TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Angry Frustrated as heck - July 5th 2016, 03:31 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm extremely frustrated, i finished school in 2012 and it's been 4 years now, that I do not have a job. I'm 21 years old and I apply for 140 jobs per fortnight, that's 70 jobs per week. I don't ever get call backs or any interviews. No one is giving me a fucking chance. My applications for TAFE and university were both rejected. I'm so fucking angry. Nothing is going right at all.

I volunteer at an animal shelter once a week, and I really do enjoy it but I would love to have a paying job. I want to become a vet but I can't do that because my applications for university keep rejecting. I've been rejected 4 times in 2.5 years.

I honestly can't see myself in the next 5 or 10 years.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

Last edited by MorbidDaisies; July 5th 2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Extra information

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Frustrated as heck - July 5th 2016, 07:04 PM

I'm really sorry to hear this! I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating and disheartening this must be for you.

I think it's a good time to reflect on what's going on, and find out how you can improve your chances for the future. What kind of jobs have you been applying for? It may be that employers feel you don't have enough experience in certain areas, so perhaps consider trying to get different volunteering opportunities. Also, try asking friends and family if they know of any jobs going.

When it comes to applications (and interviews) it can be good to use a method called STAR- that is situation, task, action, result. Basically, if the questions are asking for skills, or what you have to offer, recall a situation where you show your skills and how you problem solved/worked in a team/showed leadership etc. This proves your skills rather than just writing a long list of skills.

When it comes to university, make sure you meet the requirements. If you need to get better grades, try to find out if you can resit some exams. Keep your application relevant to the course too. It's awesome that you want to be a vet, and great that you volunteer at an animal shelter. Perhaps you can shadow a vet at the shelter? Or see if you can get some work experience at a vets? Places for university can be really competitive, so you need to make sure that you shine your best and show off what you've done, learnt from experience, and skills that you have gained, as well as how these things would benefit you as a vet.

Lastly, if you get rejected again, either from university or from a job, ask if you can have feedback. Not all will give you feedback, but it can really help knowing what you need to improve on.

Hope this helps a bit

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Frustrated as heck - July 5th 2016, 07:19 PM

Hi there,

I agree with everything the above poster recommended as well! Finding a job can be daunting and even more frustrating when you've been trying for years. I think it's a great idea to reflect on the type of jobs, your resumes, and how your interviews have gone in these. Sometimes looking back and trying to pin point where are strengths and weaknesses lie is a great place to start.

For me when I'm rejected for a job position or something similar I always keep a copy of my resume or application. It's easier if it's online but if it's an offline application try writing it up in a word document or something similar.

I saw that you're from Australia and I don't know if they use anything like Linked in at all, but it's something I highly recommend looking into or creating a personal site/page for yourself with experience and stuff like that. I know here in the US, it can make a huge difference!

I also want to recommend looking into interview workshops or job workshops. I recently attended one that was 4 weeks long, and went over skills like resume building, what to say what not to say, how to dress for an interview and conversational skills. A library or online is a great place to look plus a lot of these workshops can be online or free!

I hope this helps, good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Frustrated as heck - July 13th 2016, 01:21 AM

Are there junior college equivalents in Australia? In the US, a lot of people will take a handful of classes and then transfer to a larger university. It helps to show that you are responsible if you did not have good marks during high school.

Have someone go over your application with you. Look at your resume. Sometimes you can try to get your friends to be an "in" for you. Also, what type of jobs are you applying for? At this point, I would apply to any and all jobs.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Frustrated as heck - July 13th 2016, 02:46 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm currently with an organisation, where they work alongside with me. They help me with my resume, cover letters, etc. I attend interview/ workshops daily. As of yesterday, I've applied for over 3500 jobs. I apply for all sorts of jobs, admin, call centre even though I'm deaf , office works, retail, car shops, a lot of places.

I update my resume and cover letter daily. I have no other ideas how to get a job

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Frustrated as heck - July 16th 2016, 12:25 AM

It's good that you're with an organization, but I guess it's kind of a bummer that you're still getting declined and unfortunately with the way the economy is, it just is like that.

Do you ever go into the places where you apply and ask about your application, or call them back after you've applied a few days afterwards? I know that can sometimes help too!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Frustrated as heck - July 17th 2016, 07:19 PM

I am not in the same situation, but somewhat similar. I am going to grad school and still just hoping I will get a job after graduation. I couldnt even find a decent job I was qualified to even apply to after college grad...It is frustrating when life just sort of stops before it even begins. But you are doing a good thing by applying to jobs everyday rather than just giving up.

Degrees are a dime a dozen these days, at least here in the US. You cant really get a career job without some formal post highschool education. If you are getting rejected from universities, I would make sure to improve your chances by taking classes as a nondegree student and getting solid recommendations-that is how I got to grad school in a much different field than I went to college in(despite getting rejected when I applied right out of college). Proving you can do well in the courses will help sway their decision to let you in.

Closed Thread