TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

i dont know whats going on - February 27th 2017, 08:34 PM

I joined an organization to be a tutor for* college-aged Syrian Refugees who are learning the* English language.
This is through Skype with a 1 hr/week commitment at minimum
The first session was February 12th at 12pm in my time and 7pm in the Syrian timezone . I proctored the Diagnostic Test which I was given by the organization.
We agreed to have a session the following week on Monday and same time.
I specifically asked him what were good times for him before we made the decision. We also added each other on Facebook as well as Skype. I have his email too.

Next week came and he did not show up. I messaged him on both Facebook and Skype. I said I hope he is well and that we were meant to have a session. I gave him an option of rescheduling for another day that week. I also asked him if that day and time we agreed on is okay with him still or did his schedule change.
I figured it may be internet connection problems or the like. But I also thought the timing was bad but for whatever reason he did not communicate that to me.
It showed that he saw my Facebook message but he did not reply. A week gone by and it is Monday again. Still no answer from him. I sent him another message, which facebook says he saw thst too but still no reply.

The organization's Project managers are also unavailable and not responding. They constantly send emails to the group saying that we must reply ASAP and that it is urgent but they take weeks to reply to my emails. The project manager in charge of my group specifically, we can call her J, she* had not replied to any of my emails at all and I had emailed her about a couple of important concerns including the student not showing up. The other concern was that I didn't know how to give a numerical score for* the Paragraph writing part of the* Writing section and the Speaking sectionof the Diagnostic Test because those two sections did not have close-ended questions, and* there were not clear cut ways to measure as it wasn't multiple choice or fill in the blank and whatnot.
I also asked her about the Facebook group she was meant to add us to and the weekly Skype meetings that we are required to have with the project manager of the group, which is J. Or maybe with someone else, I don't know!
I sent a document to S, the grading sheet as I was told to send that in. She replied that it wasn't helpful and asked for the actual test with the student's answers which I gave but also mentioned my difficukty grading and giving a numerical score and then she said she just cc'd J to the email but J never answered to that at all.

I am frustrated and I feel like I am doing a lot of waiting around in the dark and when someone does get back to me it is going to be an email sounding all urgent and asking for things to be done ASAP
I dont like being held in the dark like this. I cancelled plans on Mondays so i can dedicate time for my student. I spent time preparing lessons and was looking forward to doing this volunteer work.
I could be getting paid to tutor but I chose to volunteer and it isn't easy to tutor someone in English through a voice call on Skype but I was willing to put in the work and do my part.
What do I do?
Part of me wants to wait and part of me wants to wait and see

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: i dont know whats going on - February 28th 2017, 05:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear the student isn't turning up for the tutoring sessions. I can't imagine how frustrating that is, especially when you are giving up your free time to volunteer.

Regarding the student, I think you should just carry on sending reminders about sessions. Perhaps you can send them a little while before the session, say a day or an hour before, in case he has a habit of forgetting.

It also must be frustrating that the project manager doesn't get back to you either. I think all you can do is to wait, or keep emailing. Are there other ways you can contact the project manager e.g. by phone?

I think you should create boundaries too so that you aren't cancelling your plans for students that don't turn up. Give them the times that you are free, and let them know that you are willing to compromise, but it's not fair on you when students don't turn up, or you cancel plans.

I hope things start looking up for you as I know you were really looking forward to volunteering as a tutor.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: i dont know whats going on - March 5th 2017, 06:15 PM

Thank you Holly.
I got a Facebook message from my student early this morning. He said he is sorry for not showing up and not telling me. He said he cannot continue with the tutoring program because if his work.
I told him thank you for letting me know. I'm going to email the group manager about that and see if she answers me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: i dont know whats going on - March 5th 2017, 06:16 PM

Thank you Holly.
I got a Facebook message from my student early this morning. He said he is sorry for not showing up and not telling me. He said he cannot continue with the tutoring program because if his work.
I told him thank you for letting me know. I'm going to email the group manager about that and see if she answers me.

Closed Thread