TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 18th 2016, 04:28 AM

Ok, so I FINALLY got a job. It's part-time minimum wage, but I never thought I'd be so grateful just to be employed. It's a new store that isn't open yet. They've hired about twice the number of people they're going to need just to get the store open, then they're letting about half of them go. So, there's a good chance I'll be "fired" in a few weeks, but if they like me, there's a chance they'll keep me. The problem is one of the 3 managers.

The one who makes the hiring decisions is amazing and seems to like me, the other literally yells the whole day. I'm comforted by the fact that it's not just me, nobody can stand this woman. Her problem-prevention strategy seems to be to just assume people will screw up and to yell at everyone before it happens. Now they're threatening to fire people and saying "if you don't want to be here, I'll let someone who wants to work have your hours."

I have a feeling I'm on her short list of recommendations to be let go because she keeps reassigning me or putting me on the "easier" jobs within my assigned area which is actually a huge help and keeps her off my ass, but makes me think there's a target on my back. Thankfully, it's not up to her. I've only worked for a week (4 shifts total, 2 with her) and I'm already torn. I hope to keep the job because I desperately need it and my chances are probably relatively good since my competition are people who text behind the aisles, "hide" in the break room to avoid cleaning at the end of their shift, leave at lunch with store equipment and don't come back, and apparently quit without actually quitting. On the other hand, the thought of dealing with her for months or even years to come just makes me want to run for the hills. I'm afraid bringing it up with her will make it worse and mentioning or asking the hiring manager about it will make me look bad unless something REALLY bad happens. My plan is to do whatever she wants, keep my mouth shut and wait it out until they make their decision and then if they keep me, ask before accepting the job if she'll constantly be there and turn it down if she is. I know it's immature of me to quit my only job because of one person, but I don't deserve to be subjected to this.This week I'm dealing with her for 3.5 of my 4 shifts I'm afraid I'm going to snap and get myself fired UGH

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 18th 2016, 06:51 AM

If you get kept on you could always work there for a few months and then start applying for other jobs. Places like when you have experience and if you have 6 months to a year that could do a world of good in regards to getting hired somewhere else.

But, if it's completely unbearable then quit and see if you could find something else.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 19th 2016, 12:17 AM

Sometimes you just have to embrace the suck. Its how I feel about my job atm. But they pay me enough to stay for a while.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 26th 2016, 11:46 PM

Hi Kate.

Firstly, there is the saving grace that she's one of three managers and not the only one. You've said that one of the others likes you, so that is definitely a positive. If you can try and build upon that relationship it would be advantageous.

I would strongly advise you not to confront the manager you don't like or go to another manager about her. The reality is that these kind of companies want willing workers who just get on with the job and don't make waves. If you start causing problems, even though your intentions are good, you will be put to the top of the "let go" list, regardless of how hard you work.

Secondly, seeing as this is a new store opening, the managers are probably under a lot of pressure to get everything sorted in time. There's no guarantee, but her managing style might change a little once the store has been open for a while and things calm down.

I'm aware of how long you've been looking for a job and I think that when this happens, we tend to want the eventual job to have been worth waiting for. But the reality is that no job is ideal in every way. There will always be something wrong and I think it's best to try to overlook the imperfections as far as possible.

I wouldn't think of the job as something you will be doing for years, because that's only going to make you feel trapped. If you are kept on once the store opens, perhaps set an initial goal of 3 months? If it's that unbearable, you could then start looking for something else.

Be kind to yourself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 27th 2016, 12:00 AM

Good news, she and one of the others who I haven't had much contact with, are from corporate and won't be staying, so they said she's leaving within the next few days and I can tolerate her for that long.

I worked closely with the one manager who is staying (and hiring) yesterday. He may or may not be on the fence about keeping me (issues relating to my undisclosed disability) happened, or he could've just been having a rough day since it gets harder for him the closer we get to opening and we open on Sunday. If they keep me, I'll stay for at least a few months and see how he manages once she's off his back (seriously, no one can stand her.), if they don't keep me, I was warned when hired so I'd be okay with it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 27th 2016, 03:13 AM

I am glad that you won't have to be dealing with that manager much longer.

