TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Lightbulb Taking a gap year? - June 11th 2016, 03:37 PM

Hey there, so long story short I just feel like I've never really fit into the education system... I've always either gotten good grades or okay grades. I do the minimum work to get by, but I rarely enjoy it. I'm currently finishing my junior year in High School, so I have to start thinking about future plans, which I have.
So anyways, I've always been passionate about art (drawing, illustration, etc.) and until recently I was completely set on going to an art school in the UK (I'm currently living in France, have been for my whole life, however both my parents are british and I'm more comfortable talking in English than French). I did a ton of research and watched a ton of different videos about various art schools, I know which ones I'm interested in going to, however a couple of weeks ago I started thinking about taking a gap year, and the more I think about it the more it feels right.
I want to just be thrown into the world and be more independent, do volunteer work, really contribute and help rather than be taught. I was just wondering what you all think of gap years, if you plan on taking one, if you've taken one, tips to go about travelling, etc.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Taking a gap year? - June 11th 2016, 04:25 PM

Sadly, I am not taking a gap year.
But I know plenty of people who did. This fella who was 2-3 years older than me, went backpacking across Europe. He earned cash by doing odd jobs here and there. He told me it really helped him, because he got some work experience, and a lot of life changing experience. But he said it isn't for everyone because, (a) it is unsafe, (b) Getting back to studying is a bit hard.
I personally feel a gap year is a good idea.If you want to study art, a gap year may be helpful, because you can visit places, or do something to get inspired, and thereby do better at art.
Sorry was a bit rambly. But just my two cents.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Taking a gap year? - June 11th 2016, 05:36 PM

I did not take a gap year between high school and college, nor between college and grad school, and I regret it. I should have taken some time between college and grad school in particular. I would have gotten more experience, gotten myself more financially stable, and probably gotten married during that time instead of basically treading water to survive while also trying to manage what's left of a savings account and a relationship. Traveling is also a great use of a gap year.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Taking a gap year? - June 11th 2016, 09:14 PM

I think gap years can be beneficial if you have a plan....otherwise, it's really easy to fall into a spiral of despair I've currently taken time out as I finished my degree but didn't feel mentally stable enough to do postgrad straight away.

As for travelling, doing it by yourself can be a challenge, particularly depending on where you go. It might be helpful to look at agencies and such that run gap year volunteering programs as it can make arranging travel and work easier and you get to meet new people too.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Taking a gap year? - June 11th 2016, 11:25 PM

I wanted to take a gap year after I finished high school, mainly cause I had no idea what to do with my life. Well, I had some plans, but I never got a chance. My father forced me to either go to school or go to work, or he wanted to kick me out.

So I was stuck with yet another school I didnt give a toss about for two years.

For such a gap year - why not? Especially if you've got more or less crystallized plans about what direction you want to go.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Taking a gap year? - June 12th 2016, 04:23 PM

I think it can be good to take a break and experience learning outside of the educational system for a while. As others have said do have a plan, and commit to yourself that (unless you don't want to right now, or something majorly changes) you will go back to school after it's done.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Taking a gap year? - June 13th 2016, 10:31 PM

I am currently in sort of the same situation. My dad wants me to go to university but I plan to take sort of a gap year next year, then go to university after that. If you want to go and have a good plan, do it. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you think is right for you. You know yourself better than anyone else. It's highly beneficial if you do it right. Good luck.

Closed Thread