TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

Post Is my report card bad? - October 10th 2016, 09:14 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm in 9th grade right now. Unfortunately, this school year so far has been a struggle for me. We just started in the middle of August, yet I already feel stressed because of the workload and the difficulty of the stuff we're taking. Anyways, these are my grades:

PE: A
History: A-
Math: C-
English: A
Spanish: B-
Biology: B
Health: B+

My GPA is 3.67, and I had been planning to have a high-school GPA of 4.0 since 8th grade, its what I really wanted.

I feel like I'm failing, I'm so close to having a D in math and it's upsetting me. I also feel like its harder for me to grasp concepts in my classes, I don't understand new things nearly as quick as other students. I feel stupid. Is this a bad report card?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tabitha04 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tabitha

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 10th 2016, 09:21 PM

If you're putting in your best effort, that's all that matters! School is not easy for everyone. You sound like someone that has high expectations for yourself. This is good, but don't push yourself too hard! When I was in 10th grade, I got a D in Geometry. I felt bad, but that was also with tutoring and extra help. In the end, it wasn't something I was going to understand so I focused on the subjects I could do really well in. You're in a transition state right now, and it may take you some time to adjust. You are learning about yourself and how you best learn.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 10th 2016, 09:37 PM

Hey!

I'm sorry it's not working out like you hoped it would, but honestly, you're doing just fine. It's funny, these are almost exactly what my grades were last year (good in everything except math). Even though my grades weren't as high as I wanted them, I still took two AP classes and did really well, and I'm doing well in IB this year. Getting a 4.0 would be awesome, but it's just not always realistic and worth the stress, especially not your freshmen year. This is a year for you to get used to being in high school and adjust to the classes, and this is only your first quarter (I'm guessing here, I'm not sure if every school splits it up by quarters or where in the year you are). In the long run, this won't hurt you.

It's totally okay that you take a little longer to learn new things. Just because you're slower doesn't mean you're not as smart as everyone else. If you go in for extra help with your teachers in the classes that you're not doing well in, or classes you think you could do better in, that might help too. Like Tabitha said, though, I would focus on subjects you do well in. In the future (if you're not already doing this), it might be a good idea to challenge yourself with honors English or History and take easier math classes.

Feel free to message me with any questions, or if you just want to talk I've been in almost this exact same position and I'd be happy to chat about how it turned out for me (I'm a junior now)!

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 10th 2016, 09:39 PM

These are actually really good, like said above, you're in transition, some people struggle when they first get to high school, but once they get the hang of it, it gets easier. Most people are not amazing in every subject, there's usually one or two that give you trouble and as long as you do the best you can, that's all anyone can ask of you.

It's fine to have high expectations of yourself, but it becomes a problem when there's so much pressure to be perfect or achieve a certain GPA number, that it causes unnecessary stress or you feel like a complete failure when you just miss getting it. Honestly, once you get to college, your high school GPA won't matter. Do the best you can and try not to obsess about a certain standard.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 10th 2016, 09:42 PM

Tabitha has a good point here.

I also wanted to mention that you can take AP courses or other honor courses in maybe History or whichever subject you feel you're strong in. In my high school, AP courses was put in as a 104 into your GPA, even though an A in our school averaged as a 95.

But what really matters is that you're doing your very best. School is hard for a lot of us. And if there was advice I could have told my younger self, it would be that school isn't the only kind of learning I should be looking out for because academics isn't everything. Social, emotional, moral, physical, expressive arts are all important aspects of our lives that school does not really focus on. Nowadays colleges claim to look for "creativity" in their applicants, which is annoying as well. Because now they're quantifying imaginative thinking.

A 3.67 GPA is still fantastic. If you're concerned about math, you can check to see if there's tutoring at your school. Otherwise there are online resources like Khan's academy, I heard is good. And Purple Math. I forget what else but depends on what kind of math, I can help you find resources.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 13th 2016, 02:44 AM

thanks everyone for your responses.
unfortunately i go to a special admissions, private school (its a lot like a charter school i guess) so there are no AP classes, sadly.

i read all of your responses and took them to heart, however, looking at the report card: would you say it is "good" or "bad"? what can i do to fix it?

what is the lowest GPA colleges are willing to accept?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 13th 2016, 02:49 AM

The minimum GPA most colleges will accept is a 2.5, some will admit conditionally with a 2.0, but most people do better than that. Higher is better, but you don't have to be perfect by any means. Other than getting help from tutors or your teachers for the things you know you struggle with and practice math, there isn't much you can do. The report card is good. I'd say it's probably above average.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 13th 2016, 04:23 PM

I'm not too sure on GPAs and the like as in England we don't use them, however looking at the grades I'd say its definitely a good report card! A's and B's in particular for most of your subjects is really good and you should be proud of those. Just keep working and as long as you do your best it will be good enough.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 14th 2016, 02:46 AM

Hey. I'm sorry that your grades are bringing you down. U set the same expectations as me and I didn't completely reach it either.
From a perspective of wheat her it is good or bad, I'd say that's pretty good. School is a different experience for everyone so it doesn't do any good to compare yourself to other students.

Some people find it more difficult and some are really good at it. Some of my friends can easily get straight A's and some of them are getting below a C. I'm right in the middle, mostly A's but sometimes a B and I have to work really hard for that. Also, it's still your first time in high school so I understand that ur making that transition point.

And plus, you can still get into great colleges. Just try not to get below a C and u should be fine. That is, unless u plan on going to some really top rated college like Standford or something. For that, u probably do need a 4.0 but it's not realistic for most people. You're doing great though, I believe in you. Also, grades aren't the only components on a college application so it should increase your chance of good colleges if u do volunteer work, sports and other extra curricular activity. Hope this helped.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 14th 2016, 05:12 PM

Your report card seems really good to me.

Have you considered a math tutor to get that grade up? I was like you and always had good grades, except in math.

I don't think you should sweat it too much especially if you're only in grade 9. Most college admission won't even give 2 craps about grade 9, as long as you keep your grades up through to grade 12. Take it from someone who's been there, done that, they only look at grade 12, maaayve grade 11 most of the time. You look like you're on the right track.

If you wan to do anything relating to math and science you'll need a higher math grade though, like at least in the B range. If you want things that aren't math or science such as sociology or something, then math won't matter so much but you should try to keep your grades at a 70% or higher for uni admissions and it's usually best to try to get in the habit now. I know where I live it's usually that you've got to have Englishman at 70% minimum and the 5-6 other grade 12 university-prep courses at at least 60%, most people need at least a 75% average higher, some programs need 80%+ amd others don't. I'm not American though so where I live people care less about GPA and more about percents but it adds up to the same idea. GPA matters more for grad school.

All that said, one so-so grade isn't going to make a big difference in the greater scheme of things. All the rest of your grades are really, really good.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; October 15th 2016 at 02:09 PM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Is my report card bad? - October 15th 2016, 06:27 AM

Couple of things mate,
Most Unis dont give a flying fuck about your grade 9 grades. I'm in a decent uni and my year 9 grades made NO difference at all. I had really awful year 9 grades, believe me.

I agree with Always* and say that a tutor may help you. I was an am crap at math, but I got a friend to tutor me and did decently well.
But your grades are looking great to me. If you are not reaching your goals, maybe consider that stress if messing it up for you. I used to have the same problem, where I didn't test well. So maybe take a deep breath and try to relax.

PM me if you wanna talk

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

Closed Thread