TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Exclamation can't decide to do credit/no credit - May 25th 2016, 03:22 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to be so annoying but I really need help deciding. Tomorrow is my final and I would have to give in the credit/no credit paper before I take the exam if I decide to do it.

These are my grades so far as well as the breakdown by percentage

Quizzes: 33%
Grades:
In class quizzes: 90, 70, 100, 60, 75, 105, 85, 80, 55, 100
Take home quizzes, ✓++, ✓++ (don't know the numerical value but I believe it's the highest grade for take homes)

Okay so lowest two are dropped, that means the 55 and 60 are out.

Then there's 2 3-page essays, that's 33% I got a B+ on the first one and for the second one I am told I will get it back after I take the final exam and hand in my test.

Then there's the final exam 20-24% (still don't know how the exact numerical percentage) I did not take this exam yet, it will be tomorrow.

Then there's class participation/attendance/coming prepared to class, that's 10-14%
Honestly, even though I was never absent and I was only late by 2-3 minutes a few times towards the end of the semester (it's an 8:00am class and I live an hour away), the professor seems pretty strict with participation. I think I participated more than others but there were still moments where nobody raised their hand. There were multiple times that nobody raised their hand at first, then I volunteered to give it a shot so I think that's good right? I would say I'm pretty engaged but then again, that's up to the professor to decide and I honestly don't know how many points he will give me.

So do you think I should apply for credit/no credit just in case? I am scared I'll need it if I do badly on the final exam and I also dont know my grade for the 2nd paper.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fallingforyou Offline
#radpenguin
Average Joe

Name: Leonie

Re: can't decide to do credit/no credit - May 25th 2016, 09:39 PM

Hey there,

the education system where I live is very different from the education system in America, but I'll try to offer some advice based on my opinion on grades at school in general

The way I see it it all depends on how well prepared you think you are for the test tomorrow. If you are feeling confident about it and you understood everything in class I don't see any reason not to take the credit. You said that you were afraid you might need it after the final exam and if you get a good grade on the upcoming exam it would take some pressure off of the final exam instead. Of course you never know how hard an exam will really be and if you have to come up with some extremely creative approach, but if it's an easy one you will regret it and even if your grade is "just average" it simply won't make a difference.

As you can see there are a lot of "if's" in this and both options come with a certain risk, but I still say you should take the credit and do your best. That's all you can do, really

Good luck!

Hakuna matata - it means no worries for the rest of your days.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Destroyprophecy Offline
Average Joe

Re: can't decide to do credit/no credit - May 26th 2016, 01:37 AM

For me i always do extra credit assignments just in case it will only help you and wont have any negative effects. Try it! you may even see it make a difference

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: can't decide to do credit/no credit - May 26th 2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingforyou View Post
Hey there,

the education system where I live is very different from the education system in America, but I'll try to offer some advice based on my opinion on grades at school in general

The way I see it it all depends on how well prepared you think you are for the test tomorrow. If you are feeling confident about it and you understood everything in class I don't see any reason not to take the credit. You said that you were afraid you might need it after the final exam and if you get a good grade on the upcoming exam it would take some pressure off of the final exam instead. Of course you never know how hard an exam will really be and if you have to come up with some extremely creative approach, but if it's an easy one you will regret it and even if your grade is "just average" it simply won't make a difference.

As you can see there are a lot of "if's" in this and both options come with a certain risk, but I still say you should take the credit and do your best. That's all you can do, really

Good luck!
I prepared a LOT for this exam and I decided I will not do the credit/no credit. I was reading up on it and decided against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyprophecy View Post
For me i always do extra credit assignments just in case it will only help you and wont have any negative effects. Try it! you may even see it make a difference
Thank you for the suggestion but I was not offered extra credit for this class so that's not something I can do. The professor basically said he doesnt give extra credit because the people who need it won't do it and the people who do it don't really need it. Lame logic, I know but that's his policy.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: can't decide to do credit/no credit - May 26th 2016, 03:22 PM

Hi, this thread can be closed.

Closed Thread