TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
K.Clara Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: K. S. Clara

Unhappy I know what i want to do, but im still confused - July 2nd 2016, 02:55 PM

I always knew i was going to be an artist or writer (or at least something of that nature) ever since i was seven. Its been eight years, and I've done a lot of planning for it, mostly because of high school. I've researched so many different places to go, but i still feel like i never got anywhere. I tried listing top schools but the list keeps growing and changing. I got to Pratt, RISD, Art center college, and those three stayed for a long time. But i don't just want to be a artist (visual development/storyboard artist), i want to be a writer too. i wasn't sure if an art school would be the best place to get a degree for both art and writing (at the same time). My general plan was to to go to college get a degree in something like illustration and english/lit. and either work as a storyboard artist and publish books, or an editor and freelance artist. i just wanted to have a degree that could prepare me for both fields. I've done research but i don't think i'm looking in the right places because i never seem to find a college that offers a double major in something like illustration and english/lit.. I don't think i've been looking in the right places, maybe i've already seen a college that offers it and i just skipped over it or something but i'm so tired of looking. If don't find anything then ill probably end up joining the military (not for long) going to college then, with a degree in english or journalism. That has always been my 'if all else fails plan', to just get out of my current living situation, which isn't bad looking on the outside but is suffocating when you really look at it. i'm just confused and tired of everything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I know what i want to do, but im still confused - July 2nd 2016, 03:47 PM

Hello and welcome

As long as a college offers both degrees, you can double major in any combination , they don't have to have a specific program that already combines them. I would look at liberal arts colleges. My Alma mater offers several art degrees and English and/or creative writing. You might also want to consider some business courses so when you become an artist or author, or both you have an idea of how the business side of things work.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I know what i want to do, but im still confused - July 3rd 2016, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure how the education system works in your area, but I just wanted to say that you don't need a degree (or even a degree related to English) to be a writer. A few authors that I have been lucky enough to talk to either don't have degrees, or they do, but it's not related directly to English or literature.

When choosing a course, though you want to plan for your future, it's best to choose something that you are really interested in and want to know more about. If you have a careers teacher, you can always talk to them and see what they suggest too.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread