TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unknowngirl1398 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Confused on what to pick - October 29th 2016, 12:29 AM

Hello everyone,
I have developed anxiety and depression throughout the last 3 years of my life for many reasons but one of the main reasons is because I do not know what to pick to study in college. It has been a struggle for me since i was young. I want to study medicine so bad because I love learning about human body, researching and I would love to save lives. Also I would like to get involved in research so I can find a way to help cancer patients. On the other hand, I love film and I would also like to dedicate myself to it. Since I was a 3 year-old I have been involved in art and it is very easy for me to create stories and direct videos (I received a film award at my school). Today I was thinking that in terms of studying I want medicine, in terms of happiness I want film but in terms of dedicating all my life to it I want both. It is really tough because I am an amazing student and I believe I can make it in medicine, but I am afraid that I cannot memorize a lot of stuff because lately I am more on the forgetting side. Film scares me because I donīt have contacts inside the industry, I donīt know if I am good enough and I feel that I donīt have the support from my family. I just really donīt know what to do. I have been making some vocational tests and every time I get the results they tell me that I can be whatever I want because I have skills for everything except for engineering or math and that confuses me even more. I already observed professionals work in both areas and I am passionate about them. What can I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Confused on what to pick - October 29th 2016, 01:47 AM

Hello there and welcome

Career decisions are a big deal and it's even harder when you have interests that don't seem like they can be combined, and you can't decide between them. The first thing is that you don't have to decide tomorrow even if it feels like it. The second is to take career or interest inventories with a grain of salt, even the good ones are flawed. If you struggle with math, medical stuff can be hard, if you don't and the tests just say that then it's less of a problem.

If you want to pursue both, you can do something health-related as a job and the art and writing as a hobby (since healthcare and medicine will make more money) If you want to do that you can do something less educationally intensive like medical assistant, paramedic/EMT and then have time for art as a hobby. If you become a doctor or nurse, you'll have less time available.

If you're set on combining them maybe something like:

Medical writing (it's an actual thing) Look into it here: http://www.amwa.org/about_us

Public health-- This field is incredibly broad. It may allow you to educate and work with people and create or contribute to health-related educational materials or research. Try looking here: http://www.aspph.org/

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Confused on what to pick - October 29th 2016, 12:51 PM

In my experience, go with a job that you will be able to support yourself with. A lot of my friends who went for art degrees or general degrees like business are still working in the same companies they worked in when they were in high school or shortly after high school.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Confused on what to pick - October 30th 2016, 12:08 AM

If you go into acting, don't go into debt. School will be a waste of time. If I could offer any advice, try acting part-time (or whatever you want to do), while going to school and studying medicine. Medicine is obviously a safe route. I'd also like to point out that if you want to help others, and help research cures for cancer, you may find yourself unfulfilled in an artistic direction. Yes, we live for art, but it's a quite different calling than devoting your life to finding a cure, rather than a distraction.

I would love to be an actor, but I know that while I may be happier in said profession, that I wouldn't be as fulfilled pushing myself into the sciences and really challenging myself to literally make the world a better place, rather than distracting the world from their problems. If you had connections, etc. I'd say go for acting. But you don't. I don't think it's worth the risk, as its already a risk even if you have the connections. Thus, I'd use it more as a hobby with the hopes of a lucky break, rather than devoting your life to poverty to maybe land it big. Especially since the film industry seems to be dynamically changing. i.e. consider that YouTube personalities may be the next Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Can't you just make a YouTube with friends, or a film club?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread