TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Should I pursue this? - April 11th 2017, 12:12 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

A bit of background: I'm twenty-six years old, almost twenty-seven. I've been in college on and off since I was eighteen; I've had to withdraw on multiple occasions because my mental health issues got in the way of me completing semesters. My end goal is earn my Masters and become a LCSW. I think I'd be really great at it and it's something I'm passionate about. However, a couple of years ago I decided that it was taking too long and I needed to get a real, adult job and then go back to school later, so I started studying to be an MA (medical assistant). I was never really that interested in it, but I went with it anyway.

For the past year and a half I've been caught in the midst of an awful depression and I'm just starting to get out of it. My therapist recommended going back to school because she knows I feel much better about myself when I'm a student. She suggested doing something I'm passionate about but that I could immediately apply to a career upon completing my Bachelors.

I've been in treatment the last few months for an eating disorder and dietetics has really started to interest me. It's a fascinating field and I've decided I want to earn a BS in Nutritional Sciences with a focus on dietetics and then go to school to earn my Masters in social work.

The problem is I looked at the courses required for transfer today and a LOT of them are math and science oriented. While I have always gotten good grades in math and science courses I generally have to study extra hard and go to tutoring to make those grades. I'm worried it'll stress me out too much and I might suffer for it.

Should I continue to pursue this path, or do something else? I guess I'm just feeling a little nervous and some encouragement might help.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should I pursue this? - April 11th 2017, 12:27 AM

You could always start out with a class or two and if it's too hard or you decide you don't like it, you can get out before you're too invested. Also, if your eating disorder behaviors are easily triggered, it may not be the best idea. I've heard that people who have recovered from eating disorders make good nutritionists, but it could backfire too.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Should I pursue this? - April 11th 2017, 12:40 AM

I agree, you should proceed with caution in case you get triggered. Also, yes being in school for so long is frustrating and difficult, but if you really want it and you're able to do and afford it, what's a little time to stopping your dreams? I do believe that even if you have a hard time in school because of your mental health, the issues aren't the thing that will stop you from doing what you want, at the pace you need. Just because you take long or get low but passing grades doesn't mean you're not able or smart or strong! I definitely encourage you to do what you want for the best of your ability.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Should I pursue this? - April 11th 2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceCommander View Post
A bit of background: I'm twenty-six years old, almost twenty-seven. I've been in college on and off since I was eighteen; I've had to withdraw on multiple occasions because my mental health issues got in the way of me completing semesters. My end goal is earn my Masters and become a LCSW. I think I'd be really great at it and it's something I'm passionate about. However, a couple of years ago I decided that it was taking too long and I needed to get a real, adult job and then go back to school later, so I started studying to be an MA (medical assistant). I was never really that interested in it, but I went with it anyway.
First of all, I'm 28, about to be 29. I've been on and off again in school since I was 16. I was taking college courses in Highschool, and I still haven't graduated. Similar to you, I struggle with depression and anxiety. Consequently, when I get stressed, it amplifies these feelings. When I started school, I was an English Major. I switched, however, to Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. I've been back in school FULL TIME for 2 years now. And have made a lot of progress in my overall mental health, well-being, and life in general.

Look, you're never old to go back to school. Screw "getting a real job." Get a job you love. Remember, we only live once. We only get one chance to get it right. Make sure you're happy first-and-foremost. Don't worry about age. It's just a number. What matters is that your progressing to a place where you see yourself being happy. There's no such thing as a "real job." Some people enjoy working in retail (I know someone), some people enjoy science fields, some people enjoy writing, some people like the service industry, etc. There's no such thing as a "real job." Just a job.

The problem is separating your identity from your job. Your job doesn't define you. If you can get past that, you'll be happier. I get down sometimes because I realize I'm unemployed. But you know what? Very soon I'll be making six-figures in a job I like. Not making below the poverty line at a job I hate.

KEEP YOUR GOALS IN MIND, NOT WHERE YOU ARE, AND MAKE A STEP EVERY DAY TOWARD YOUR GOALS. One step is better than no steps. Even 1/100th of a step is better than no 0 step.

Quote:
I've been in treatment the last few months for an eating disorder and dietetics has really started to interest me. It's a fascinating field and I've decided I want to earn a BS in Nutritional Sciences with a focus on dietetics and then go to school to earn my Masters in social work.
If you want to go into social work, why not just study social work?

Quote:
The problem is I looked at the courses required for transfer today and a LOT of them are math and science oriented. While I have always gotten good grades in math and science courses I generally have to study extra hard and go to tutoring to make those grades. I'm worried it'll stress me out too much and I might suffer for it.

Should I continue to pursue this path, or do something else? I guess I'm just feeling a little nervous and some encouragement might help.
Look. I was a straight D student in high school. I'm not smart. At all. I told you my majors. A lot of people consider those to be "smart people" majors. They're not. They're majors for people willing to bust ass because they love what they do. I'm not going to lie. There are times I'm writing code and I get pissed, and I hate it, and I want to drop out. But I don't. Why? Because the only time you fail is when you give up. I don't want to give up. That's the old me.

Point being, you can do anything you put your mind to. Sure it might take you longer. Maybe you'll have to take fewer courses per semester. Maybe you'll need to continue seeing a therapist to deal with stress. Maybe you'll need to get a tutor. Maybe instead of spending 2 hours on an assignment like some classmates, you might have to spend 8 hours on it. It doesn't matter. Maybe you have to go to office hours and sit with the professor to get extra help. What matters is progress. So long as you try, you're succeeding. If you give up, that's when you fail. Consider Edison's quote (to paraphrase) "I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Granted what Edison did is different than going to school. Hopefully, if you fail a class it doesn't take 10,000 times to pass it, but you get the point. Even if you fail a class, you still learned more than you knew before that class. And the next time you take it, you'll do better. You only fail if you give up.

The only thing I'm wondering is if it's concerning to you, and you want to get into a social work program, why not just get an undergrad in social work? Especially since you weren't interested in medical in the past. You're still going to have to take those biology, chemistry, etc.
courses. Just like you would in med.

The key thing I think is: Return to school for something you can see yourself doing, but continue to see your therapist and get help to prevent stress, etc. And don't be afraid to take fewer courses and get help in them by any means.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Should I pursue this? - April 11th 2017, 09:26 PM

Jordan, first of all, I want to say I am so happy you've looked beyond the triggering aspect of this potential career choice. This tells me that you are growing stronger and possibly more than you can know. As much as I wish circumstances leading up to this were different, I am so happy you have a clear sight of what you want to do with your life and I wish you all the best.

You may have slip-ups where you get triggered from time to time, and your school counselor may see that you have been in wards off and on. It is so important to be truthful and upfront about everything from the beginning. From the moment you submit your application, add an additional page explaining while you may have been in wards, this has given you a new insight and whatever else. Make that clear to those who accept you into their program.

As for the other stuff, it's important you reach out for tutoring and peer support. Find a group of classmates you can bond with and go to tutoring sessions with. Create tutoring sessions of your own with them. What may be your strength could be their weakness, and vice versa. Let your professors know if you are struggling with any of the course material or works, don't set yourself up for failure because you are afraid of speaking up. They want you to speak up, because this is an important part of the working world and I'm sure you already know that.

I want to wish you the best of luck. Don't be afraid to reach out to us for tips and advice when you need to.

Closed Thread