TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Military career? - May 8th 2016, 11:33 AM

Hi Guys,
So I've been thinking of going into the military as an officer. Ideally in the Para regiment. I know the physical/mental demands. I was just wondering, is there anyone here who is planning on joining the military/is in the military, and could talk to me about whether it's worth joining. currently, i'm nervous because I've had a great upbringing and never really been strapped for cash. I've nervous about whether I'll be able to adjust. i know it's personal for every person, but if anyone knows about how this works etc, I'd love to know.
Thanks for your time and for reading.
A Guy.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Military career? - May 8th 2016, 08:08 PM

I want to join the army since i was 7 and i still want to join its goi g to be hard but worth it

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stormblade Offline
The Cool Half
Not a n00b

Name: Logan

Re: Military career? - May 11th 2016, 02:46 AM

Hey there.

I'm not in the military myself, but my older brother is. His advice to anyone thinking of joining is that the only thing that really matters is how much you want to be in the military. He says he's seen petite women putting in more work than the angry officers commanding them, and young men in the peak of their physical form drop out because it was too much for them. He firmly believes anyone can be in the military as long as they really do want to be there. Joining the military isn't difficult at all; staying in the military is.

He says it's definitely a worthwhile career. It's very rewarding (especially so after you've been there a while), pays well if you can find work to do, and you get to go places. He also says that it's not so much a job for people who like being able to make a lot of their own choices. One of the reasons my brother joined was actually so that he'd never have to decide anything for himself again. You'll get bossed around a lot, but that might be something you'd expect. It's said that people get used to that after a while, too.

Oh, and if your military is anything like ours here, they like to drink. A lot. Like, all the time.

Send a message via Skype™ to Stormblade 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Military career? - May 11th 2016, 03:32 AM

Thanks for your responses guys!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Military career? - May 11th 2016, 05:08 AM

From what I've heard, I've come to the conclusion that there are certain people who are more suited to the military than others. And some of those who are suited will stay for life, whereas others will serve for several years and then move on.

I was chatting to a guy in the Marines the other day. He's been with them for a while (he's around age 30) and now wants to get out. He doesn't like being with the same people for long periods of time, feeling cooped up and not seeing his family. He's grateful for the qualifications that he's gained whilst he's been in the Marines, particularly because the equivalent university qualifications would have cost him a lot of money. But he now wants to use his knowledge to work amongst civilians, rather than continue his military career.

Of course, there would have been a time when the Marines was right for him and there are many people who are happy to be in the armed forces.

I don't know if this happens where you are, but here in the UK military bases will have Open Days (usually once a year) where members of the public can go and look around the barracks, engage in various activities and speak with the military personnel. We also have Aircraft and Air Shows at which the Parachute Regiment are often present because of the nature of their work.

I think it might be a good idea for you to try to attend an event like this, so that you are able to speak with people who can tell you exactly what it's like.

Ultimately though, I think that the decision of whether it's "worth joining" will be determined by your own personal values. As ElektriX said, people can adapt to life in the military if it's what they really want. But if you don't really want to be there, you will end up leaving quite quickly.

Be kind to yourself.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Military career? - May 11th 2016, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the reply mate.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SandraLadwig Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra Ladwig

Re: Military career? - May 17th 2016, 06:55 AM

I think that it's a huge step in your career!

Closed Thread