TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
princeton529 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aly

Question I want to go to Princeton. - February 25th 2017, 08:00 PM

My name is Aly and I am a seventh grader from central NJ. I have been inducted into the Junior National Honors Society and never gotten anything less than an A- on a report card. I started a charity for kids who lost their toys in Hurricane Sandy when I was in third grade and started playing the piano in kindergarten. I was also one of only 3 girls on the robotics team last year. My teachers are head over heels in love with me and I play AAU basketball. In fact, I was the only seventh grade starter on the school basketball team. When I grow up, I plan to be an astrophysicist, a theoretical physicist or a nautical archaeologist. I have wanted to go to Princeton since second grade, what are my chanced on making it in?

Last edited by princeton529; February 27th 2017 at 12:02 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I want to go to Princeton. - February 26th 2017, 01:25 PM

Hey Aly (and welcome to TeenHelp!)

Firstly, I want to say how much I love your aspirations! I think that your determination to do well, and how you stay focused on achieving your goals will definitely take you far in life!

None of us can really say for sure, what your chances are of making it into Princeton. But given your track record of doing well academically and participating in extra curricula activities (even starting a charity for children who lost their toys in Hurricane Sandy), I would say that you have built solid foundations for whatever you want to do in your life. Most universities, and indeed employers, may look for a 'well rounded' individual in terms of balancing academics and extra curricular and it sounds like you are already doing great in both areas.

Keep up the good work and remember to have yourself some 'me' time too

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: I want to go to Princeton. - February 26th 2017, 02:48 PM

Hey!

Like Holly said, it's almost impossible to tell at this point, because the things that most indicates how likely you are to get into a school are your SAT and ACT scores and your high school GPA. It's awesome that you're practicing a good work ethic and doing a lot of extracurriculars right now, though – that'll prepare you for high school when colleges really look at what you're doing.

Right now, you don't have to worry too much as long as you stay on top of things. Colleges won't even see your middle school grades unless you're taking high school credit classes. Make sure you keep having fun and doing what you like, and remember that it's okay to make mistakes. You might have classes where you get Bs sometimes (especially in high school), and that's not the end of the world, or the end of your chances at going to Princeton.

I hope that sort of answered your question good luck!

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I want to go to Princeton. - February 26th 2017, 04:35 PM

Like everyone else has said so far, it's way to early to say. I think that if you are already excelling this much, you have a good chance and as long as nothing slips in high school, you'll have a really good shot.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: I want to go to Princeton. - February 26th 2017, 06:11 PM

Welcome, Aly! You're off to a great start. Middle School is the perfect time to begin planning out college. I wish I was that smart when I was your age. I'm going into computer science and aerospace engineering, but if I believed more in my abilities I'd love to be an astrophysicist.

Continue in your studies and making a positive impact on society and I'm sure your chances will be high. However, make sure to have a plan b and c, just in case! It's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

I want to point something out to you. Neil deGrasse Tyson went to Harvard, got his M.A. at UT-Austin, and his Ph.D. at Columbia. Yes, he did research at Princeton, but look how diverse his education is. Consider Michio Kaku who also went to Harvard and then UC-Berkley. Or Elon Musk who learned aerospace engineering by reading books!

It's great to have a goal to get into Princeton, but as you grow up you tend to realize your plans tend to be sidetracked. I'm not saying you won't get in, but you need to prepare for that possibility to avoid devastation. Don't think you're selling yourself short if things don't go your way. If you continue the path you're on, I'm sure you'll have a great impact on the world regardless of where you get your education.

Keep up the impressive work. I hope you achieve your dreams.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I want to go to Princeton. - March 10th 2017, 01:45 AM

I would honestly consider expanding your choices. There is nothing wrong with having a dream school but I would have back ups and other choices too. I would look at other options. Is it worth going to Princeton if you may be in debt? Maybe you can have an excellent, full-ride to an instate school?

Closed Thread