TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Is it worth getting a job? - August 21st 2016, 03:07 AM

I'm a second year college student and I've never had a real "job" before. I've had little odd jobs here and there but nothing like retail or anything. With the Halloween season coming up I'd really love to have a seasonal job at a Spirit Halloween possibly on the weekends. I'm just wondering with school and my major, should I do it?

I'm a theatre major but not currently in any shows. I do however have to put in 50 hours of theatre related work per semester meaning I have to work in some capacity on a show, be it building sets or helping backstage. I'm taking a class that involves a ton of writing and papers plus acting classes and gen eds. I live on campus but usually go home on weekends. I have Monday's off this semester and get out at noon on Fridays. I don't drive or have a car but I do have ways via rides or public transport.

The job would only be seasonal, from early September to probably early November. They said it's flexible work schedule's but I'm not sure how far that offer extends.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to start working with my conditions. Would I be too stressed? Is this piling too much too soon? What if conflicts keep arising and I get fired? That would look bad for any other future jobs I apply for. Thanks in advance!

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it worth getting a job? - August 21st 2016, 04:30 AM

I don't know your personal capacity for stress. I would personally be overwhelmed handling college and college related work requirements, but that's not to say it's impossible to do for someone who is not me.

The best way to find out how flexible they actually are is to call the specific store you wish to work at or email their human resources department.

If conflicts keep arising and you get fired, then take it as a learning experience. As far as I'm aware there isn't a job related "permanent record." What your future employers know about your work history depends on what you put on your resume/cover letter and you are not required to list any unfavorable or degrading job experiences.

As for it being worth it, that depends. Do you need an extra source of money at the moment? I'm not sure retail experience will give you any leverage in the theatrical workplace, but the people skills involved in retail are always a plus. Being able to save money for future investments or just as an emergency fund is also good. Thinking about the school workload you already have, do you typically do your writing/paper assignments and/or theater related work on the weekends? If so, would you be able to do some of those related tasks during the week in addition to the regular courses and tasks you do at that time? You should to take into account how a job in addition to what you already have to do will affect your mental and physical well-being, as well. Does what you currently do during a semester at college tend to stress you out to where you feel too stressed (besides final exams)? And take into account if you have any mental illnesses, such as depression. Mental illness can make having a job a lot harder on a person.

Sorry that was a lot of things to consider, but I think they're all worth putting a bit of thought into. And ultimately if you start the job and find it too stressful, you can go the professional route and put in a two-weeks notice for resigning from the job. That way you cover all your marks and even if a future employer did see that they would see you resigned professionally instead of simply quitting or not showing up anymore.

Best of luck with everything!

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is it worth getting a job? - August 21st 2016, 05:10 AM

I may be biased, but it definitely don't sound like you'd be too stressed. I'm going into my senior year of college, and almost everyone I know has had to work to help pay for school. Recently I was going to school, interning, and working two jobs and it was still do-able. You'd really be surprised, working part time and going to school full time can still leave you with free time, especially if you were to only work weekends (however I have to warn you it's unlikely you'd be hired if that's what you required.) I think you should go for it, though. You can always quit if you decide it's not the right choice for you, however always make sure you wait a few weeks after starting a new job to make that decision because often times it's stressful to start learning what to do at a new job but that goes away. Also, having a job in college gives you experience to put on your resume and that will give you an edge when you graduate. Since a lot of college students are also working, it's a good idea for you to also have some experience as well. I've definitely had more luck getting job inetrviews just from having experience on my resume in the workplace whether it was related or not.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Is it worth getting a job? - August 21st 2016, 05:50 PM

Hey there,
You say 50 hours of theater related work. Could it be paid work? I ask because I did my work study with the theater department and I was pretty much the only non-theatre major there. But I do know those who qualified for work study were allowed to make their theater related work requirements into the paid work study. In other words, it saves a lot of time and you get paid. I think you can look into that, if you're interested. It may cross over in your school too. But like the others said, your schedule does sound loaded this semester. Then again each person is different.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is it worth getting a job? - August 22nd 2016, 11:58 AM

Hey there,

I would say that this depends entirely on how you handle stress. For me, having to complete fifty hours of theatre work, other school related requirements and then working at a job wouldn't be do-able. There are people who can manage because they don't have issues with stress exacerbating their mental health problems. So, I think you should weigh how you have handled past semesters and the stress and go from there.

If you think that you could handle it then give it a shot and see what happens. If you end up not being able to handle it all that well it would be 1) only for a few short months and 2) it would be entirely okay to put in a two weeks notice.

I hope that this helped.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Re: Is it worth getting a job? - August 24th 2016, 11:11 PM

Thanks for helping out guys! I'm leaning a little toward trying for it and maybe just working weekends and Monday during the day (if I can) because most theatre stuff happens around evening/night. I also tend to do my work later in the evening or night. And not really on weekends if I don't have to. Although with this huge paper I'm going to end up writing for one class I might have to start school work on weekends. I just have to manage my time better.

For the 50 hours, it's non paid work unfortunately. I need to get 25 "points" but 1 point is worth 2 hours of work so in total I need 50 hours of working on a show in some capacity per semester. Getting points is kinda like a game of hungry hungry hippos, there are always opportunists but everyone's going for them at the same time since we all need them.

Thanks again for the help! I'm going to talk to some people who took the classes I am now and see if the workload is as bad as I assume. It's mainly that that I'm worried about.

Savvy?

Closed Thread