TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Angry The meeting with my teachers. - May 24th 2016, 07:56 PM

So, I had a meeting with two of my teachers today (as did several other of my classmates), those in charge of the "international section" classes, so history-geography in English and English-American Lit. They asked me why I thought they had requested to speak with me, and I said my lack of movtivation, lack of participation and grades going down. I was spot on. After that, I can't really remember the order of things... It was basically me telling them about anything I felt was related to my school performance, but I felt like they (in particular this one teacher) were very dismissive of me and weren't really trying to understand (let alone empathize with) my viewpoint.

For instance, I mentioned that I am someone who procrastinates a lot, to which they suggested I should try to not become a procrastinator and to do my schoolwork as soon as I get it (haha, if only it could be that simple!) . I explained that as long as I've been aware of this tendency of mine (which has been several years now) I've tried to change it again and again, but that nothing I've tried so far has worked and that I still procrastinate; so, I told them that instead of working on not procrastinating I would prefer to learn how to study efficiently as a procrastinator. She (that ONE teacher) said that it showed "close-mindedness" on my behalf to believe that procrastination was an actual trait of mine which couldn't be changed. (First of all, I never said that I believed that it wouldn't change, and second of all, damn it hurt to be called close-minded.)

Another comment similar to this one was made by her when I spoke about my investment in school work, after she had opened the subject about the possibility of me leaving the international section. I explained that when it comes to things which I don't enjoy and which last a long time (i.e. SCHOOL), I tend to only invest the minimum effort I need in order for me to pass, and that by leaving the international section I know I wouldn't invest the time I would be spending working on the IS work into my reguar schoolwork, and that I would continue doing the bare minimum in these regular classes regardless of wether or not I was in the IS, so I might as way stay on. Her response to this? "You don't know that." Gee, thanks. That's easy to say, but this is something I've deduced after years of thinking about it and trying to tackle my motivation problems. So I think I'm slightly better placed to talk about that than she is!

Finally, I can't remember exactly where these comments fitted into the conversation but at some point she said "you are not indispensable to the Section", "we don't need you" and "you are replaceable". Wowwwww thanks for saying that! First of all, I am completely aware that I'm replaceable and dispensable to the Section, second of all I never said anything to suggest that I believed that and third of all... WHAT THE HELL?!?! Why would you say that to someone?!?! Is that her sick way of attempting to motivate me or something? Is she hoping that it'll fuel my motivation to prove her wrong?? Because I'm not that kind of person; I'm the one who will walk away and say "sure, keep on being an ass and I'll just find my way out..." it doesn't make me want to prove her wrong, it just makes me want to get the hell out of there.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: The meeting with my teachers. - May 24th 2016, 08:28 PM

Hey Skye As someone who has had more than my fair share of meetings with teachers and professors that went like that (and worse), I have a pretty good idea what it feels like. I don't know what that teacher was trying to do by telling you that, probably going with the "tough love", "suck it up and deal" concept which doesn't work on most people. You're right, you know yourself better than they do and some teachers just have no clue how to talk to students, sad as that is, it's true a lot more often than we'd like to believe. Don't let her get to you, easier said than done I know, but if you can't let it go you could be carrying it for a long time. Just because she's an authority figure doesn't mean she's right or handled it the right way.

Unless they're actually considering forcing you out of the section(s), and have the power to do so, you should do what you think is right; which includes deciding whether you want to be in a class with a teacher who would say things like that to you. Either way, don't make the decision now, while you're upset, but don't feel bad if you decide to leave either.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: The meeting with my teachers. - May 24th 2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Hey Skye As someone who has had more than my fair share of meetings with teachers and professors that went like that (and worse), I have a pretty good idea what it feels like. I don't know what that teacher was trying to do by telling you that, probably going with the "tough love", "suck it up and deal" concept which doesn't work on most people. You're right, you know yourself better than they do and some teachers just have no clue how to talk to students, sad as that is, it's true a lot more often than we'd like to believe. Don't let her get to you, easier said than done I know, but if you can't let it go you could be carrying it for a long time. Just because she's an authority figure doesn't mean she's right or handled it the right way.

Unless they're actually considering forcing you out of the section(s), and have the power to do so, you should do what you think is right; which includes deciding whether you want to be in a class with a teacher who would say things like that to you. Either way, don't make the decision now, while you're upset, but don't feel bad if you decide to leave either.
Thank you, this helps a lot

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

Closed Thread