that you can afford. If you can't afford to get a BA there are alternatives. A lot of people think that getting a degree is a sure fire way to get a good job but sometimes working your way up in a career is useful. Basically, there are so many people out getting degrees that there aren't enough jobs to fill them. That's why there are a lot of people who get out of school and are still working in jobs that don't pertain to the major.

It might help if you get your next AA degree in a specialized field. Like, my boyfriend is getting his AS in computer networking. A specialized field might help.

And, my opinion isn't the popular opinion but I know a number of people who have worked their way up in jobs.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Three associate's? - March 13th 2016, 03:08 PM

I don't think the issue is multiple degrees. I mean, only an idiot would think that were bad. I already have 2 (a BA and a certificate) and I plan to get a third (a masters) plus a number of stand alone courses in creative writing and medical terminology and I think that only a fool would say that my constant acquisition of education is "bad", even when it is seemingly unrelated on paper.

That said, I'm not quite sure what an associates degree is versus a college diploma. In Canada, most 2 year programs are college courses (e.g. nursing, paramedic, welding, film, social work, electrician, marketing etc) and most 4 year programs are BA's (sociology, psychology, English, economics, communications) BSc's (psychology, biology, chemistry, math) BBA's (economics, finance, accounting, marketing) BFA (art things, like painting or photography), BMus (music..) BEng (engineering) and BN (bachelor of Nursing), the list goes on, but in Canada it's much more clearly divided.

My point is that I am not quite sure I fully understand why an associates degree would be considered to be lesser and/or unemployable becaue a diploma here (e.g. welding) is just as employable as a BA (e.g. sociology) because you'd get hired in different areas, it's just that you'd be considered more intellectual for having a sociology degree vs. welding diploma (but some college courses are super theoretical!) and, in the long run, people with 4 year BA's have a higher earning potential (e.g. I'll most likely get paid more than my friend who only got a 2 year diploma)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Three associate's? - March 13th 2016, 03:15 PM

I'm going for a third associates. I need something I enjoy. It doesn't matter to me if I have to start an entry level job in retail or something like that, I have experience in that. And who knows, maybe I'll get a career in website design. I don't care what that advisor says, I'm going for it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Three associate's? - March 13th 2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Nuggets View Post
I'm going for a third associates. I need something I enjoy. It doesn't matter to me if I have to start an entry level job in retail or something like that, I have experience in that. And who knows, maybe I'll get a career in website design. I don't care what that advisor says, I'm going for it.
Google some of the things you'd need to get into Web design. Would an AA suffice or would you need a BA? Look at if there are certificates or something you'd need. I know for my boyfriends degree the main thing he's going to need is a certificate and the degree he is getting is going to prepare him for that test.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#11 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Three associate's? - March 15th 2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Ultimately, it is ourselves that we have to answer to if things don't work out well.

You seem like you are pretty set on doing this, so I don't think anyone here can change your mind.

It's good that you have thought it through and are not going into this with possibly unrealistic expectations. But I hope it works out the way you want it to.

All the best with your studies!

Be kind to yourself.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Three associate's? - March 18th 2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I cannot afford a bachelor's degree. :/ at this community college I go for free. Can't beat that!
Have you looked into scholarships, financial aid, etc.? Getting a bachelors is likely worth your time, and money. You may need to take on some loan in the mean time. However, as long as you're enrolled at least part time in courses, you don't pay anything. After the fact is a different story.

Quote:
Web design is hardly a career unless you plan on starting your own business. Web development is what's marketable, and typically you'll need to attend a boot camp, or have a bachelors if you want to land a salaried job with benefits. Another associates isn't likely to land you anywhere. You also need to take into consideration the ethical ramifications of "free" college for a third associates.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I err on the side of your counselor. Another associates isn't going to make you any happier. Get a bachelors. There's plenty of help out there to make it more affordable. I am going to college at 27 years old and no job. I'm not paying anything for school. I live on my own, and have expenses any other adult would.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Three associate's? - March 19th 2016, 04:40 AM

He is right. It might not look good on a resume to have 3 associate's. It might look like you just want to stay in school and don't know what you want to do. It raises questions. A third associate's in 6 years basically says "I completely wasted my time and money getting the first two". It also indicates that for some reason or another, you were reluctant to go to a university. There are worse things that you can put on a resume, so it isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it doesn't look good. It costs less than a bachelor's, but you aren't getting much in return for your third associate's. A degree in a field (especially only an associates) doesn't guarantee a job in any similar field. What helps get a job is just having a degree (for the most part). You have 2 associate's already, so the "have more than a high school degree" box is already checked off.

Most jobs want people with 4 year degrees anyways. They either ask for that or just a high school degree/GED. Another AA degree isn't going to boost your chances of getting a satisfying job. A Bachelor's might though- and its worth considering.

Repeat degrees are frowned upon by colleges and employers. I was considering going back for a second Bachelor's degree - and almost applied, but some universities wouldn't allow second Bachelor's , while others made you write an essay detailing why you want to get a second Bachelor's instead of a Master's or PhD. There is almost a stigma to getting repeats of the same type of degree. Employers probably have a similar attitude toward a third associate's. Don't go back for a degree that will only make you look like a career student.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Three associate's? - March 29th 2016, 12:17 PM

I agree too

Closed Thread