TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Arrow Being a writer (I'm a screenwriter) - May 18th 2009, 03:48 AM

All my life has been one horrible thing after another. Being rejected from birth by my birth parents, being constantly tormented by my classmates - & teachers!!! Eventually there was a time that if I stayed in High School I could have "went off" as a ticking time bomb... thankfully I got out before things went too far. I've always felt like an alien with something dark and twisted inside, a monster - only later in life I found out that this was due to splitting the "good adoptee" from the "bad adoptee" - the bad self, due to being silenced for so long, can go to dangerous lethal degrees if not controlled according to studies. I've seen someone stabbed to death, I almost killed a guy (while trying to protect someone, but I still can't overlook that in turn I almost went too far), and I'm still alive and breathing. And this is all in the "peaceful suburbs"...

But, today? Yeah, I'm broken. But, evidently I can also get paid for being messed up and it's called being a writer. I've always written, but in order to attain your voice - you really need to be able and willing to pour your blood and guts onto the page. Due to all of the introspection, especially recently, I've found what gives me that voice.

I have a friend who's father is an academy award winner & have an internship over at Warner Brothers this summer. The outcast is finally rising from the ashes. But, I can't ever be the same...

But, that's the thing - for those who've had intense pain throughout their life, writings a great place to turn. Not only is it therapeutic, for a while, you also get a life. Use it as a driving force, what I found is that that seriously helps to get you ahead. My life is only coming together because of it because I've been through so much that nothing can ever make me fall apart again, I'm a survivor and in that sense I can follow my destiny without looking back. And, I'm already making it. It's no longer a question, it's a solid future that I can finally see.

Rather than silencing everything you're thinking, write it and you'll be better for it. Every writer has a lot of pain inside of them. Ranging from Spielberg to Bono. Is it easy? I think with practice anyone can get the format of any writing style, but what really aids is this is a job for the "broken" because with that everything you have to say comes from your heart and there's a reason you want to get it across to the public which is the most important key to reaching an audience.

"PAGES" THREE DOORS DOWN

What happens to a man when
He spills his heart on a page and
He watches words flow away then
His feelings lie on the page alone
There waiting
For someone who cares to read them
To open their eyes to see them
To see if they can make his thoughts their own
To find out that maybe your life's not perfect
Maybe it's not worth what he gives away

You can see that this broken soul is bleeding
So you can see your feelings inside yourself
And wander through my heart
Letting you see through me
Now only consumes me
Forget your pain, watch me fall apart

What happens to a soul when
It's trapped inside his emotions
And all of these words he's spoken
They bind him to the life he's left behind
And every new step he takes
He knows that he might not make it
To all of these dreams that he has yet to find

Maybe your life's not perfect
But maybe it's not worth what he gives away
Now only consumes me
Forget your pain and watch me fall apart

Now only consumes me
Forget your pain and watch me fall apart
As i fall apart

Quote:
"I think every film I make that puts characters in jeopardy is me purging my own fears, sadly only to re-engage with them shortly after the release of the picture. I'll never make enough films to purge them all."

"All those horrible, traumatic years I spent as a kid became what I draw from creatively today."

- Both quotes by Steven Spielberg

"Blaise Pascal called it the God-shaped hole. Everyone's got one but some are blacker and wider than others. It's a feeling of being abandoned, cut adrift in space and time."
- Bono
All the films I write are centered on outcasts and either the fears or dreams I had when I was growing up. I'm currently working on a werewolf film with my "academy award father's son" friend that we're working hard at getting developed and sold which is all formulated from the dark side of me that I fear getting out and that I've seen before. Also an adoptee film about feeling like your birth parents are really aliens, explaining the feeling for never being human. All have duality due to the kind of masked life I've led.

In the end, writing is a job for the broken hearted and the survivor. It's a way to reach an audience and a way to help try to cure yourself. And if you work hard enough at it and are willing to get your voice out to the people - you'll win in the end.

Any ways around it, the broken are also more likely to get ahead - rejected by my birth parents (the hardest kind of rejection a guy can have), rejected by my peers most of my life, etc. so rejection of common place "no's" here and there while climbing up the ladder - well, I've already had boot camp to fight the war.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Being a writer (I'm a screenwriter) - May 18th 2009, 03:56 AM

Hey Josh, I hear ya on the writing thing. There have been times when a pen and comp book literally saved my life. Its truly amazing to hear what you've gone through, how you've taken all that and turned it into something that you can do for the rest of your life. I wish you luck on your journey of screenwriting.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Being a writer (I'm a screenwriter) - May 29th 2009, 10:26 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. Writing is the most amazing catharsis imaginable. And wow, an internship at Warner Brothers?! That's incredible!! I look forward to watching one of your movies someday.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread