TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xabir Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Abroad Studies - August 14th 2016, 09:08 AM

Hi

Kindly advise as am and have been stressed for months on end.
Am 28 of age leaving in Kenya but my aunt want me to go to Norway to study masters, I feel like this will take so much time as it it three years, 1 year language and 2 years master,and one more thing is that job isn't guaranteed. Currently am working hear in Kenya the job is not so good but my plans are to venture into business, I feel like if I go there I might not venture into business anytime soon.
I also fear coming back and starting again to look for work in my 30s.

I also don't want to let this opportunity go as I might not get is again.

Hi anybody kindly advice

Last edited by Celyn; August 14th 2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Merging two posts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Abroad Studies - August 14th 2016, 10:53 AM

At first I had similar worries to you in that I feared how long a degree would take and how old I would be by the end of it... but I think the better thing to do in this situation is to forget how old you are now, and how old you will be once you complete your degree, but to focus on the journey instead.

I think it's great that your aunt wants you to go study in Norway. I don't know if you've ever been abroad before but if you haven't, enjoy it. You'll be in a completely new country surrounded by thousands of people from an entirely different culture and there are so many things you could learn from the experience of being there.

If you do decide to apply for university in Norway, you could start learning the language even before you arrive to help prepare yourself so whatever language studies and examinations you have to do won't be so bad and it may even help to free up a lot of your time to do other things in your first year whilst you're there too.

You're right there is no guarantee in a job at the end of your degree, but bear in mind you are studying in an entirely different country and will have been learning a new language. This means you could consider looking for jobs not only in Kenya but also Norway. If your language skills are good enough you could initially get a job as a translator or work in a Kenyan-Norwegian form of business. There's a lot of potential in studying abroad because you gain a lot of skills you can't in your own country and these skills gained are invaluable to employers.

Life is for living, not for losing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread