TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Thinking of going back into education... - April 21st 2016, 06:56 PM

Hey guys,

I have really been thinking hard about going back into education. I am 24 and live in the UK. I studied an NVQ Level 2 in Business & Administration but I am really thinking I would like to study further. I've been looking at a Humanities & Social Sciences access course as this would allow me to go to university and go on to do a degree. I would only be able to study part-time as I realistically could not stop working or go part-time. Has anyone done this course or a similar one, and anyone have any ideas of what degrees this course would allow me to do. I've looked online and it doesn't give me too much information, so it could be helpful to talk to someone who has done something similar to have an idea of what degree I could do and what career I could go into after.

Thanks in advance guys!

Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Thinking of going back into education... - April 22nd 2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaigiexx View Post
Hey guys,

I have really been thinking hard about going back into education. I am 24 and live in the UK. I studied an NVQ Level 2 in Business & Administration but I am really thinking I would like to study further. I've been looking at a Humanities & Social Sciences access course as this would allow me to go to university and go on to do a degree. I would only be able to study part-time as I realistically could not stop working or go part-time. Has anyone done this course or a similar one, and anyone have any ideas of what degrees this course would allow me to do. I've looked online and it doesn't give me too much information, so it could be helpful to talk to someone who has done something similar to have an idea of what degree I could do and what career I could go into after.

Thanks in advance guys!

Paige
I personally don't have a degree in Humanities, but I have several friends who do. The other exception that I want to make note of is that I live in the states.

Every person I know who got a degree in Humanities, unanimously, works in retail, breweries (yes, multiple friends with humanities ended up there), and a church. However, they didn't enter these jobs at a 'base level' so-to-speak. Thus, I'd imagine that you'd end up somewhere similar. It's basically just something that says you put additional work into yourself, which makes you more hire-able than someone without a degree. But you say you already studied Business Administration, so I'm uncertain what this would benefit you.

I found this:
http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-conten...ees-REPORT.pdf

It's 2 years old, but it shows you the earnings by degree. Page 36 shows earnings comparatively in humanities to business.

Also you can try indeed.com
http://www.indeed.co.uk/Research-Stu...l-Science-jobs

You can search for job listings in your area to see base salary, job requirements, etc. for a specific degree.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Thinking of going back into education... - April 22nd 2016, 06:53 PM

Humanities and social science covers quite a bit

I guess it depends on what you are interested in. My degree was in Educational Studies and English so slightly similar. I hope to be a primary school teacher, but some of my friends have gone on to teach at secondary schools and colleges. I have other friends who did a degree in Journalism or Graphic Design, and my brother is currently doing a degree in History. Other degrees that would come under 'Humanities' would be in film, music, drama, philosophy, sociology, other languages, business and accounting. 'Social science' could include criminology, education, psychology and sociology.

You might like to check out the National Careers Service. They have a handy section on 'job profiles' where you can browse all different types of careers and what qualifications you would need.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me anytime

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Thinking of going back into education... - April 26th 2016, 11:06 PM

Hello.

I did an Access course. Mine was in 'Healthcare' but the college offered a 'Social Sciences' one too. The people doing Social Sciences wanted to go on to complete degrees in subjects such as Social Work or Psychology. I'm not 100% sure, but you might also be able to use it to get into teaching. Essentially, you'd be looking at a career working with/helping people.

Ultimately, however, it is up to each individual university to decide whether or not to accept Access course students. If you go to a university's webpage for a particular degree, under the entry requirements there will be something about it. If in doubt, contact them and ask. They'll be happy to advise you.

You may be thinking, "But universities offer lots of different degrees, it's going to take forever to read through the entry requirements for all of them". And that's where my next bit of advice comes in...

In all honesty, I wouldn't start an Access course until you know how you're going to make use of it (i.e. what degree you will go on to study). They're not much use as a stand-alone qualification and are only valid for two years upon completion so, if you don't start university within that timeframe, you'll have wasted time and money.

Everyone I was on the course with was set on a particular career before they started and that's kind of how it's supposed to work, rather than starting the course and seeing where it takes you.

I'm definitely not trying to put you off. I just think it's better to go into it knowing what you are going to do afterwards.

Do you have any idea what sort of career you would like? If you have a rough idea then it makes it a lot easier when looking at university websites. Also, the looking might help you to make a decision. Often the degrees will be grouped into faculties/departments which can help you to further narrow down your choices.

If you want any more advice or support, you can PM me any time!

As a side note, I think most colleges run Access courses part-time, because they realise that the people doing them have other commitments.

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; April 26th 2016 at 11:25 PM.

Closed Thread