TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unknowngirl1398 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy What to do with my life? - March 26th 2017, 07:43 PM

Hello everyone,
Right now I am struggling a lot with University. All my life I have known that I want to study medicine and/or business, however I have found many obstacles on the way. I received an scholarship to study film and I was very happy about it, however, medicine is the thing that makes me happy and I discovered it just some months ago. I started studying and applying but I have been rejected 3 times and I really do not know what is going on, I have studied a lot and put a lot of effort on my exams. Also, today I got an acceptance letter from a business university. I really want to study medicine but I feel that if I donīt get accepted I would be losing two great opportunities. What should I do? I am completely lost and sad.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
InnesHilton Offline
Innes Hilton
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Innes Hilton

Re: What to do with my life? - March 26th 2017, 08:21 PM

Hello to you too, firstly we all understand the pressure behind university and the impact it can have on ourselves and those around us so you're not alone in that respect. Secondly might i add what a great combination of things to study really I've got to hand it to you for showing a profound interest in medicine i mean i can barely decipher what's what in the medicine cabinet but hey, enough about me.

Forgive me here if what i'm to write is condescending but have you tried applying for your medical studies via UCAS? - This is of course applicable if it's another university or institute you are applying to as the UCAS program doesn't qualify for use if it's a full time job you're looking for.
Nevertheless UCAS offers you many things but in particular it allows you to add things like qualifications and volunteer work to your online profile and the more you accumulate up the more likely universities and institutes are to accept you in fact you are only faced with those that will accept you and therefore this will allow you to seek out whatever place you want to go to & what you want to study all in one run.

Finally i must give you my own personal recommendation but this isn't a step for you simply just to follow as this choice can only be yours and yours only, your future; your decision. If i were you i'd go straight for the business primarily because it not only provides you with the key tools to running a successful business but because from that degree you can do all sorts.
If you want to use your knowledge to start a business in selling French grapes then the world is your oyster! But to relate this to you, if you truly love medicine that's what can be stemmed from having a post-graduate degree, with hard work and dedication anything is possible and if you really want it - go for it! I hope this helps, please refer back to me if not as i am here to help and help only.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What to do with my life? - March 26th 2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknowngirl1398 View Post
Hello everyone,
Right now I am struggling a lot with University. All my life I have known that I want to study medicine and/or business, however I have found many obstacles on the way. I received an scholarship to study film and I was very happy about it, however, medicine is the thing that makes me happy and I discovered it just some months ago. I started studying and applying but I have been rejected 3 times and I really do not know what is going on, I have studied a lot and put a lot of effort on my exams. Also, today I got an acceptance letter from a business university. I really want to study medicine but I feel that if I donīt get accepted I would be losing two great opportunities. What should I do? I am completely lost and sad.
You could inquire on why you were rejected. Typically rejection into medicine, or science fields in general, is due to lack of pre-requisites. You may be missing classes they require.

On the other hand, I'd advise AGAINST basing your entire future based on what CURRENTLY makes you happy. Opinions and tastes change. Do whatever is stable. If it's a good business school, then there's nothing wrong with pursuing business. However, if you think, for some reason, that not getting into medicine would make you depressed the rest of your life -- well then your options are obvious: pursue medicine and figure out why you're getting rejected. I just think that what you enjoy now, may not be what you enjoy in 10 years. The key is finding something that's diverse, and will provide you with many options. Business will do that.

The fact that you discovered this happiness months ago suggests to me you don't have the pre-requisites to get into the field at this time. You probably just need to retake those courses and apply again.

I don't know where you live, but bear in mind medicine is a very competitive field. In the U.S. you typically need an undergraduate degree on top of pre-requisite courses that may not even apply to your major. This means you could get an undergraduate in business, and take the necessary science courses to get accepted into med school (this is usually biology, chemistry, organic chem, and sometimes even physics -- which will be required if you're taking the MCAT). It also requires a very high GPA. Usually around 3.6+

Typically acceptance into med school is also based on extracurriculars. They want to see you're active in your current community. Medicine is an altruistic field. They want to see that you're an altruistic person who's also qualified. In other words, what are you doing to show you're passionate about medicine? Just saying it isn't enough.

My recommendation: Get a degree in business. Take the necessary pre-requisite courses at a local college, and volunteer in your spare time. Try getting a volunteer position at a hospital or something. Bust your butt to maintain a good GPA. Then, when you get your undergraduate, reapply for med school. But really only you can answer what is good for you.

My recommendation is based on the idea that you've mentioned you like business. If med school doesn't work out, you have business to fall on. And then as far as busting ass to get a good GPA, taking science courses, and volunteering goes -- consider it self-improvement.

I also don't want to sugar coat this for you. Make sure you REALLY want to get into medicine. The debt can be crippling, and if you're not willing to push yourself (as you seem to have almost given up in this post), then I really advise against it. Many med students have depression or even suicidal over the debt and tension of the schooling. I advise this knowing several people who've gone or tried to go through med school. Don't make a mistake and rush your decision. Get an undergraduate and see if you still want to go to med school after that.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What to do with my life? - March 26th 2017, 08:48 PM

Hey there,

Do you know why you didn't get accepted? If you only found out about medicine studies not so long ago, are you sure you can meet the requirements for the courses that you are applying for? For example, in the UK for some medicine courses, you have to take an exam BMAT/UKCAT in addition to your studies at school.

Is there anyone you can talk to about your options, a teacher or careers advisor? It's great that you have offers from a business school and a scholarship to study film, but I understand that if medicine is something you are serious about, it can be confusing with what to do with your other offers, especially whether you should go with an offer, or defer your entry and try the following year for medicine. Perhaps making a pros and cons list may also help you reach a decision.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread