TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
eeba Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Esmé

need to motivate myself - October 5th 2016, 02:56 AM

Hello!
Do you guys have any tips on motivating myself to do schoolwork/other things I need to work on? I get easily distracted and like to procrastinate, and also have some other emotional things going on right now, which is no excuse but it sometimes makes it harder to focus (and I have some trouble focusing already anyway).
Thanks so much!!

"All will be well when the day is done"
-Peter, Paul and Mary <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: need to motivate myself - October 5th 2016, 06:48 PM

Sometimes it isn't about motivation. I've had to force myself to get things done many times despite being totally unmotivated and not caring.

One thing I've done is set a timer and be like "ok this has to get done, so I'll work on it for 30 minutes with no tv, no books etc, only music, and then I can take a break for a bit, like 15 minutes, and then go back to work for 45 minutes". I found that trying to inspire myself to care about something that I really just didn't give a fuck about wasn't really

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: need to motivate myself - October 5th 2016, 07:03 PM

Someone told me once that the best way to motivate yourself is just to do it. Procrastination is a huge problem for me too, so I tend to turn off any music (unless you work well with it, then go ahead and keep it on!), if I can, I stick to paper based work...so print off any reading or work sheets, and use a highlighter to engage yoursel with what you're doing. Try and avoid looking at your phone, too! One of my best teachers, who herself motivated me to believe in myself and work hard, told me that when you look at your phone it takes you another 10 minutes to then regain concentration.

Take breaks, too. Reward yourself by aiming to get a certain amount done before you take a break and treat yourself to a cup of tea, a sweet or another treat. It's something to look forward to, and if you stick to your targets, you'll get into the habit of working hard to achieve them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: need to motivate myself - October 5th 2016, 07:35 PM

Keeping your phone out of sight is really important, there have been studies that it needs to be out of the room to help stop procrastination. Also making lists of things you need to do in order of priority is something I find really helpful, with little tick boxes so you feel you've completed something when you do it. Regular breaks are really important, and try rewarding yourself after you've done work, like 'if I do half an hour of work, I can go on social media for ten minutes' or something like that

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: need to motivate myself - October 8th 2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeba View Post
Hello!
Do you guys have any tips on motivating myself to do schoolwork/other things I need to work on? I get easily distracted and like to procrastinate, and also have some other emotional things going on right now, which is no excuse but it sometimes makes it harder to focus (and I have some trouble focusing already anyway).
Thanks so much!!
Hey eeba,

The problem with motivation is that it runs out. Even if it's studying something you enjoy. For me, I've found that designating a set timeframe for school work every day with no exceptions is typically what works. Re-adjusting your mindset also works.

I find, at least for myself, that I try to compare myself to others, how they are academically, or how well they understand the material. Whenever I focus on this, it's very hard to study. If you can find away to shift the focus on learning for the sake of learning for yourself, you'll find it easier to study.

For the record, I have anxiety and depression, so I understand things getting in the way. When I stress/get anxious my body shuts down and I can't focus, therefore I don't want to study. The way I think of it, is at least if I designate time each day, I can't say I didn't try. Even if I have a mental block that day, I figure studying is better than not.

There's really nothing you can do to get "motivated." It simply comes down to discipline. Think of it this way, whenever someone is learning a new instrument rarely do you find someone who enjoys playing the same scales/keys/notes over, and over, and over, and over, and over, again every single day. But practice is necessary to become the next Mozart (bad analogy but you catch my drift). Studying is practice. That's all there is to it. It's not enjoyable. You just gotta buckle down and do it.

Lastly, in terms of procrastination, the only way to stop procrastination is to just stop procrastinating. Once you start, it'll get easier.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eeba Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Esmé

Re: need to motivate myself - October 8th 2016, 08:36 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for the helpful advice!!
I am working on it, it's going to take me a while I'm sure. But you've all been very helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to write in, thanks again!

P.S. If your username is a reference to The Catcher in the Rye, I love love love love that book, just had to say that.

"All will be well when the day is done"
-Peter, Paul and Mary <3

Closed Thread