TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Job interview tips? - April 7th 2016, 09:26 AM

I can't afford to not get this job I'm going for and I was wondering what tips do you guys have which I could use?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Job interview tips? - April 7th 2016, 06:55 PM

I'm applying for a campus job so it may be a little different, but my friend who already has the job was floored by how many people came in for their interview in casual clothes. Dress in something professional.

It is also a good idea to show up 5-15 minutes early. Better early than late! I had a career development teacher once tell us that if you show up exactly on time, you're late. Show up early.

Bring in copies of your resume (CV?) and references. Give a firm handshake at the beginning but obviously not so hard as to break their hand or anything, and give them a copy of your CV and references.

My friend also told me that she kept her hands in her lap because she's the type of person who makes a lot of hand movements, and she wanted to avoid that. Make eye contact.

It may be a good idea to research the company and the job you are applying for before the interview. It is a great idea to know about the company because it shows that you are really interested in it and putting in the effort.

Knowing about the job you are applying for can also help you answer the "what can you bring to the table" type questions because you can tailor them a bit.

My friend also said that the job I am currently applying for gave scenarios. For example, since I'm applying for a desk attendant job for the dorms in my university, she said that one scenario may be that we have a fire drill. Basically we'd grab this one bin, grab the walkie, close the doors, and go. Obviously your scenarios would be different, but if possible think of scenarios.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Job interview tips? - April 7th 2016, 11:10 PM

My advice is to think before you talk. More than you usually would. When the interviewer(s) ask(s) a question, it is much better to stay silent for 1-2 seconds whilst you think of something concise to say, than start speaking straight away and then end up babbling and going 'round in circles. This will make you feel panicked and in turn you will find it even harder to think of something intelligent to say. But if you do accidentally start down that path, just stop, take a deep breath, apologise and start again. They expect people to be nervous and will be understanding.

Also, in a similar vein to shaking hands at the beginning, thank them for their time at the end of the interview.

Best of luck!

Be kind to yourself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job interview tips? - April 8th 2016, 10:10 PM

Practice the answers to Common questions such as
- why do you want to you here?
- what are your strengths?
- how do you overcome challenges?
- what skills do you bring to the position?
Google more questions and pull them into a word document. You can make a sort of data base of questions with your answers until you're comfortable with everything that might come up. I'm the word doc you can make bullet points of your answers - that way instead of memorizing a speech you can just remember points and adapt them to an interview.

Seriously, dress up properly too. I used to be a mega Tom boy and thought if I wore my best jeans and a normal cardigan I was dressing up and for me, that was true, but an interviewer won't know that you put a lot of thought into your outfit if you're still dressed really casual by most people's standards.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harry24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Job interview tips? - April 13th 2016, 09:46 AM

Interviews are really scary. I'm not discouraging you, but even I too am really nervous about interviews. I've recently read this blog on interview preparations. http://www.theexecutivewing.com/blog...-a-difference/ Quite a good one. Hope it helps you in some way.

Closed Thread