TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

new opportunities coming to light - September 22nd 2016, 07:36 PM

I have a few options for finding a job. I just have to fix my bank account which I'm working on at the moment. But I wanted to share the three options I have at the moment.

1. Tutoring my friend one hour a week-I know I spoke about not wanting to do this for 2 friends. But the second friend in that thread seems like I can maybe tutor her for 1 hour a week. We practiced math together on the train ride home and I think I can tutor her 1 hour a week. The first friend is still out of the question because she was requesting unreasonable things. Also the second friend offered to pay me $10/hour which is a good amount but I feel weird taking money from a friend. I'm having a hard time making a decision.
2. I've joined a website for sitters and nannies, back in 2013. Last year I "won" a premium membership which lasts a year. I think the year will expire in October. But basically, I never actually applied for a job from there. I would just skim through the job board. I'm thinking of doing a few gigs here and there, just those one-time jobs until I build reviews. I also want to save up money for CPR and first-aid certifications.
3. This is the one that has my hopes up but I'm trying to not expect anything because that leads to disappointment. But the friend mentioned above, the one I might tutor, her mom knows I'm trying to find a job and been passing along info when she can. She gave me a few but I couldn't do those for one reason or another. But last night she gave me a paper with a bunch of addresses. It is a social service agency that does different things, one of them is job help. I will need to work with my therapist though because it's for people with a mental health diagnosis and I think my therapist would have to write some kind of letter, I'm not sure. I would have to call. I've never really done it in this way before but I'm told by my friend's mom that the agency will provide support even after I get a job. I would be meeting up and like reporting back how it's going and stuff. And I hope that will help because I think my previous jobs, I felt so stressed out and lost and couldn't really speak to the boss because she was well-bossy. :P and I didnt feel like I can approach her.

But also on the paper, there was something there about housing services and I'm interested in that too because I'm trying to move out so badly and they have supportive housing.

So I have some things going for me and I'm scared but I'm also trying to make this work.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: new opportunities coming to light - September 24th 2016, 06:16 AM

I'm glad to hear you have some good things in the works! Perhaps you can bring the paper that your friends mother gave you to your next session and go over it with your therapist to see if they can give you any more insight on what it all entails and help you determine whether or not it's the best fit for you. Depending on the type of job you get through them, you might even be able to keep tutoring your friend and pick up some side work here and there through the caregiving site you joined.

I really hope it all works out for you.

Best wishes,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: new opportunities coming to light - September 24th 2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernweh. View Post
I'm glad to hear you have some good things in the works! Perhaps you can bring the paper that your friends mother gave you to your next session and go over it with your therapist to see if they can give you any more insight on what it all entails and help you determine whether or not it's the best fit for you. Depending on the type of job you get through them, you might even be able to keep tutoring your friend and pick up some side work here and there through the caregiving site you joined.

I really hope it all works out for you.

Best wishes,
Sammi
Hi Sammi, thank you so much
I spoke to my therapist about it yesterday during the session. He didn't seem to know about it but asked me if I called the agency yet, which I didn't. He also gave me contact info regarding job services within the youth center I go to for counseling. I guess I assumed they couldn't help me because I technically aged out but have an extension. But he told me the name I can ask to speak to which I will do on monday .
One thing I'm also working on is fixing my bank account. Right now my debit card doesn't work and I'm told my account is closed until I get this new card with a chip. Which was supposed to come in the mail. Also I have to speak to my father because he hasn't been transparent with me about what he is doing with my money (he has parent access) and I'm scared if

Closed Thread