TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lostteen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Is education that important to make money - September 8th 2016, 04:16 PM

My teachers always say that education is important to make money but what if you don't like what you are doing? I find I will be miserable if I do a job that I hate. What do you think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 8th 2016, 04:25 PM

Hey there and welcome

I think it depends what you want to do. In general, more education equals more money, but not always. There are certain fields that require a lot of education and you don't end up making that much, but if that's what you want to do, then it's worth it. And the opposite can also be true. Everybody has a bad job story. In a perfect world everyone would love every job they had, but that's not always the case. It doesn't mean you should do something you hate because of money or that you'll be stuck in bad jobs forever.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 8th 2016, 06:04 PM

In general, yeah I think college graduates tend to make more money. However, there are other ways you can make more money. For example, you could be an apprentice or work your way up a job that doesn't require a degree. I honestly feel like you're more likely to end up hating entry level non-degree jobs. While it isn't good to have a job you hate and makes you miserable, sometimes it's what you have to do in order to survive. There are SO many careers that can come from different degrees, I think you should try to talk to a counselor at your school about possible college majors that you WOULD enjoy.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 8th 2016, 06:41 PM

Hey there and welcome to TeenHelp!

In theory, the higher qualifications you have, the more likely you are to get a good paying job. However, this isn't always the case as even graduates can struggle with getting a job and making money!

And at the opposite end of things, even with loads of qualifications, it is still possible to end up in a job that you don't like.

My advice would be to do something that you are interested in and that you think you'll like, even if that means you might not earn a lot. Happiness is always worth more than money (in my books anyway!) And as it's been said, if you are unsure of what you want to do, you can always speak to a teacher or careers advisor.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 9th 2016, 11:42 PM

Short term, you probably don't make much more money with fewer years of education. A lot of young people get blinded by that because they're thinking about those sorts of jobs. But the reality is that more education does lead to higher pay - if not right away, definitely after a few years. Like my earning potential is much higher than those who never attended university even if I do not stay in my current career trajectory. The one catch is that a lot of people end up with so much debt from school and that's problematic early on but it goes away after a bit.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 12th 2016, 05:07 PM

Hi there,

When I was your age, I didn't want to know what I wanted to do with my life. So once I graduated high school I went and got a job at minimum wage. After going through a couple jobs all at minimum age, I decided I wanted to go back to school. I found it hard to get back into the groove of things. Now that I have graduated I have a well paying job and great benefits. I am happy with where I am right now. I make almost double that I was making when I was working for minimum wage.

I hope you decide what you want to do
PM me if you need anything else

Brittany

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 12th 2016, 09:37 PM

I to Brittany to honed on something really, really important, with education, you're more likely to get jobs with benefits as opposed to pure cash so the health insurance and other things make that job a lot more secure than other jobs you might get. It makes a huge difference.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 13th 2016, 01:52 PM

It very much depends. In order to reliably get employed, having a degree is very useful, but, sadly in no way guarantees you'll get a job quickly.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Is education that important to make money - September 14th 2016, 08:35 PM

Since the OP was asking about correlation of money and a degree: yes, it matters.

Source: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

In terms of happiness, there's no reason you can't get a degree in something you love to do something you love. If that field is saturated or has low employment figures, you'll just have to work harder, make the right connections, and take the right internships. However, may I suggest that perhaps doing something you love will probably become mundane and boring because now you HAVE to do it in order to make a living? I suggest, rather, something you enjoy and that's stable that you wouldn't MIND doing for 8-10 hrs/day, 5 days a week. Your taste, hobbies, likes and dislikes will change through the years. So, take that into consideration. I suppose it's really dependent on WHAT you love that you can make a living out of.

Try going to indeed.com and BLS.gov to search what people make in a field that you're interested and to check employment rates/how many positions are available in that field and whether it's expected to grow or not.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread