TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shaun Hellend

A levels/America - May 20th 2009, 02:26 PM

Okay so I cant find anything on google (Google is NOT my friend!) about this ..

basically If I have A levels in I.T, Geography and Buisness studies, what would they equate for in America? in terms of getting a career and such.
  Send a message via AIM to ShaunHellend Send a message via MSN to ShaunHellend  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: A levels/America - May 20th 2009, 02:43 PM

I tried to look for you. But I couldn't find anything as well. Your best bet is to go to a school councilor and talk to them about it.
But to be honest it just seems to depend on what kind of field you want to go in.
But if you have anything in business, which you have. It should be quite simple to find a career path or a career in America. If that is the route you wish to take.

But because UK schooling is much different than US, I don't really think there is an equivalent

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: A levels/America - May 20th 2009, 07:29 PM

What are your grades? US Universities have different boundaries as they do in the UK, but the A Level is a very good qualification and is generally regarded as a better qualification than those that US Students leaving high schools receive so you wouldn't have any problems studying in the US.

The main and very big problem is the cost. In the UK School fees cost maximum 3,200 per year because the government funds our education. Not so in the US, fees can be way over 30,000+ a year. Plus living costs. You also wouldn't be able to get a loan for this so you'd have to self fund this. In my opinion the cost compared to the cost here just makes it completely not worth it. Also when I was talking to my careers adviser I was told that a master's degree in America would be equivilant to an undergraduate degree from a UK school unless you went to ivy league (PRICEY). Most US students get scholarships but there are few to none avaliable for international students and there are much less places at univerities for international students. I really would advise staying in the UK for University!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: A levels/America - May 20th 2009, 07:36 PM

Yeah but I want to use my A levels to get a career ...Uni's not an option for me.

Theoretically, I'm looking at a B or an A in I.T, a D in Buisness studies and an E in geography ..not great I know.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Re: A levels/America - May 20th 2009, 07:38 PM

This is new to me I didn't even know there was a difference between America and other countries with their levels of qualifications

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A levels/America - May 20th 2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunHellend View Post
Yeah but I want to use my A levels to get a career ...Uni's not an option for me.

Theoretically, I'm looking at a B or an A in I.T, a D in Buisness studies and an E in geography ..not great I know.
Not great but could be worse. I would still recommend getting some working experience behind you, work for 3 years over here before starting to make connections in a field in America. To be honest you'd be looking at starting right at the bottom and work your way up. You should look into what kind of areas would be best with those A Levels, working in a big business would be good, though as I said you'd have to start right at the bottom. If you can get your step on the ladder in England in an international company it will be easier.

As someone else said, talk to your connextions adviser.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: A levels/America - May 22nd 2009, 04:20 PM

I've spoken to a few people, and most have said that a good way for getting a career in america is to start working for a company that can transfer you out there. Even try a 'work america' programme. They can give you a visa for a summer, winter or whole year, and you work out in america, and can get an opportunity of a longer visa, and more work there.
Of course, getting a visa and going straight over and starting small there is always an option too.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: A levels/America - May 23rd 2009, 06:53 PM

I know that British A-levels are roughly equivalent to Grade 12 education in Canada. Obviously, the better you do with your A-levels, the better you'll look on this side of the Ocean. You could certainly get into American or Canadian universities with those.
I don't know anything about working, but talking to your counsellor seems like a good idea...

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Re: A levels/America - May 24th 2009, 02:54 PM

Yeah, Colleges in the US are expensive. Even a community college is about $10,000 in US money for a year. That's why a lot of kids bust their ass in high school to get scholarships and if that doesn't work, they just hope and pray they can get approved for financial aid, which rarely happens because your parents have to meet a lame guideline and even if they're over $50 or something as little as that, then the child doesn't receive it and is screwed. I know when I lived there, a lot of my friends couldn't afford going to College, thus they have crappy jobs because of it. I would stay where you are, get a good job, save money up, and then if you still want to go to the US, you'd have some money under your belt while you figure things out. Can I ask why you even want to go to the US in the first place?

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A levels/America - May 28th 2009, 09:22 PM

^^ Hahahaha a very good question!!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: A levels/America - May 28th 2009, 09:26 PM

I want to move to america because I want to build a future with a girl I love very much
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Re: A levels/America - May 30th 2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunHellend View Post
I want to move to america because I want to build a future with a girl I love very much

Aww, love. :]

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

Closed Thread