TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

My lecturer is out of order. - February 13th 2017, 02:27 PM

I got two marks back today. On my first one I got 78% which I'm over the moon about because I tried really hard. I got great comments back. On my second one I got 51% and the comments told me I had basically strung together some notes and made sloppy mistakes and that I had no structure or understanding of the books the essay was on. Apparently I need to improve my writing style and throughout the marks on turnitin he's written 'this is nonsense' three separate times.

I'm in my final year of my degree. For that essay I spent weeks, if not well over a month reading and doing notes and going to seminars and lectures and I understood it and spent so long writing it. The comments aren't constructive, I feel bullied by them. I came home and just cried for about 20 minutes.

I have a meeting with my supervisor/personal tutor on Friday to talk about it and he replied within minutes so I think he knows it's hit me. I'm going to find out if I can be told who marked it (it's anonymous marking) and if I can get it checked by other people, and if I can maybe redo it because it's a serious dip in my grade and I tried so hard and they couldn't even do me the courtesy of telling me how to improve, they just seemed to slate me and tell me how bad it was. The other day my supervisor told me I can write and he made a big deal out of how that was a good skil to have, how the work I showed him was mature and he asked me about masters courses and PhD courses and told me I write so well. And now this other one is telling me I have slopping writing and n struture.

What can i do? Has anyone else been through this? What are my options here? Two other people in my class have had similar comments. We all feel like we're being belittled and I'm devastated. It's not just one mark now, it's my degree. It'll affect my grade and it might be the difference between a first and a 2:1 and I can't afford for one lecture to bully me out of a grade I deserve. Does anyone have some advice? I could really use it right about now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: My lecturer is out of order. - February 14th 2017, 09:37 PM

I can't imagine how devastating and frustrating it must be for you, in final year, only to have had a lecturer grade one of your essays harshly and not even give decent feedback.

I think it was definitely good to arrange a meeting with your supervisor. I'm not sure whether you'll be made aware of who was marking your essay since it was anonymous, but if your grade is out of line with all your previous and current grades, then you're in a good position to challenge the marking. Likewise, I'm not sure whether you'll be given the option for re-doing the essay, but you may be able to get another lecturer to take a look at it. Since your supervisor stated that you can write well, I think it would be an idea to talk about the essay and the lack of feedback that you had and see what he says.

I've not been in your position, but I do believe that you should be allowed to take action, whether that means getting the essay remarked or rewriting it. At the moment, I think, your marks are temporary until they get sent off to the examining body usually towards the end of the year to be finalised, so you do have time. If things don't work out, it might be worth getting in touch with the other two people that had similar comments and taking this to the program director (or someone in charge of your degree course) and complaining that way. Or take it to your student representative/union/committee and maybe they can help, seeing as they are supposed to bridge the gap between student and staff.

Really hope that something gets done about this. Keep us updated!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: My lecturer is out of order. - February 17th 2017, 02:58 PM

I had a meeting with my supervisor today and he looked at the comments and laughed out loud at them. He agrees that the wording is way off and that I should speak to the module leader so I'm going to do that. A friend of mine may be speaking to the head of the faculty too so depending on how my meeting with the lecturer goes, it may be possible for us to take other action. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth but I know that I'm not over reacting which is good!

Thanks for the support.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: My lecturer is out of order. - February 17th 2017, 06:54 PM

Glad to hear the meeting went well and that your supervisor agrees with you. I really hope that you talking to the lecturer and your friend talking to the head of faculty gets the results you deserve!

I know that marking loads of essays can be time consuming, but to repeatedly write 'this is nonsense' without any other feedback is down right unprofessional and unhelpful! So yeah, you're definitely not over-reacting there!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread