TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Lightbulb Summer - May 1st 2017, 02:20 AM

SO this summer is huge. I really need to take some classes through the summer, but only one of them needs me to leave the house and the other two are online so that's fine. I will have to take those classes so there's no problem or questioning that.
What does have me spinning is what I want to do.
Even though I have a full 3 months to relax, last summer I took 1 and a half of those months doing a job here on my college campus greeting and meeting the new students during their orientation. I really liked that job, but it didn't pay a lot, I got paid once a month meaning I had to live with my mom across the bay so I had to commute every morning. Also, I hear it's being directed by a new person, not my old boss, which makes me a bit weary.
Also, despite the job I'll have to continue my volunteer hours. I have to do an internship class in the fall and my volunteer place offered me an internship that I can work on either in the summer and fulfill my volunteer hours while getting in internship hours (i have to volunteer with them for a year which is until next January). So there's no changing that.
I also got an opportunity to get training from SFWAR as a rape counselor. I already have DV training certificate, and there's plenty more trainings I'd have to do to actually do my career right, but I can do the training over the summer. Though, some of my coworkers who I volunteer with say that the training is really intense, and I would have to volunteer with them too for a year so that's like a lot.
I also just wanna relax this summer. This past year has been so intense and I just want a break. But I know I'll get restless just being trapped at home on the computer all day so I want something to do, but not anything too much where I feel without a break.

So, TL;DR:
-classes!have to take
-volunteer/internship!have to do
-job?want to
-training+more volunteering?maybe
-just chilling and getting some writing done?really want to
Help me figure this out.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < ē > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Summer - May 2nd 2017, 10:16 AM

Hey Raphael, I think you should do what you want to do, follow whatever your heart says. If I was you I'd do the volunteering because it won't be full time and you'll still relax but you'll keep busy. What are you thinking right now?

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Summer - May 2nd 2017, 08:55 PM

Since you have to take the classes, and it would be beneficial to continue with the volunteering in order to do the internship. So really it comes down to the job, the training and your free time.

Is it possible you can weigh up the pros and cons for the job and the training and pick one (rather than both) so that you can still have some free time for yourself?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Summer - May 4th 2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post

Is it possible you can weigh up the pros and cons for the job and the training and pick one (rather than both) so that you can still have some free time for yourself?
Well,
Job pros:
-$13.50/hr
-Get my exercise for the summer
-More time in the city
-helps resume

Cons:
-crappy hours
-only for 1 1/2 months
-new coworkers
-paid monthly and not the first month
-possibly have to do an interview (last year I didn't have to for some reason but now they changed everything apparently)

Training pros:
-might need it in the future
-more time in the city
-will help my career later when i graduate
-also helps resume

cons:
-might be difficult/triggering
-at night
-would have to ask my mom to drive me back home every tues,thurs, sat (which she might not have time/money for the entire thing)

Training seems to rule out in pros but the cons seem more severe to me (the training being difficult/triggering is what concerns me because someone at the place I volunteer at said she did the training but had to quit halfway because it got too intense)

YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Summer - May 4th 2017, 07:51 PM

If it were me, I'd go with the job and drop the volunteer opportunity. It may look bad on your resume to not have that extra experience, but your mental well-being comes first. You can't be one hundred percent efficient if there is something bothering you.

Just my two cents.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Summer - May 6th 2017, 06:33 PM

Honestly, it seems like you're doing a lot, and like you've been really busy. It's good to be proactive, but I'd take a break. You need time to rest and relax or else you'll burn yourself out. Sometimes doing nothing is doing more for you than doing something. Enjoy your time off. You only get one shot at enjoying your college experience, and the rest of your life to be proactive in your career.

I'm not sure what your major is, but typically jobs/interns/volunteering only really help with getting your first job. After that your job is pretty much what defines what you'll continue to do and how you'll be hired because no longer are people going to be looking at what you did in college. They want to know what you did with your career and professional life. Point being, it likely won't be as helpful as you think to add on the extra work. What matters more is references and knowing someone in your industry.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Summer - May 7th 2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust. View Post
If it were me, I'd go with the job and drop the volunteer opportunity. It may look bad on your resume to not have that extra experience, but your mental well-being comes first. You can't be one hundred percent efficient if there is something bothering you.
Well, I'm supposed to do the volunteer thing for a year and that will be continued until next January. I can't drop that but maybe I shouldn't pick up the other one, the one relating to the training. The job really doesn't have to do anything with my major or career path, it's just something I really like to do. Both the training and the job can be offered next summer so I can do one this summer and the other next summer but I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWillDestroyYou View Post
I'm not sure what your major is, but typically jobs/interns/volunteering only really help with getting your first job. After that your job is pretty much what defines what you'll continue to do and how you'll be hired because no longer are people going to be looking at what you did in college. They want to know what you did with your career and professional life. Point being, it likely won't be as helpful as you think to add on the extra work. What matters more is references and knowing someone in your industry.
I'm a woman's studies major who wants to go into the non-profits where I can help women dealing with DV and rape. I need certification for this and the only way I can get those certificates is if I volunteer with these orgs. I'm already volunteering/interning with one org that trained me for DV counseling and I need plenty more trainings like CROC and the rape counseling training too, which is why I want to do the training/volunteering. Plus, if the internship doesnt go well with the DV shelter, I could potentially ask for one at the rape counseling place. Volunteering is the only way I can gain connections with people. So, like I said before, the training is held year round and might be available next summer so I might be able to do that then. But what about now?? I don't know what to do now and later!!

WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Summer - May 7th 2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Darkness View Post

So, like I said before, the training is held year round and might be available next summer so I might be able to do that then. But what about now?? I don't know what to do now and later!!
I would figure out by contacting someone if it will be available next Summer. If it is, ask yourself whether you were busier this year than you think you'll be next year. Whichever portion you think you're busier during, I'd take a break to prevent burn out. But that's just me. Maybe you don't get burned out :P

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Summer - May 7th 2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWillDestroyYou View Post
I would figure out by contacting someone if it will be available next Summer. If it is, ask yourself whether you were busier this year than you think you'll be next year. Whichever portion you think you're busier during, I'd take a break to prevent burn out. But that's just me. Maybe you don't get burned out :P
I mean, I plan on taking classes next summer as well just to keep on track to graduating in the following fall. I might not do the volunteering or I might, I'm not sure yet since I'm only supposed to do that for a year and by next summer that year will be done. Maybe if I do the training next summer I can fully devote to volunteering with them then...But you're right, I definitely don't wanna burn out. I can feel myself burn out already with this semester.
If I do the training next summer that could give me some space this summer. Thing is I wanna be busy but not too busy. Since the training is out of the picture now until next summer, what about the job? The application is due soon so I should decide quick!

WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

Closed Thread