TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chocolatedevil Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 8th 2017, 10:13 PM

I'm sure similar problems have been posted before but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do career wise, I'm only 17 so I'm sure at least some of you might think that I don't need to worry about it but it's really starting to frustrate me, I left school last year due to health reasons and since then I've done absolutely nothing with my life, I don't know what to do, nothing makes me particularly happy, I feel so lost

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 9th 2017, 12:12 AM

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so lost at the moment. I can promise you you're not alone in struggling to figure out what it is you want to do though. I have a lot of people who have been through 3 years of university, who are in their 20s, and still don't have a clue! It's tough but it's definitely not uncommon, and it's ok to be unsure!

I think a big issue is that we grow up thinking that we'll be really passionate about something and want to dedicate our lives to it, but in reality, sometimes a career is just a job. If you're not in school at the moment, you could try getting a job somewhere like in a shop, or doing a short course in something, or even doing an apprenticeship! You might not be drawn to it, but you may end up enjoying it, or even meeting some new people who make you happy while you're there. You may find that you don't enjoy it, which is also ok because you can find something else later on, but you will have tried that out! If you don't know, narrow it down - start with finding a job you could enjoy, and if you don't, tick it off the list and try again.

Try not to aim for happiness as such. I think if you aim for happiness you'll always be a bit let down because not all good things come with constant happiness. Work is hard, especially when you're still figuring out what it is you enjoy. Aim to explore a bit. Learn about what you're good at and what you find joy in, and hopefully that will help guide your way a bit and stop you feeling so lost.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 9th 2017, 08:52 PM

Hey there and welcome to TeenHelp!

I agree with what's already been said. You are young and many people who are older often don't really know what they want to do. Or there are people who change jobs and careers several times in their life.

Either way, I do understand the frustration and uncertainty when you don't know what you want to do in your life. Did you have any favourite subjects at school or any hobbies/interests that you would like to pursue? These can be great places to start with finding a job or further study as it will be in an area that you enjoy or have skills in. Try looking at colleges or university websites and other options like apprenticeships and internships for inspiration.

Volunteering and taking up work in retail are also popular options when you aren't too sure what to do. As it's been said, even if you aren't drawn to things it can still be good to try things out anyway.

Do you have any careers/job centres near you? It may help to talk to an advisor as they may be able to help you find inspiration.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 9th 2017, 10:12 PM

Hi there,

I believe that teenagers these days are pushed too hard to figure out what they want to do when they are only 17 years old. I stayed in high school for an extra year, and then after that I took 5 years off between high school and college. I finally figured out what I wanted to go to school for, and went for it. I am so happy where I am now. So don't be afraid that you don't know what you want to do now. You still have time.

Brittany

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 10th 2017, 01:33 PM

Hi, I want to commend you that you are thinking about your life! This is definitely something huge to think about, and finally it's all your choice and any of your decisions are definitely respectable.

>> I have absolutely no idea what I want to do career wise.

- It is understandable that you are feeling loss about what you want to do in your future career. It takes a long time to think about it. It can happen that you are still undecided about your career even after your first few jobs! But with time you will understand more about yourself, and make that lifelong decision. Don't rush about it and think very carefully before you fixate yourself to a career path!

Think about your hobbies. Have you developed any strong interests on something? That could possibly be a good choice for you for a career because it is something that you love doing. While you should consider your current financial status when finding a job, which you might need to work a few jobs to earn enough money for a living, ultimately it is very important that you eventually get to work a job you like, because it will be with you for a lifetime.

>> I left school last year due to health reasons and since then I've done absolutely nothing with my life, I don't know what to do, nothing makes me particularly happy, I feel so lost

- You are very matured to be very thoughtful and worried about your future. Its good to think about it, but getting frustrated about it doesn't sounds good. I understand completely why you are worried and frustrated about your future, but look, they are still in the future and you can't change your future. What you can do, is to change the present starting right now! I imagine that you are frustrated and feeling unworthy about yourself. But it isn't true, you are much more worthy than you think!

I mentioned above about your hobbies, and you wrote here that nothing makes you happy. What I actually believe is that you thought nothing makes you happy! Don't let the horrible feelings to interfere you from your hobbies. They are what that makes you happy. I understand that sadness (or depression) can make you think this way, but tell yourself that it isnt true. Leaving school doesnt imply anything about your future. If you really didnt do anything in your life, its okay. Its really okay! Because you can fix it starting from today.

You can do amazing things in life. It all starts today. Get up, live your life, and change your future for the better!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 11th 2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatedevil View Post
I'm sure similar problems have been posted before but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do career wise, I'm only 17 so I'm sure at least some of you might think that I don't need to worry about it but it's really starting to frustrate me, I left school last year due to health reasons and since then I've done absolutely nothing with my life, I don't know what to do, nothing makes me particularly happy, I feel so lost
Hey, I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until I was 26. My recommendation is to choose something safe, even if you're not passionate about it. You can always go back to school later, so long as you have the money to do so (which where choosing something "safe" comes into play). I'm not saying more money more happiness, but money creates opportunity. I'm 28 now, and I can't say that I'm super passionate about what I was when I was 26. But I chose to stick with it because it leads to better options. The point is, your passions and interests are going to change throughout life. When you choose a career keep in mind that what interests you today, may not interest you in 5 years. This is why its relatively important to choose something thats safe rather than what turns out to be a fleeting interest. Don't get me wrong, do what you love, just be aware that what you love today you might not love forever so make sure you make the necessary precautions to be able to change your career if needed (which typically involves needing money).

I'm not sure what "health" issues you had, but judging by this post alone, it seems like you may have depression. You should try to seek counseling (even if its just a school counselor -- so long as they're a licensed therapist) and consider talking to a doctor. I struggle from depression, and I cannot stress how important it is to simultaneously seek both of these options, not just one or the other... both.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Bhorlin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I have no plans and it's frustrating me - May 12th 2017, 12:47 AM

Hey you don't need to feel bad. You can get back on track in no time. Just find and do what you believe that makes you happy. And everything will follow. Just always stay positive.

Closed Thread