TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Has ears for listening.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Studying Advice? - October 14th 2016, 08:20 AM

In high school,grade 11 and exams are soon. Already fallen behind and 3 years after the diagnosis of depression, can't seem to get though. Anyone been there and can help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: Studying Advice? - October 14th 2016, 10:21 AM

I'm definitely going through depression too now, and I think that you need to take some time off and kinda do things you enjoy... your studies are pretty much lagging due to your depression, and you need something to be happy about before things get better for you again.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Studying Advice? - October 14th 2016, 04:49 PM

Hi!

What has worked for me in the past in regards to studying is making sure I keep up on assignments and make a plan for what i'm going to study and when. It might help you to have a set schedule that way you are less likely to deviate from not doing it. Does that make sense? The way I do this is by having a planner and a big desk calendar with all of my assignments, tests, papers, and projects included.

I have also heard that reading notes about 20 minutes before bedtime can be super beneficial and it somewhat works for me too. It's something you can try!

I also recommend organizing notes, worksheets, and handouts in individual binders - such as a binder for each class or a folder as well. Keep notes, handouts and worksheets seperate so you know where you can go to look back on a topic you maybe need to go over again before an exam. Also you can divide them into chapters as well.

For example: I have my history binder set up with four different dividers - Notes, Typed Notes, Quizzes/Tests, and then Filler Paper located in the back.

For my notes and Typed notes I use post it notes to distinguish between chapters 1, 2, 3 etc. Having them organized makes it easier for me to look at a chapter a night when it get's close to finals or exams so you can easily read over them.

I also type up my notes after I take them by hand in class. According to many different studies and many of my instructors, hand writing notes helps you retain the information better, so that's what I do in class. Despite this, I still type them up when I get back home or to my room because I like to be able to go over them again, make sure they make sense, and by typing them up, you're reading and studying them. Two birds with one stone

You might also look into tutoring from another student who might know the subject better, or your instructor as well. They are there to help you and only want you to succeed. That's why they became teachers so do not be afraid to go to them for help when you're not sure how to study for something.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Studying Advice? - October 14th 2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy&Struggling141 View Post
In high school,grade 11 and exams are soon. Already fallen behind and 3 years after the diagnosis of depression, can't seem to get though. Anyone been there and can help?
Hey. I struggled with undiagnosed depression from elementary throughout highschool, until being diagnosed with clinical depression at age 21. For me, seeing a therapist, and having treatment (medicinally) was key to recovery. In fact, prior to being diagnosed, I was a straight 'A' student in college, but had to withdraw several times, even though I was nearing the end of a semester solely because of my depression. It was simply too overwhelming. Since being treated, I have never withdrawn from a class for personal reasons. It completely turned around my life.

If you are currently not seeing a therapist, and not seeking medical help via medicine prescribed by a doctor, it's what I recommend. Beyond that, I found, for me, the best time to study is immediately after school, and early in the morning. Early in the morning because I find that I'm not quite awake yet, so I don't become pre-occupied, and after school because I found that I'm already in the mindset of studying. As soon as I procrastinate or do something, like play a video game, it's over, and I won't study because it's too easy to ignore life via video games for me.

Lastly, see how far behind you are. Write out an action plan to get ahead. Then schedule time slots based on that action plan to get caught up. Then actually complete what you said you were going to do. It might suck getting caught up, but it's the nature of falling behind. Take action before you fall even more behind. Personally, I find that designating a set schedule M-F works best for me. For example, if you go to school until 3pm, try studying till 6pm mon-fri. Then Saturday, maybe take off. Then Sunday study from 9am-3pm or something like that. This way you know what you'll be doing each day of the week, and It'll be easier to manage an action plan because you'll have a schedule. Then, every night, keep yourself accountable. If you said you were going to complete something on x day and you didn't complete it, make note of it. Because it feels bad not to finish what you say you will, and it motivates you to stick to your goals.

I also want to say, while depression is no trivial thing, sometimes we can tell ourselves that we can't study because we're depressed. I noticed for me, this was a lie. I can study when I'm depressed, and in fact, sometimes, if not most times, it relieves my depression. It's just that depression can feel so weighty that you feel immobile, but once you start studying, take notice how you feel. I found I felt better, and sort of became addicted to studying.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread