TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Listelacruz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

I don't feel motivated at my job - April 29th 2016, 05:36 AM

I'm 18 years old with my first job, and through a set of circumstances I would rather not discuss here I'm also paying all of my own bills as well, a sudden change from before. Shaken into independence I guess.

Everyone at work thinks I'm a crazy kind of happy when I am actually depressed and that's the only way I can hide it. My supervisor and ops manager (basically my supervisor's supervisor) both act like they like me and act like they think I do well at my job but I see people all around me advancing where I don't. When I first got the job I felt motivated to exceed even through my depression but all that motivation is just gone.

This is the only job where I am that pays enough for me to live off of being completely unskilled as I am. I can't afford to leave this job and I just don't have the motivation to continue schooling either (high school was the worst experience of my life)

I don't know what to do here. I don't want to stay at this job but I feel I have no choice. I don't have a car or license for that matter and I don't have a family too willing to help. I don't know what I can do to help myself just be able to wake up in the morning and muster up the strength just to go to work. I don't enjoy anything I do, at work or home. I just don't know how I can change things.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I don't feel motivated at my job - April 30th 2016, 05:03 PM

Have you tried talking to your bosses?

Also, were these people working at the company longer? Some companies (unrealistically) value seniority over contributions sometimes.

Were these people doing things you weren't? Even if it seems like you were working harder, these people might have tapped into the easier things to do that were the things the bosses wanted.

Also, are those people older? Even just by a year or two? It could be about age / assumed maturity (emphasis on assumed).

I'm maybe not right about those things but I'm just trying to help.

Talking to your boss and letting them know you'd like more opportunities could go a long way; they might be more inclined to sort of help you out, give you some tips and support you or, at the very least, let you know why that isn't happening for you right now. They might be able to tell you what they need in the next person to move forth. Any manager/company worth their salt will support people who are willing and interested in furthering their position at the company.

Don't worry about school right now. You're young and school can be draining, exhausting, and awful, especially if it isn't what you wanted. Someday you might go back when you find what you want to do. I feel like people are so quick to be like "yo, go to college if you have a problem with where you're at", like that's easier said than done if you don't have the money to spend on something that you don't even want to do right now because college is useless if there isn't an end goal.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I don't feel motivated at my job - May 7th 2016, 03:16 AM

Sometimes you have to work at a company for a certain amount of time before you will be able to advance.

I know you posted this a while ago but I would suggest that you talk to your bosses and ask them what you can do to advance. They will probably be glad to have you ask them this question and they would probably love to give you pointers or advice on what you can do.

As for you depression and lack of motivation, don't let your lack of advancement get to you. A lot of people face this predicament when they are starting out. But, if you keep pushing forward you might find that you advance and get to where you want to be and that advancement could end up helping you with your depression and motivation.

And, if you have the ability maybe you could look into therapy? It might help you deal with some of the stress that you are dealing with.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Listelacruz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

Re: I don't feel motivated at my job - May 11th 2016, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I can say right now it has nothing to do with company seniority - those in my department were either in the same training class as me or in a later one. I was a part of the first group of people to be hired on for it. Maybe it's just age, I don't know, but in all honesty I'm more worrried about finding motivation than getting a promotion.

Also, I have already tried therapy multiple times. It hasn't helped with depression and I really do not want to takr any pills for it.

Thank you again.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SandraLadwig Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra Ladwig

Re: I don't feel motivated at my job - May 17th 2016, 07:07 AM

I think that if u don't like ur job, u will never feel motivated ur job.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jade24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't feel motivated at my job - May 17th 2016, 12:15 PM

It's really very important that you love the job you do. Loving your job itself, is a good motivation. I'm a senior at school and will soon graduate. I'm thinking of setting up my own business after that. But since, I have various interests, I'm currently analyzing myself to know which field suits me more. Here are some tips I found to help me out. http://www.ontariobusinesscentral.ca...iness-for-you/ Hope it helps you too. It's always clever to make your hobbies and interests, your job.

Closed Thread