TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

need tips - March 28th 2016, 12:22 AM

So.

I am working on an 8-10 page paper. Due April 2. Scared out of my mind. I got a working thesis, some quotes and a rough outline. Showed my thesis and outline to professor, he says it's good but I should go back and "complicate" my working thesis (why do English professors love saying that?)

It is a compare/contrast essay. All from my head, preferably no outside sources- as in I may use it if absolutely necessary but not encouraged.

I am super stressed. I don't know what to do. Didn't feel like the writing center helped much. I did some brainstorming. I don't know what else I can do. I am stuck in how to write it. I am scared I will start writing but it will turn out a waste. That's why I've been procrastinating.

I am also confused about some of my professor's comments but I am too scared to ask him this late because the paper is due soon and I dont want him to know I hadn't started writing yet

I can PM you my thesis and comments he wrote but I don't want it to be a public thing.

Thank you in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: need tips - March 30th 2016, 06:45 PM

Hey there,

Sorry I hadn't answered this earlier! How is your thesis coming along?

It's good that your professor thought that your outline was good. I'm not sure what he meant by 'complicate' it, but was wondering if he meant instead of having all your points for and then all your points against, to have make a point for, and then argue against that point, before moving on to a different point. Does that make sense?

It's also good to brainstorm and write 'stuff' even if you don't think it's good enough. When I was doing my dissertation, we were told that even if we thought our work wasn't good enough, to keep going with it, rather than starting afresh and changing several times as that puts more pressure on us to finish it.

You could also ask your professor about some of the comments he made. He doesn't have to know that you haven't started writing...you could just say you were looking back through your outline and wanted to follow up on his comments.

If you want to PM me your thesis, you can, and I'll try (but can't guarantee) to read through it in time!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: need tips - March 31st 2016, 06:47 AM

One tip I learned that really helped me if my essays are too short is to go through and higlight every sentence that is somewhat vague. After you do that, go through and either add content or rewrite them completely.
It's tough because you can't use quotes which can take up space, but you can also take a look at your paragraphs and see if you can break them up more and expand that way.
You can feel free to PM me whatever you'd like and I can help as much as I can. I've taken a lot of higher up writing courses so I should be able to help some.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: need tips - March 31st 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWelshWolf View Post
Hey there,

Sorry I hadn't answered this earlier! How is your thesis coming along?

It's good that your professor thought that your outline was good. I'm not sure what he meant by 'complicate' it, but was wondering if he meant instead of having all your points for and then all your points against, to have make a point for, and then argue against that point, before moving on to a different point. Does that make sense?

It's also good to brainstorm and write 'stuff' even if you don't think it's good enough. When I was doing my dissertation, we were told that even if we thought our work wasn't good enough, to keep going with it, rather than starting afresh and changing several times as that puts more pressure on us to finish it.

You could also ask your professor about some of the comments he made. He doesn't have to know that you haven't started writing...you could just say you were looking back through your outline and wanted to follow up on his comments.

If you want to PM me your thesis, you can, and I'll try (but can't guarantee) to read through it in time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eumoirous View Post
One tip I learned that really helped me if my essays are too short is to go through and higlight every sentence that is somewhat vague. After you do that, go through and either add content or rewrite them completely.
It's tough because you can't use quotes which can take up space, but you can also take a look at your paragraphs and see if you can break them up more and expand that way.
You can feel free to PM me whatever you'd like and I can help as much as I can. I've taken a lot of higher up writing courses so I should be able to help some.

Thank you Nicole and Holly! I am doing okay for now I think. I got a lot of writing done-though it's still draft-y. I am trying to get 5 solid pages before bed and 3 solid pages tomorrow plus looking over it. That would be 8 pages plus hopefully time for editing. (Not proud for delaying this for so long but it is what it is at this point) I do have a lot of material I've generated to work with but it just has to be the formal paragraphs now.

Closed Thread