TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

New Major- hate my current one - November 11th 2016, 07:23 AM

I fucking hate my major. Sorry for the language, but research supports the fact that intelligent people swear a lot. If your reading about majors anyway, I'm sure you've heard a swear. Welcome to the world.
My major is psychology, and I've lost interest in everything to do with the subject. I fucking hate it. Every. Fucking. Thing. About it. I have NO interest in ANYTHING related to psychology anymore. Not therapy. Not research. Not human resources, although thats probably a stretch to include. Fuck it.
I am interested in environmental science and politics. As you know, both of these majors and their associated jobs basically got thrown into a ditch, doused in gasoline, and lit on fire as a result of the election results on Tuesday. HOWEVER...
I do see a pretty good opportunity: Marijuana. Marijuana just got legalized for recreational use in 4 states, with medical marijuana in 3 more states. Its coming. This bullshit prohibition is falling apart faster than a Clinton-built house of cards. Anyway, this business is gonna explode, and I want in. At the very least, I feel like I could make good money right when I start, because unless I heard wrong earlier, its the fastest developing industry in the US. However, I don't really know what these jobs even are, or what they require. Would I need environmental science? Could I somehow lobby for them with political science? Am I overlooking the fact that people didn't even need a GED to sell or grow marijuana before?
Do any of you know a good strategy to approach this idea? I can almost guarantee marijuana will be legal in my state by the time I graduate.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: New Major- hate my current one - November 11th 2016, 07:50 AM

I'd say a better bet would be business if you want to get into selling it And even if it doesn't end up legal where you are by graduation (because just because they say that, doesn't mean it's guaranteed ), you can still do a lot with that. If you want to switch majors, incorporate business somehow whether you double major, minor, or only take a few classes depending on how much time you have left. Look at the policies the other states have to get a idea of what you might need and pick a major that makes sense for both this, and that would leave you with options just in case the legalization takes longer than you expect.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: New Major- hate my current one - November 11th 2016, 02:32 PM

Are you interested in marijuana as a recreational use or..,well there's industrial hemp which a lot of products are made with. Clothing, personal care and beauty, even bricks for building a house. These are all things made with hemp. Anyway, there is activism around hemp and marijuana. There's also different stages of the industry. Like do you want to grow the plant? Do you want to manufacture the plant? Do you want to open a retail store? Etc
If you're just interested in buying/selling then probably business and simoultanrously looking into what products you can sell, like for clothing maybe learning about fashion.
If you're interested in buying a land plot and growing stalks of it, then that can go into agriculture, farming, idk what your school has. Environmental science might focus more on geology though. Maybe look into sustainable development if your school has it?
Is there a way to get practical experience?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: New Major- hate my current one - November 11th 2016, 03:55 PM

I'd just like to point out that your other two options are essentially two temporary solutions. That is, marijuana is bound to be legal in all states, likely within the next decade -- despite recent election results, and the same is true with environmental sciences. If you want to go into environmental sciences, you mind as well go into geology, biology, chemistry, or physics. All of these are applied in environmental science, but your actually more likely to get a job with one of the latter. If I had to pick, I'd go with geology. There's potential to make a lot of money within tectonics, you can be a lobbyist, etc. it's a very broad field with lots of options and a safer future, albeit not the best, but safer.

Secondly, it seems that your decision for these two may be in spite of the recent election. I'd wait until things calm down a little before dropping and switching right away. I just come from someone who went from an English Major, to Bible Studies, to Poli Sci, to Journalism, to Biology, and finally decided on Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. Just make sure you're going towards something thats sustainable for your future, and keep in mind that what may be interesting to you now, may not be in the future. There are plenty of classes I've hated in aerospace and CS where I wonder if this is the right thing for me. But at the end of the day, overall, I enjoy it -- most days. There are times I dread, hate it, want to drop it, etc. Our emotions fluctuate so try to analyze if thats what is happening.

Anyways, to me it seems like you'd do well it geology, unless you can get into a top tier school for poli sci/government. Then I'd look at PR.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: New Major- hate my current one - November 18th 2016, 02:53 PM

Well, my family friend makes over 300,000 in an area where the average is between 30,000 to 40,000 a year. However, He runs the risk of having his business raided at the federal level. Even though medical marijuana is legal in the state, it has to be changed federally. There also is a certain amount of reinvestment that goes into the shop. Owning his own business requires a lot of dedication too.

If you wanted to get into the shop part of things, a business degree may be more beneficial than either a political science or an environmental degree along with experience in some sort of retail or bakery (ever see Weeds? People like having options). Having money would be beneficial too.

One thing is that a lot of people I knew who majored in psychology, political science, environmental degrees, etc either are under employed or employed in a different field. Some are in grad school. Some have gone back to school to get a different degree.

Off the top of my head, a lot of the people are employed in retail or coffee shops. Clothing seems to be a major career and it doesn't even require a degree. One works in the business side of a nursing home/rehab that has nothing to do with her degree. One worked as a catering manager at the university.

Although, a few of the environmental majors did end up working in the field such as one does something with foresting. Another one died in a car crash right before graduation.

Also, realistically, you would need very good connections to get a job lobbying. Also, think of how many schools off political science as a major. Pretty much every college in the US. How many of those students have dreams of lobbying or making a major difference in the US?

Edit: I worked in Michigan in an ER and it is legal to have a medical marijuana card on the state level in Michigan. However, it is still illegal federally. The family friend works in Michigan.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: New Major- hate my current one - November 19th 2016, 12:58 AM

The problem with marijuana as an industry is that it is still illegal under federal law and illegal in most states in the US. This makes it hard for big business to develop. When I was in Colorado a few years ago, all I saw were a few small pot shops here and there. Nothing more. There are no big marijuana businesses yet- and federal prohibition shows no sign of ending. Even in the states where it is legal- there are restrictions on getting licensed- I think Colorado requires you to have been a 2 year resident or something like that, other states have similar rules. This is a huge barrier for the industry. While it is a good thing to think about, I wouldn't choose your major over it- especially as I think you could start something up without a degree. If you want to start something big, a lot of the time- you don't need college-- as you don't learn much real world stuff there anyways, and you get to be the boss. Having an undergrad is mostly about checking a box in an employer's mind.

Progress will still be slow with legalization. Look at medical, Cali passed that in 1996 and while half of the country now has medical, it still isn't everywhere--and that is after a full 20 years. This is just the start of legalization, progress hasn't been made at all in a large part of the US. Unfortunately - changes in laws and public opinion take time, decades even. Even in the states that have more lax laws about it- there is almost a stigma against it in the law- like many counties in Colorado have made it illegal- and I think some places restrict the number of places it can be sold,etc. Denver is going to be the first city that is going to treat it more like alcohol--by allowing you to smoke weed at certain bars and restaurants-but even then only if neighboring businesses approve of it. But yeah- there is still a lot of regulation of it even where it is legal---the regulation is mostly there to increase the chances that the legalization initiative will pass- but could make it hard for the industry to take off--especially with high taxation,etc.

Maybe you should choose something that is fairly general, like business or accounting or something? If your major is too specific, there won't be that many jobs that tie directly to what you studied.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; November 19th 2016 at 04:26 AM.

Closed Thread