TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Let myself down - May 18th 2017, 12:41 PM

So this year was my third and final year at university. I did 4 modules and 7 assignments in total and it was a very mixed batch. One module I aced. Not to toot my own horn too much but I really got it and as a result, fell in love with that content. Another one was half an half, I did fairly badly on the first essay and really well on the second. The third one. Well. I had major issues with the lecturer to begin with and he's having many meetings with the head of politics now as a lot of complaints have been made against him, and the comments and grades were awful. The last was my dissertation.

I've now received back all but my dissertation and if I've worked it out right, I should get a 2:1 (which is one step down from a 1st..I think it's 60-70%). Which is good, don't get me wrong. But I started out the year with 65% from last year thinking I could absolutely get a 1st and now I'm not going to achieve that, so I feel like I've really let myself down now. The only way I could get a 1st now is if I got like 90% on my dissertation and I'd be really surprised if I got 60% because I had a bit of trouble with that too.

I can't do anything about the grades now. How can I adjust how I'm thinking and see this as an achievement rather than something I've let myself down with? That's what I'm really struggling with now because I know I was capable of achieving a 1st.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Let myself down - May 18th 2017, 12:47 PM

Dont give up! You can treat that as bad, that's perfectly fine if you have high expectations. Then if that's the case, work harder!

You are capable of doing better, if you did badly its understable that you are sad, but you said you know you are capable of getting a 1st. Then work for it! You can still have the bad feelings, but dont let it be an excuse to slack anymore!

I had read your blog so many times and you really put in a lot of effort in your grades. Have some faith on yourself, if you are good, then you will do well. If you didnt do well, then improve your grades so that you do well next time!

You can do this!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Let myself down - May 19th 2017, 02:57 PM

Thank you. The problem is I can't work harder for it now as all my assessments are over with, so I know for a fact I'm not getting what I wanted. It's just such a shame because I had this one module where I've had issues with harsh markers basically giving me comments telling me I don't know what the hell I'm on about, and as a result of them being not very supportive lecturers, my whole degree is affected.

I know I shouldn't be too upset because a 2:1 is a good grade but it's just bugging me now because had it not have been for that module and those lecturers, I'd be walking out of university with the top marks possible.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Let myself down - May 19th 2017, 03:25 PM

Is it impossible to change the grade anymore? Is there any ways you can negotiate with them to fix it?

If unfortunately its final, then its okay. Don't be too sad with it even if I know you didn't get what you wanted. I know you tried your best right? I do understand the disappointment, but if nothing can change it, don't let it affect your feelings forever! You can still do better things in future

But if it happens that you can have a chance to fix it, then work harder to get the grade you want! I do hope this is the case though

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Let myself down - May 19th 2017, 04:16 PM

Since a lot of complaints have been made against that particular lecturer, I'm wondering if anything has been done about it, or whether it's possible to get the assignments re-graded at all?

I think it may take a while to start realising that you hadn't let yourself down. Things were out of your control regarding that lecturer. And it doesn't help when you have to balance the dissertation, with all the other assignments and think about what happens after graduation. It's such a big increase in workload from second to third year, that, I think alone is a big reason why it's difficult to get a first.

I remember my third year. I was doing so badly because I was burnt out that I honestly thought I would get a 2:2 when I was aiming for at least a 2:1. I did get a 2:1 and was pleased. Until afterwards when I looked back and thought that maybe if I didn't get burnt out, I could've got a first instead (I had a first in my dissertation, but barely passed an essay or two). Sometimes we just have to accept that we did our best, despite the obstacles. I also think that looking at the bigger picture of things helps too e.g. you did well all throughout school in order to get to university and then went on to get a 2:1, which took a lot of hard work.

I know this isn't much help, but hopefully, with time, you'll be able to accept your degree as an achievement rather than feeling like you have let yourself down.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Let myself down - May 20th 2017, 01:59 AM

Often times I've been let down thinking I wasn't performing as well and realized it was the teacher who did poorly. But if you're saying there have been other complaints of your lecturer, then don't completely blame yourself! Don't have the mentality that you could have tried harder, you could have studied harder or whatever because in reality, it's your lecturer who let you down. Sometimes our grades reflect their bad teaching, so maybe you should bring it up to someone in the administration. If you did as bad as you think you did, I would definitely talk with someone. Although there probably isn't much they can do to fix your grade, it will prevent other students from going through the same thing you are!
Like Holly said, you just have to accept you did what you could. Don't blame yourself or put yourself down because of that.
Best of luck!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

Closed Thread