As for your disability causing issues at work, they have to try and reasonably accommodate you. They might not always be able to but if there are things that are going on that are getting in the way of you working then you might want to disclose it and see how that goes.

I know that might be something you don't want to do though but I thought I would throw it out there.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 27th 2016, 04:20 AM

Yes, my disclosure plan was going to be to wait because

a. I didn't want to wonder if their final hiring decision, no matter which way it went, was influenced by them knowing. Either firing me because of that and blaming it on letting half of us go, or keeping me out of pity, "diversity", or fear of a discrimination claim. I wouldn't bring one unless it was blatant, in which case I would probably just quit, but I didn't like the idea of putting them in that position.

b. The diagnosis is controversial and what helps me would be unusual plus I didn't know what accommodations (if any) I would need until I actually started working; better to figure out what I need and what would help, so if asked, I can give them a concrete answer. I also knew that starting before we opened would help with some of the issues and didn't want to make a big deal out of something that would end up not being one.

So far, the 'issues' are small, like he told me twice to go find something or put something away and I still didn't know where it was/went after working there for about 2 weeks. One was totally my fault because it was literally written on the wall in huge letters. The second one I would have probably eventually found, but not before he started wondering where I was with it. They also don't trust me to scan an item and go stock it because I still don' t know where stuff goes. The scanner tells you the location, but doesn't help if you don't know where in the store that location is. He made a joke about me being "blind", but when I didn't think it was funny, he backed off. I knew this would be an issue, but expected it to be better by now. The reason it's now a problem is because common sense tells them that everyone "should" have it figured out by now.

We'll see how I do cashiering, it seems pretty straight forward, but I'm still concerned mostly with making change. Right now the plan is to disclose if they keep me and have ideas of what I know would help, ready, most of them should end up being simple things anyway.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 27th 2016, 07:56 PM

Unfortunately, the managers in retail positions can be horrible. I find that most of them don't really have very many leadership skills or people management skills; they might have been a good little sheep, but can get really nasty when given power. I have a manager that basically bullies me (seen her making faces to a coworker when I went by), and it's like I get it, some people generally think I am a little weird but that's no excuse to be mean to me (whether it's to my face or behind my back). So yeah, managers in retail can suck, so can the employees, even a job that was ok can be totally ruined by the people you work with.

Saying something can, unfortunately, be dangerous. The same goes for speaking up about disabilities. In a proper professional situation, I expect people to take me seriously if I say I have an anxiety disorder or say that a manager is being inappropriate / wrong in their behaviour or actions, but I think that the "little guy" gets abused a lot in retail a lot because customers pick on us and so do managers. The best thing to do is to quietly find ways to cope with it on your own and reevaluate if nothing is improving the situation.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 28th 2016, 06:15 AM

We opened early and she left today! The rest of the people are actually really good to work with and I love the manager who stayed so if absolutely necessary, I'm comfortable disclosing to him considering that the "problems" it's causing will become more and more obvious as time goes on. Supposedly, the day he decides is May 30th so we'll see what he does. Like I said, I'm okay either way and right now nobody knows what they're doing, but as that becomes less "acceptable" I may have to disclose, I'm already tempted it just depends what I'm doing and I would only ask for accommodations if I couldn't do the job without them which I really don't see happening. There are really no mistakes I could make that would mean an immediate termination, it's more him getting frustrated when I'm still making the little mistakes when I should be "over" them. This isn't something I would ever need to call off for frequently either. Growing up undiagnosed/unaccommodated has forced me to push through a lot of things, this is no different and unlike graduate school required for my dream job, this isn't worth fighting that hard for.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 30th 2016, 05:50 AM

I was let go, "unofficially", but chances are good I won't be called to go back in, so this can be closed.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Need the job, can't stand the manager - April 30th 2016, 09:47 AM

Sorry to hear that. I'll close this thread now, but PM me if you want to re-open it at anytime.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread