TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

What next? - June 1st 2016, 08:36 PM

Hi guys, I haven't been active here in MONTHS, but I need some serious help.

I'm finishing my current college degree this month (Have to retake one last exam I'm practicing for and then some Dutch exams I probably will pass), and then, I don't know what to do next.

I can study further on a higher level. It will further my chances of getting a job in the future, but I probably will live at least 1-2 years without a free source of income which will be detrimental to my self esteem (Side jobs mostly interfere with balancing rest and school.) I am thinking about going to another school because the help and care that I need won't be met if I study further in the school I am in now, but traveling is an issue. My current school isn't really allowed to reject me continuing, but my teachers say that studying further isn't too viable because I lack oversight. I do have the capacity to study further though.

The second option is to find work with my current degree. I have already been searching for jobs on job sites like indeed that would accept my degree if I pass, there are few and far in-between. I don't have a drivers license and I don't know if I will take driving lessons because I'm not good at looking out at roads.

The third option is to apply for disability. I have had a stroke at birth what gave me ABI (Acquired Brain Injury) what hinders my ability to plan/organize, gives me problems with maintaining friendships and I am quite forgetful at times, I don't have much strength in my hands either. The catch with that is that I am settling for less and I don't know how I could save for a house/ring (I have a girlfriend for over a year now). I will get help with getting a job (In my country, you have to work even if you are on welfare to prevent people from benefiting too much. Most people get help with getting a job though.) and to be honest, I am sick of school at times. It's not that I don't want to learn, but I don't like the immaturity peers probably will have (Not that it won't be that way when at work, but at least I will be getting paid) and the stress school brings. I have been told 'you cannot do this' for almost all of my life, but here I am, about to get a mid-level college degree. Sometimes I think it's time to hang my academic boots up so to speak.

I still ask myself if studying will pay my future and how long it will take when (Or even if) I'll get a job. Sometimes I think being on disability is an inevitability, but sometimes I think I will get a job one day.

Here's a kind of bonus issue or something. (You can ignore this) Although I like the IT business (What I'm currently studying), but somehow, I have aspirations in a different field. I have aspirations to become a pro wrestling commentator as that is my dream job. I watch that sport for almost a decade, it helped me put a smile on my face on even the lowest of moments and I want to contribute in that business a whole lot more than in IT. I know this might be a pipe dream as there's not many chances in that branche, but there's still a chance of maybe. Again, you can choose to ignore this.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: What next? - June 1st 2016, 09:08 PM

Hey there, believe it or not, I'm wrestling with a similar situation. If your dream is possible, then it's worth looking into, even if it never happens, but for practicality purposes you'll need a career that's more realistic. If you're sick of school and/or don't like what you're studying, then continuing on with it doesn't make much sense unless finding a job would be near impossible without it. Which ever option you choose make sure you do it for the right reasons, there are immature people everywhere so if you want to continue with school, don't let that stop you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: What next? - June 3rd 2016, 12:05 AM

Ignore people who tell you that you cannot do something if you have reason to believe otherwise. If you have little problem understanding material, then you can get a degree. As long as you aren't having major problems with learning, you have the capacity. You just have to be aware of your abilities and choose your field accordingly.

Now what I want you to do is research how easy it is to get a job in the field that you want. A lot of people are told "follow your passion"--total bullshit- that just leads to a lot of people graduating college with useless degrees. You aren't born with a passion or interest--it is something that you acquire. You can change it if that field has no job prospects. You should get a degree in something fairly general- so that it applies to a lot of things (business,etc).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: What next? - June 5th 2016, 11:51 AM

It might be helpful to make a list of pros and cons for each of your options. It will at least give you an overview over everything.
As for your degree... actually I think if you got a halfway decend degree, then you will find a job! I'm sure of it. You can go further but only if you want. It's hard to study for something that you don't like (speaking from experience). If you don't like the subjects, don't like the people, honestly I don't think there is a point to torture yourself with it. But that's just my oppinion.
As for your dream, why not look into the options available to you to maybe reach it? Not saying to go for it, but at least look into it and maybe do it as a hobby or something.
I can only tell you what I'm doing as I also got a dream that's really hard (some say impossible) to reach. I practice it as a hobby and study for another job that's ok. Not my dream job but ok. Someday I might reach my dream as I'm still working on it, but if I don't I'll still be ok.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread